How fast have you gone?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 08:08 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: How fast have you gone?

I've been up to 105 (with 4 passengers and luggage, and there was still room to go. Everyone was suprised how quickly we got that fast given it's a 4 cyl hybrid. I'm sure people could hit 120 before the engine governor kicks in (I never understood why manufacturers put speedos well above 120 mph in cars, as the fuel cut-off make it moot.

Old 07-30-2008, 08:16 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mikecism
... (I never understood why manufacturers put speedos well above 120 miles per hour in cars,..
My guess... when the average person drives ~60MPH, the needle is in near the middle (60 is half way to 120), so the driver feels comfortable. It's be stressful if the needle was all the way to the right.

Old 07-30-2008, 08:30 AM
Active Enthusiast

I think their is probably some legal reason. If people disable governor and then wreck the car they might have / could sue because the car was not able to show how fast they were going.

just a guess.

Old 07-30-2008, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by test54
I think their is probably some legal reason. If people disable governor and then wreck the car they might have / could sue because the car was not able to show how fast they were going.

just a guess.
These cars have built in data recorders (see PDF page 5, marked with Roman numeral "V" in the 2007 link in my signature).
A forensic scientist can look at a crash and use the data and recreate your speed, braking, etc.

Last edited by haroldo; 07-30-2008 at 08:46 AM.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:49 AM
Active Enthusiast

I did not mean crash data, that would not help someone driving the car at 130 when the speedo only went to 100. thats what i mean, crash data has nothing to do with a person's ability to know how fast they are going while driving. just another reason to sue someone I think.

Old 07-30-2008, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by haroldo
I know the car gives you an Excellent on the screen when you've been a good little boy or girl if you drive with high FE.
Does the screen say anything special when you top 100 miles per hour?
I imagine it would say "Shame on you!", "I'm going to tell your parents on you" or "If you do keep doing that you'll go blind" (you may be too young to understand that reference)
Haha, well true, I don't get the third option, but it would be funny if it did give you a different message.

Old 07-30-2008, 09:00 AM
Professional Hacker

in California, the cars ECU / stored data CAN NOT be used by the insurance industry OR the court system. It is ONLY allowed to be used by the manufacture to determine if it was a failure of the vehicle. I'm sure many other states follow this, but I don't live there, so I don't follow them.

But anyway - the information CAN NOT be used against you.... in California.

Old 07-30-2008, 09:02 AM
Professional Hacker

Oh, and I've been about 75 in my TCH. Just over 140 in my Bora. But it's sold now... that's one of the reasons that I sold it... I used it too much.

Old 07-30-2008, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by mikieboyblue
...I don't get the third option, ...
Ask someone > 50

Old 07-31-2008, 09:18 PM
Enthusiast

190kmh or 118mph. Held it there for a few minutes on desert roads. It seems governed at that speed. Won't try again I was just curious. 2 people in the car with luggage at the time.

Quick Reply: How fast have you gone?

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands