Highway milage on Camry hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 06:46 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Highway milage on Camry hybrid

Using cruise control during the break in period is a big no-no. Varying the speed and avoiding aggressive starts and stops are also important.

Originally Posted by hybridchat
I've driven on long trips and in the city and noticed that there's better fuel efficiency on long trips. On one long trip I drove close to 400 miles, driving at 55 mph (to break in), and the reading at the end of the trip was 45 mpg. On another trip, also breaking in at 55 mph, driving for about 730 miles, I got 55 mpg by the time I reached my destination. I drove through some flat roads and also some mountainous roads. I used cruise control the entire time, except when it was impossible to do so. Driving in the city really cut down on the mpg...dropping from 45 mpg down as far as 29 mpg.

Old 09-01-2006, 07:13 PM
WVGasGuy

Using cruise control during the break in period is a big no-no. Varying the speed and avoiding aggressive starts and stops are also important.

I don't really buy into that statement as a fast and fixed rule. Unless you're on really very long flat roads, using the cruise control to maintain a specific land speed will give you a varity of engine speeds (RPM's) without reving the engine excessively. I believe engine speed is more important than land speed. Problem with that is that the TCH does not have a tach to really know what the ICE is doing.

A tach would have been a nice feature to help understand this system better.

Old 09-01-2006, 11:01 PM
Enthusiast

The reason I used cruise control to break in was because I heard that it is OK to keep at a constant speed to break in...and that the speed should be no more than 55 mph for the first 1000 miles. This info came from a mechanics professor who once participated in writing for Toyota's manual. He said that using cruise control is OK. So I figured it would be safe to use cruise to break in...although I have read a lot of posts saying to not use cruise control during the break in period. I'm at 1500 miles and not driving faster than 65 mph until I reach the 3000 mi mark. Hope I'm doing the right thing......

Originally Posted by lem144

Old 09-02-2006, 04:02 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Originally Posted by WVGasGuy
A tach would have been a nice feature to help understand this system better.
You'd need two. One for the ICE/MG1 and one for MG2. Oh and throw one in for the PSD too while you're at it.

Old 09-02-2006, 06:21 AM
WVGasGuy

Having a dash like a jet plane would be cool. Give me all the information and let me choose what to look at.

Old 09-02-2006, 11:01 AM
AKM
Somewhat hard driver

Originally Posted by hybridchat
The reason I used cruise control to break in was because I heard that it is OK to keep at a constant speed to break in...and that the speed should be no more than 55 mph for the first 1000 miles. This info came from a mechanics professor who once participated in writing for Toyota's manual. He said that using cruise control is OK. So I figured it would be safe to use cruise to break in...although I have read a lot of posts saying to not use cruise control during the break in period. I'm at 1500 miles and not driving faster than 65 mph until I reach the 3000 mi mark. Hope I'm doing the right thing......
The ICE needs to experience a normal range of RPM's and speed's in order to break in properly.

Just don't beat to or baby it for the first 2,000 miles.

It sounds like your babying it.

Never take the word of a professor as golden since most do not operate in the real world.

Old 09-02-2006, 11:04 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Originally Posted by WVGasGuy
Having a dash like a jet plane would be cool. Give me all the information and let me choose what to look at.
I think Toyota did a lot of research on what is REALLY needed versus being a distraction to driving. I think they made good choices.
J

Old 09-02-2006, 05:50 PM
joe540ci

I think the jury is out and the verdict is that the TCH can easily get better milage on the HWY than in the city ,over the course of 200 or more miles.Based on average city trips of 5-15 miles and HWY trips of 30 or more.This is what my TCH gets..(about 40+ hwy and 36 city) What does yours get? JOE

Last edited by JOE540CI; 09-02-2006 at 06:06 PM.
Old 09-02-2006, 06:07 PM
Active Enthusiast

Today I did a 350 mile trip averaging 70mph. and the computer says
I'm getting 37 mpg. My TOH has only 900 miles on it and I still have 100 miles left on this my second tank of gas. The AC has only been off 50 miles since I got the car. Today's trip was in 100* temp. through the Arzonia desert and the Laguna Mountains from San Diego. I simply love this car, It rides like a Lexus, very quiet, with no wind noise, very little road or tire noise either. Cross winds or Big rigs don't do anything to it. Very stable touring ride.

Old 09-11-2006, 01:38 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Just back from a trip from Tucson, AZ to San Diego (labor day weekend)...I averaged 39.6 mpg going westbound, which includes elevation changes from 2800 ft, to (minus)-200 feet to around 5,000 feet and back to sea level. Average speed 75-80mph, A/C on constant... ECO mode, recirc, set at 74 degrees. Temps in the desert were over 105 degrees...in the San Diego area, low 80's. Always nice and cool in the car.

While in CA, we took a short day trip up to Monterey Park, a suburb of L.A. and back to our accomodations in S.D. This portion of our long weekend trip included part freeway, 70 mph, part PCH (Pacific coast highway) 45 mph, with stops in Laguna Beach, and Newport Beach, and then surface streets 30-45 mph w/lots of traffic lights... about every 1/2 to 1 mile from Newport Beach to Monterey Park... and then 70 mph freeways back to S.D. All with the use of A/C. It was in the mid 90's away from the immediate coast in so cal. This leg of our trip returned 41.0 mph.

The return trip from S.D. to Tucson, again all freeway, and 75-80 mph with A/C and cruise control set, yielded 36.9. I figure there might have been some headwinds, and it was basicaly "up hill" overall, as S.D is sea level, and Tucson is 2800 ft. Again, the same elevation changes, 5,000 ft mountain passes, and below sea level in El Centro.

Overall, I am extremely pleased with the performance, and fuel enonomy of this Hi Tech vehicle.

Oh, btw, the climb from below sea level to 5,000 feet, includes a very steep climb out of the desert. Using cruise control on this grade, all of my previous vehicles would shift back and forth (as far down as 3rd gear in my 05 Highlander 5 speed automatic 3.3LV6) "hunting" for the right gear, and the speed would vary by up to 10 mph..... The TCH just smoothly maintained the pre-set speed, without any drama. SWEET!

And the sound system is incredible! iPod allowed no commercials, a fabulous sound.

When can I take another trip?

Last edited by jbollt; 09-11-2006 at 02:50 PM.

Quick Reply: Highway milage on Camry hybrid

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands