Nav Owners - Fixed or Rotating Map?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 02:24 PM
2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid
Default Re: Nav Owners - Fixed or Rotating Map?

Heading Up. Much easier to follow turns on the map that way.

Old 01-12-2007, 02:51 PM
Enthusiast

i allways use heading up, north up takes lot of attention. and i dont prefer it at all

Old 01-12-2007, 04:39 PM
Active Enthusiast

Me 2

Heading up makes more sense to me since the turns are easier to anticipate and pre-route,

Old 01-12-2007, 05:33 PM
Active Enthusiast

Heading up for me.

If you are relying on the computer to tell you which way to go, why would you care which way happens to be north? It is irrelevant information.

Old 01-12-2007, 09:09 PM
Active Enthusiast

I just learned something new today. Having to twist my head to read the screen was starting to bug me.

Thanks for pointing out something that should have been obvious.

Old 01-13-2007, 05:35 AM
Enthusiast

I almost always use north-up, more or less because that's how paper maps (remember those?) are oriented and I'm used to using them. I don't find turning confusing at all. I do sometimes use heading-up as a part of split screen NAV. The left side is zoomed out at around 2 miles and north-side up and right side is zoomed in and heading-up. Like many people said, I use that setting in the residential section of an unfamiliar area.

Old 01-13-2007, 11:33 AM
Veracitorian Muser

I almost always use North-up.

When I approach a turn with directions given by the computer, it goes to split screen with a blow-up of the intersection and the maneuver I am about to execute, and that split is always Heading-up.

I do not find North-up confusing, even with the split in the other mode, and it helps be keep a sense of which way is north when I am in unfamiliar territory.

-- Alan

Old 01-14-2007, 01:12 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by juicius
I almost always use north-up, more or less because that's how paper maps (remember those?) are oriented and I'm used to using them. I don't find turning confusing at all. I do sometimes use heading-up as a part of split screen NAV. The left side is zoomed out at around 2 miles and north-side up and right side is zoomed in and heading-up. Like many people said, I use that setting in the residential section of an unfamiliar area.
I, too like the north up orentation. But I also like to navigate heading up. So, I use the split-screen all the time.

The left side is a close up (to the level where all streets show) and oriented to the direction I am driving. The right side is north-up and zoomed out where I can see pretty much a large city's highway infrastructure across the entire screen.

Sorry I don't have the settings available to put down here since I never change it and don't display the zoom level.