HUGH drop in mpg...Why??Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 10:07 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: HUGH drop in mpg...Why??Suggestions?

Not sure if there is really 'bad gas' or if that is an urban myth.
I always thought that stuff was regulated and monitored.
I know some places add detergents, etc., but is there really 'bad gas'? (okay, here comes the bean jokes)

Old 07-18-2008, 10:28 AM
old fart

gas is regulated and they are checked but not often.A friend owned a chevron station here for 34 yrs and he told me about the dumping of bad gas in Kentucky.He said we are the dumping place for bad gas.it is delivered and sold in no time at all and not ofter caught because the government dont check often.It is not done at big national gas stations but mostly at smaller independant stations.you dont have to believe any thing you are but i do on this.

Old 07-18-2008, 12:10 PM

Short trips that have stop & go driving is the worst thing for your fuel mileage. The ICE starts up on just about every launch from a full stop, because the Camry is too heavy for the hybrid engine to handle that. The hybrid motor is most efficient when the car is just cruising along.

Old 07-18-2008, 02:57 PM
Active Enthusiast

Ok Yes I've Been using the navscreen Consumption reading to find mpg OR the one I have from using button on steering wheel...its saying 32 mpg now for tank ...UGH..
No passengers just shorter trips...
Tank Still 3/4 full so cannot try the hill thing yet...
Been using Gulf gas since got car so was using it when I was getting 38 mpg..
Will be Putting more air in tires tonight.
If no changes in a few weeks will have to bring to Toyota dealer I guess

Old 07-18-2008, 03:13 PM

Your mileage will improve after your first oil change.

Old 07-18-2008, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by seaford
I was getting about 38 mpg driving mostly parkway to work. Now being a teacher I'm off and my mpg has dropped to about 28,29! I do some parkway, some local roads always trying to do the longest leg of my errands first. Driving the same way, Eco if using ac.etc.... Car has about 6600 miles. thanks guys...
How fast are you driving when on the parkway. The Camry EPA shows 40 city /37 highway. Many owners are getting over 40 combined.

Have you tried 37 miles per hour on a level road using the cruise in a area you could run the slower speed. Watch the consumption meter to see if it needle drops into the blue, EV Mode. Press the Disp. button on the steering wheel to view the battery and wheel. Check to see if the battery is about 3/4 charged. The arrows should go back and forth as you drive, if everything is normal.

You should have changed oil at 5000 miles. Did you put back in a 0W or 5W oil that toyota recommends.

At 6600 miles you car should be near broke in. That should give you a extra 1 or 2 mpg.

You can glance at your mpg consumption meter and see where your lowest gas mileage is. Quick takeoffs can pull the mpg to 8 to 12 till you ease up on the accelerator.

Are you using your cruise control. You can use it as slow as 26 miles per hour. It really helps the mpg unless you live in a area with lots of small hills

It's best use a top tier gasoline. toptiergas.com/ This is a site well worth a look. Once the page opens, click retailers for the list. A top tier quality gas can keep your injectors, valves, pistons and rings clean. This in turn can increase your gas mileage.

I bought some discount gas years ago. My then Ford 500 would spin over for a few seconds before starting. Sluggish acceleration with some ping when climbing a overpass. It took two tanks of a good brand to get rid of that junk gas. I was trying to save a few pennies. Never again.

You mention airing the tires. Make sure they read from 35 psi to 40 after they have cooled. If you have a low tire, it can cause lots of friction on the road pulling down your mpg.

Seaford, let us know if you find anything definite causing your low gas mileage.

Last edited by rburt07; 07-18-2008 at 03:30 PM.
Old 07-18-2008, 05:00 PM
Old Boomer Techie
Thumbs up Re: HUGH drop in mpg...Why??Suggestions?

Right On Jimmy! Oil is a big one if somebody put 10W-40 or something other than 0W-20 in it...especially if it is a bit cooler or you are in the mountains.

Check the service sticker .. and then check the oil itself. It should be fairly viscous even at ambient temperature. Also recheck the tires to make sure they didn't do you a "favor" and reset them to 32 psi or so.

I have been watching this thread trying to figure it out, and except for an outright failure of the car somewhere, this is the most reasonable explanation that I have heard.

Last edited by FastMover; 07-18-2008 at 05:03 PM.
Old 07-18-2008, 05:10 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: HUGE drop in mpg...Why??Suggestions?

Originally Posted by haroldo
Your mileage will improve after your first oil change.
Actually it almost seems as though it did the opposite!!! Oil change was done at 4800 miles by Toyota dealer. Car has now 6200 (overstated before)
Just put more air in tires so will see if that helps...Tires now have either 34(our gauge) or 38(station pump gauge)
Lowest gas mileage is the first 4-5 minutes of driving. Unfortunately around here when not on parkway, theres block after block of lights or stop signs so hard to go 37 mpg for any length of time. The hybrid seems to kick in when coming off a stop sign and going between 20-30. When I accelerate to do 35 or so the gas kicks in.
Will try different brand of gas on next fill up...
BTW my whole family thinks I'm nutz, Im so glad I found this board and other enthused hybrid drivers!!!Thanks for trying to help me!

Old 07-18-2008, 05:17 PM

don't fixate on short stretches and the display.
just check the full tank average

Old 07-18-2008, 10:27 PM
Default Re: HUGE drop in mpg...Why??Suggestions?

Originally Posted by seaford
Unfortunately around here when not on parkway, theres block after block of lights or stop signs so hard to go 37 mpg for any length of time. The hybrid seems to kick in when coming off a stop sign and going between 20-30. When I accelerate to do 35 or so the gas kicks in.
All I can add is to stay in the right lane and do slower takeoffs at the red lights. Try to find a comfortable slow speed to drive between the lights and stop signs. Even 30 miles per hour may not be out of the question. When my battery on the display shows a good charge, I can usually drive in the EV Mode between some lights.

You are right, you will get your best gas mileage by keeping the engine mostly off without slowing the other traffic that much.

Last edited by rburt07; 07-20-2008 at 02:08 AM.

Quick Reply: HUGH drop in mpg...Why??Suggestions?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands