Insufficient Clear Coat? Easy Scratches

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 01:47 PM
Malcontent
Default Re: Insufficient Clear Coat? Easy Scratches

I wanted to do the entire hood so I'd avoid the line that accumulates wax. Also, I wrapped the edges so they don't get snagged or start peeling. I won't be able to do that with every panel though.

Old 05-14-2007, 02:24 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Lots of discussions from 07 Camry owners (all trim levels) about the horrible quality of the paint job. It is very thin, and the clearcoat is doing nothing to protect the color paint. While I expect the occassional chip in my front air dam, I don't expect the amount of damage already on my car in just the first year. I even have paint chips from road pebbles on my hood and even have one on my roof! (just above the topline of the windshield). There is no way that a pebble kicked up in front of me should have the angle to chip the paint on the hood or roof. But the 07Camry paint is so cheap that any little thing touching it is causing a chip or scratch. If I had to do it over again, I would have the dealer do a full 3M mask on the front of the car before I took delivery.

Old 05-14-2007, 04:12 PM
Malcontent

Well, it looks like I won't get clear bra on my bumper before my trip to Texas. I'll just get the bumper repainted when I get back and then have the film applied.

Also, most bird poop seems to end up on either the hood or the roof.

Old 06-11-2008, 04:00 PM
Parsimonid

Hi, new, go easy. Camry is covered in scratches, its 4 weeks old. I brought it up to my dealer, they knew my problem the second I mentioned a scratch, and offered to buff it out, so I guess its very common. I am a bit dissapointed, but more worried about the pockmarks appearing on the doors...

Old 06-12-2008, 06:57 AM
Hybrid Lover

Are certain colors better than others? I have had my 08 Jasper Pearl for nearly 8 months and have no complaints about the paint. I've only had it washed twice in that time. No other detail work, although I do need to get it in for a good waxing.

Old 06-12-2008, 08:04 AM

The black paint is the worse by far. I have had buffing work done and in the direct sun you can see all sorts of residual buff marks.

Old 06-12-2008, 08:14 AM

anyone know if the '08/'09 paint is more resilient?

Old 06-12-2008, 08:49 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by haroldo
anyone know if the '08/'09 paint is more resilient?
Mine isn't(US built '08 delivered in Sept '07). I live in Upstate NY and noticed a few long scratches in the hood, trunk and rear fender in January.

I guess they were caused by ice sliding off?

Old 06-12-2008, 11:18 AM
Parsimonid

Don't know about the newer models. Has anyone talked with Toyota USA about the problem?

Old 06-12-2008, 12:07 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cambrid
Don't know about the newer models. Has anyone talked with Toyota USA about the problem?
I have an '09 and the paint sucks! I have about 25-30 chips all over the front and hood already and its only 3 months old!
I had chips the first week!
very sad!

Quick Reply: Insufficient Clear Coat? Easy Scratches

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands