I've come over to the Green Side...

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 11:36 AM
SPL
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: I've come over to the Green Side...

My 1993 Camry V6 LE had a 185 hp engine, an almost exact match for the 187 effective total hp of the TCH. The TCH has better acceleration at both low and high speeds — it's only in a narrow band in the mid-rpm range that the older car's exhaust resonator gave it a power boost that exceeds that of the TCH.

Stan

Old 03-19-2008, 04:39 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SPL
My 1993 Camry V6 LE had a 185 hp engine, an almost exact match for the 187 effective total hp of the TCH. The TCH has better acceleration at both low and high speeds — it's only in a narrow band in the mid-rpm range that the older car's exhaust resonator gave it a power boost that exceeds that of the TCH.

Stan
Except the 93 LE V6's 185hp was under the old SAE testing. Under the same testing, the TCH gets 192hp.

Old 03-19-2008, 05:01 PM
Active Enthusiast

Regardless, the TCH has decent speed.

One thing I've noticed, you have to watch it on the freeway..very easy to creep up to 80 without realizing it. The car is very smooth, even a bit floaty on the freeway (in a comfortable way, not a bad way; the car always feels under control.)

I've not pushed past about 85...I wonder how fast it could go?

It still amazes me how smooth and quiet the transmission is. Overall the car is very quiet on the road. (I like driving in EV mode and turning off the radio - all I hear is "base level" (as in basic/minimal, not bass as in music, for the spelling challenged ;-) ). It really is amazing. When I drive other cars, they seem "noisy".

Hey, what's the break-in period for the TCH? (or any car these days?) It used to be 1,000 miles, then 500 miles.

Old 03-19-2008, 05:22 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mikecism
Regardless, the TCH has decent speed.

One thing I've noticed, you have to watch it on the freeway..very easy to creep up to 80 without realizing it. The car is very smooth, even a bit floaty on the freeway (in a comfortable way, not a bad way; the car always feels under control.)

I've not pushed past about 85...I wonder how fast it could go?

It still amazes me how smooth and quiet the transmission is. Overall the car is very quiet on the road. (I like driving in EV mode and turning off the radio - all I hear is "base level" (as in basic/minimal, not bass as in music, for the spelling challenged ;-) ). It really is amazing. When I drive other cars, they seem "noisy".

Hey, what's the break-in period for the TCH? (or any car these days?) It used to be 1,000 miles, then 500 miles.
The only thing I dont like is the lack of response from the tranny. It seems to be much less responsive the a non CVT.
As far as top speed, I was curious so I tried it out. I got to about 120 and the power cut out. So its limited to 120MPH...bummer lol
PS Dont try that at home kids...

Old 03-19-2008, 06:08 PM

I've owned my 2007 TCH for 8 months now and am very happy so far. I'm getting over 40mpg and have been for the last 6 months. It's a great car i hope to own for many years to come!!!

Old 03-19-2008, 10:00 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by raven77
The only thing I dont like is the lack of response from the tranny. It seems to be much less responsive the a non CVT.
As far as top speed, I was curious so I tried it out. I got to about 120 and the power cut out. So its limited to 120MPH...bummer lol
On most cars over the past 15 years or so, the governor cuts out at 120 mph (no more fuel fed to engine); might be a federal mandate? Maybe depends on the model?

Old 03-20-2008, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by raven77
Were you the one that posted the video of the TCH at a track to test the top speed or something?

Old 03-20-2008, 09:53 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tideland Prius
Were you the one that posted the video of the TCH at a track to test the top speed or something?
no

Old 03-20-2008, 04:32 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mikecism
On most cars over the past 15 years or so, the governor cuts out at 120 miles per hour (no more fuel fed to engine); might be a federal mandate? Maybe depends on the model?
No federal mandate. (yet...)

On many cars the cut-off is to protect against going over the speed rating of the tires.

Old 03-20-2008, 04:51 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by n8kwx
No federal mandate. (yet...)

On many cars the cut-off is to protect against going over the speed rating of the tires.
That makes sense...the lawyers avoid the "I was going 125 mph and the tire blew out and I crashed and now I want 50 million dollars" lawsuit.

Quick Reply: I've come over to the Green Side...

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands