? for Navigation Owners

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 09:09 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: ? for Navigation Owners

jagbagri...

Ah, thanks for that. I knew the diagnostic entry, it was the CAN check option. See our Canadian nav's do not have that option, nor, do I suspect, the U.S. cars that are not hybrids, so I wasn't exactly sure where it was. By the way, I found you don't have to actually turn on the headlights in the 3on/3off method of entry, parking lights work.

CAN stands for Control Area Network. It's basically a network for your car to allow different devices to communicate with each other. Each device on the "network" has a node number, which identifies it to other devices in the car. There can actually be several different CAN networks in the car. Some are high speed for things like engine functions, and others can be low speed for things that don't require a bunch of data. By the way, high is typically about 500kbps and low is about 100kbps , so it's not a real fast network.

The two wires in question are the CANH and CANL wires, standing for CAN high and CAN Low. It's a differencial signal, so what they do is put a lower voltage on one then the other. In that way, even if a wire breaks, the data can still be figured out, and the break can detected. As well, they twist the wires to eliminate any stray EMF crap in the car.

.....I know, way too much information.

Thanks again!

Dan

Last edited by Dang; 01-07-2007 at 09:13 PM.
Old 01-07-2007, 09:19 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dang
jagbagri...

CAN stands for Control Area Network. It's basically a network for your car to allow different devices to communicate with each other. Each device on the "network" has a node number, which identifies it to other devices in the car. There can actually be several different CAN networks in the car. Some are high speed for things like engine functions, and others can be low speed for things that don't require a bunch of data. By the way, high is typically about 500kbps and low is about 100kbps , so it's not a real fast network.

The two wires in question are the CANH and CANL wires, standing for CAN high and CAN Low. It's a differencial signal, so what they do is put a lower voltage on one then the other. In that way, even if a wire breaks, the data can still be figured out, and the break can detected. As well, they twist the wires to eliminate any stray EMF crap in the car.

.....I know, way too much information.

Thanks again!

Dan
Woww.. thanks for a very thorough explanation. Thanks

Old 01-07-2007, 09:21 PM
Enthusiast

Dan,

Below is a copy of a meesage from Paul29 (could it be Paulgw ? )

He sent it to me on the OEMvalue forum. I think you will be able to make use of this info.

Paul29's post :

It appears there are two shielded wires from the hybrid vehicle control ecu , plug A pins 19 and 20 which go to pins 2 ( blackwire) and 3 (white wire )on the f12 plug at the nav end the wires are black and white on the vehicles which have Nav originally . These two wires go to various points in the vehicle from the hybrid ecu including the comb meter . They are also shown to be at positions 18 (black wire) and 19( white wire ) at the FE2 plug ( 20 position , blue in color plug ) which is behind and possibly near the top of the opening with the unit out , difficult to tell . They are also at positions 17 (Black ) and 18 ( white ) on the F1 plug ( 24 pin white plug at the Combination Meter) There are only three wires from the Hybrid ecu which have anything to do with Nav , the two above and a third which directly controls the backup relay and therefor indirectly the backup lights and the reverse direction input to the Nav unit . I am trying to fit a long range remote start , not sure what the range is on the oem one ,nobody can tell me at this point . The Nav system does look interesting though , I also have the Can Camry hybrid . Does Toyota ever ask anybody in Canada what they would like for features . To have this available Stateside and not here defies logic .

Old 01-07-2007, 09:29 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks Stinger...

Yeah, I was "hoping" it was going to be as simple as connecting those two wires (it doesn't really need the third reverse wire, unless you do a lot of navigating backing up...)

But, unfortunatly it looks like there is more to it than that, and there is at least something different in the unit itself. It would be great to find a disk with firmware or a dipswitch somewhere, but I'm not that hopeful.

I'll probably try to get my dealer to take it back, then buy another one, but even that's going to be hard as they have the same part number, so won't really know if I've got the right one until you plug it in and try it.

Thanks!

Dan

Old 01-07-2007, 09:46 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hybrid2
FYI, your Toyota dealer can order you a replacement Navigation Map Disc to correct the wrong location problem under Technical Service Bulletin EL012-06 but you have to take your car to the dealer first for an inspection of your navigation system.
Done.

Pick up new disc on Tuesday.

Cheers
Steve

Old 01-08-2007, 07:03 AM
Dazed and Confused

Has anybody tried buying one in the states and putting it in their Canadian car?

I guess the best way would be to find somebody here that has navigtion, get them to buy it against their VIN so you could just about be sure it was a Hybrid NAV version.

Old 01-08-2007, 09:42 AM
Active Enthusiast

ag4ever....

Yeah, that's probably the logical thing to do. The problem is those of us that have already bought our units from the Canadian dealer, and getting that dealer to take them back.

Later!

Dan

Old 01-09-2007, 11:18 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sooty
Done.

Pick up new disc on Tuesday.

Cheers
Steve

New disc didn't arrive now to be phoned when it comes in.

If the replacement disc does happen to be an updated version of 5.1 with no change in the maps I'm going to be somewhat upset.

I drove up to Edmonton on the weekend and just south of Red Deer is a place called Gasoline Alley a series of restaurants and gas stations either side of the highway. This has been there for at least thirty years, well it's not on my 5.1 navigation DVD, when we pulled in for coffee according to the NAV we parked in a field. In addition I passed numerous interchanges that did not appear on the NAV screen either.

Absolutely pathetic.

Seriously considering asking for my money back.

Old 01-09-2007, 10:35 PM
Active Enthusiast

Sooty....

Actually even having the major Canadian cities on the map is fairly new. The 2001 maps I have only had Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal. Calgary was added in 2003. It will probably be a while before smaller Canadian centres are added.

That said, I am happy to report that version 6 does indeed have Red Deer, including many POI's for gasoline alley.

Later!

Dan

Old 01-10-2007, 07:09 AM
Active Enthusiast

O.K. I kowthis has been asked (somewhere) before but to settle a bet

Is there a mod or dealer change that will allow you to operate the phone and nav items while driving? Or.... does it take the jumbling of 5.1, 6.1 and morphing to get this feature enabled/disabled.

Quick Reply: ? for Navigation Owners

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands