iPod?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 08:00 AM
Enthusiast
Default iPod?

I'm a relativly new TCH owner and have not spent as much time looking over the manual as much as I should have - but has anyone found a way to run an iPod through the sound system? The Apple store said there was no way, but if I've noticed anything on this site is that there are people on it who are vert tech savvy (which I am not) . If you have and can share the experience (in small words) I would very much appreciate it...Thanks

Old 01-19-2007, 08:30 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: iPod?

Go to http://www.vaistech.com. The SLI adapter will allow you to run your iPod through the Nav system as though it is a giant MP3 CD. I have it and love it.

The folder list features could be better, but it's hard to tell if the limitations are the car electronics or the SLI.

Old 01-19-2007, 08:58 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Goallda
I'm a relativly new TCH owner and have not spent as much time looking over the manual as much as I should have - but has anyone found a way to run an iPod through the sound system? The Apple store said there was no way, but if I've noticed anything on this site is that there are people on it who are vert tech savvy (which I am not) . If you have and can share the experience (in small words) I would very much appreciate it...Thanks
The solution is very easy and will cost you about $5.00. Go to RadioShack and buy a dual mini jack. It is a short cord with a mini jack at each end. A mini-jack looks like the plug at the end of your earphones. In the back of the small storage unit in you dash is a minijack recepticle next to the 12vdc plug in. Plug one end into your IPod and the other into the recepticle, tune the radio to AUX and iPod plays thru your radio.

Old 01-19-2007, 09:10 AM
Enthusiast

What if I don't have the NAV system, will the SLI adapter still run?

Old 01-19-2007, 09:12 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Al Froio
The solution is very easy and will cost you about $5.00. Go to RadioShack and buy a dual mini jack. It is a short cord with a mini jack at each end. A mini-jack looks like the plug at the end of your earphones. In the back of the small storage unit in you dash is a minijack recepticle next to the 12vdc plug in. Plug one end into your IPod and the other into the recepticle, tune the radio to AUX and iPod plays thru your radio.
This sounds easy - too easy - of course, I have a knack of turning a 30 minute job into a trip to either the dealer or the emergency room...

Old 01-19-2007, 09:19 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Goallda
This sounds easy - too easy - of course, I have a knack of turning a 30 minute job into a trip to either the dealer or the emergency room...
Also see page 207 of the owner's manual

Old 01-19-2007, 10:57 AM
Active Enthusiast

It will work with non-Nav. I took your post to mean that you wanted to control the iPod with the stereo controls. If that's not the case, then a patch cord and suitable holder for the iPod will do.

Old 02-04-2007, 08:51 AM
Enthusiast

how does the dual mini jack sound option sound? (on a scale of 1 -10) 10 = Awesome!

Old 02-04-2007, 11:06 AM
Along for the ride.....

Originally Posted by bobbywalnuts
how does the dual mini jack sound option sound? (on a scale of 1 -10) 10 = Awesome!

Sounds the same as a CD to me and a lot easier to use than a FM system. I'd always seem to find a nice empty frequency only to find out that 100 miles away it was used by some station.

I spent 10 bucks for a 3 ft mini to mini cord that probably made Radio Shack about $9.50 in profit -

But what can you do ......

Old 02-04-2007, 11:19 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

When I test drove the TCH I brought my iPod with the jack that connects the iPod to the aux. jack and it sounded great. The thing is you need to adjust the volume on you iPod about half way and then use the volume control on the car to fine tune the volume level. The item that Larry suggested allows you to control the iPod using the controllers on the steering wheel and it will allow you to see what is playing on the Nav screen (or the radio screen if you don't have the Nav). If you just use the jack mentioned above you have to use the iPod to select songs and to see what is playing.

Quick Reply: iPod?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands