HOw long does it take to rach a GOOD MPG

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 12:35 PM
blahhhhhh!
Default Re: HOw long does it take to rach a GOOD MPG

Originally Posted by haroldo
foolishly wasting gas on heating up your car.
hahaha!

I love how we are all driving extremely fuel efficient cars that are PARTIAL ZERO EMISSION... and we worry about leaving it running for a few extra minutes to warm up. and more than likely, when we're driving a non-hybrid car, we don't give it a second thought (at least I don't). It seems pretty silly... and you're going to more than make up for it once it gets warm out. I don't get very good gas mileage when it's below zero anyway!!

To me, not warming up my car is more of a lazy thing. Mostly I just don't feel like trudging through snow to turn on the car, then have to go back out 5 or 10 minutes later to drive away. I'd rather just get in once and go!

Originally Posted by haroldo
Life is short!
TRUTH!!!!!

Old 01-03-2008, 12:43 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

My fuel economy isn't the sole reason why I don't use the heater. I use it when I need it. When I need it is a) the windows are foggy/frosty/whatever-y, or b) I personally am over-chilled and need some warming up. Condition b doesn't happen that often. I've never used my heat much in the car. If it's super-cold outside, far as I'm concerned being in the car with the clothes I survived the walk to the car in, the inside of the car is comfy by comparison. It''s not some moral or guilt thing. Sure I do also want to get better fuel economy, save money, etc. But saving money is the main reason I don't turn up the heat that often in my apartment, either. I wear warmer lounging-around clothes at home, turn up the heat when needed and turn it down when I'm comfy again. And based on that lifestyle, wearing gloves and a heavy coat in a car with zero wind-chill and generally some degree of solar radiative heating isn't a big deal. I personally have trouble fathoming the need to make the car toasty warm every time you get in. So it's all a matter of perspective and sensitivity to the cold. *shrug*

And AC, why did my car come with windows and a moonroof if I'm just going to flip the AC every time it's toasty? Hehe. There've been some amazing drives (even just commuting home) when it was toasty and drove along with the windows down and moonroof open feeling glad I ended up with a moonroof despite no plans to get one. I don't have AC at home, though there are times I wish I did, but the worst times I'm perfectly willing to use heat or AC. I just don't think any ordinary toasty weather or cold day count as those "worst times". I'm sure I'd use the AC much more if I lived in some of these hotter areas of the country where you literally need AC to survive day to day. But I drive the way I'm comfortable. Certainly no guilt in me as motivation not to use my car's abilities, or response when I do. I just don't see the need.

Old 01-04-2008, 05:51 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

As you say - it's all a matter of perspective. I live in Ottawa. It's **** cold. I use my heat, and I don't feel guilty - my FE sucks in this weather anyway. Like Katie however, I don't warm up my car before I drive it, just because when I'm ready to go somewhere, I'm ready to go - not wait for a car to warm up. It warms up pretty quickly while I drive, and the heated seats are a godsend.

Old 01-04-2008, 06:51 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: HOw long does it take to reach a GOOD MPG

Originally Posted by KTLane
I (somewhat) disagree. It was -10°F here this morning and there was no way i was sitting my butt in cold leather seats!!!! Sometimes you've just gotta take a hit.

Then again, I let it warm up 10 minutes and it still wasn't very warm, except for the seat warmers (why doesnt the TCH have a heated steering wheel??) And on my hour drive to work my back window never completely defrosted. Have I mentioned I hate winter???
LOL on the heated steering wheel!! That's what gloves are for!! The heated seats are nice! I owned a 1987 Saab 900S that had them before i bought the TCH. They are great when it's cold. They warm you up until the ICE warms up enough to heat the cabin interior. If you hate winter you are definately in the WRONG state. I gew up in NY state and have lived all over the US and several other countries.

Old 01-04-2008, 07:03 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

If they had offered a heated steering wheel in the TCH, I would have taken it in a second! While I was car-shopping (in the winter a year ago), I test drove a BMW that had one - it was amazing.