Looking for Hybrid Battery Replacement Options?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 05:43 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Looking for Hybrid Battery Replacement Options?

My TCH is an 07 bought in early 06 with 220,000 miles. So far no codes are being thrown. However, I've noticed the charge bars are dropping at a much faster rate. The drop from 6 to 5 bars takes about 5 or 6 minutes, but drops from 5 to 2 bars just a few minutes sitting at a light, even with the A/C off.

Gas mileage is still excellent, often 42mpg over the tank commuting to work. Acceleration is still like new. But I'm not sure how much longer the battery pack has before I start encountering problems.

I'm looking at my options. Of course the dealer can put in a new pack. I'm in San Diego County, so there are a number to choose from, but I'm not aware of any discounting the roughly $5,000 cost for the battery and installation.

I've also seen Green Tec Auto with "new generation cells", what ever that means, for $2295. I'm debating using them, but wonder what folks here suggest, and if anyone has used Green Tec's batteries.

Thank you!

Old 10-01-2017, 01:01 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Looking for Hybrid Battery Replacement Options?

Originally Posted by nash
My TCH is an 07 bought in early 06 with 220,000 miles. So far no codes are being thrown. However, I've noticed the charge bars are dropping at a much faster rate. The drop from 6 to 5 bars takes about 5 or 6 minutes, but drops from 5 to 2 bars just a few minutes sitting at a light, even with the A/C off.

Gas mileage is still excellent, often 42mpg over the tank commuting to work. Acceleration is still like new. But I'm not sure how much longer the battery pack has before I start encountering problems.

I'm looking at my options. Of course the dealer can put in a new pack. I'm in San Diego County, so there are a number to choose from, but I'm not aware of any discounting the roughly $5,000 cost for the battery and installation.

I've also seen Green Tec Auto with "new generation cells", what ever that means, for $2295. I'm debating using them, but wonder what folks here suggest, and if anyone has used Green Tec's batteries.

Thank you!
I've used Greentech and have been very happy with their service and support. I bought one of their refurb batteries, only to have it fail a month later. They actually drove >100 miles and did a replacement in the parking lot [where the car had come to rest] the next morning.

My experience is with the Sacramento office, so YMMV. There are other more expensive shops out there, but I appreciate the way these guys stand behind what they sell.

Old 10-01-2017, 02:32 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Given that your battery has not failed yet but is showing signs of deterioration, I would recommend that you get the Hybrid Automotive Prolong reconditioning system.

In 11/2015, I utilized an abbreviated version of the HA process on a friend's 2008 Prius that was exhibiting substantial mpg loss (1 reconditioning cycle vs. three).40mpg.

I provided Hybrid Automotive with the data, and they posted my results here:

https://hybridautomotive.com/pages/techstream-test

Most of the words on the page are mine (he referred to me as Steve K, vs. S Keith here... draw your own conclusion). When he posted those data, we were NOT affiliated in any way as he stated.

I recently repeated the test on the car (at the 20 month mark plus another 27K miles), and while it was significantly deteriorated, it was still > 50% better than the initial test, and it continues to get expected fuel economy... all this with a 16 year old girl driving it...

I have recommend that we repeat the process, but the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality prevails at the moment...

Once a Toyota battery codes, the HA system will NOT fix it, but it is an excellent tool in reconditioning/balancing the battery after module replacement. It is an extremely effective system in reconditioning a battery that has deteriorated (capacity loss) and has not actually experience a cell failure yet.

Full disclosure: Since about 4/2016 I am an authorized installer for HA. I receive a small discount when purchasing a unit for installation into a customer vehicle. I have installed a total of 4 in the last 18 months. This has resulted in a total of about $180 in profit for me. I have never received anything for recommending a purchase of one of their units.

Last edited by S Keith; 10-01-2017 at 02:36 PM.
Old 10-05-2017, 01:25 PM
Enthusiast

I just redid my Hybrid battery and had someone do it for me. 800-1500 $ depends on his travel time to you since he is station in MIAMI

Would be happy to share - 3 year warranty. they come to you