Highest “Best MPG”

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 05:16 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Highest “Best MPG”

My average so far has been between 35 - 39 mpg per tank on the dash board, but after fill up I realize it is actually about 33 - 36 mpg.

I live in New York City and since the temperature started getting colder my FE has reduced by about 2 - 3 mpg. I do believe I'll be getting a better FE in the warmer weather cos I've experimented and learnt a few tips on how to drive a TCH "properly."

Old 01-25-2007, 05:23 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

The best mileage I've gotten on a tank of gas is...what a second I don't own a TCH yet. LOL

Old 01-25-2007, 09:46 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by benny
How do you drive differently in a hybrid? I'm still on my first tank of gas and I'm getting about 33mpg in my TCH. I don't drive far to work and half the drive to work it's cold--which probably has something to do with it. I coast to stoplights and don't accelerate hard. Are there any other special tricks? I saw a post somewhere on this list (I can't find it now) that said to the effect, "If you're not getting 42mpg you're not driving correctly." Well, my question is, what is "correctly?"

Benny
You are doing well for short trips in cold weather.

Things to that help the TCH get better gas mileage:

- drive off as soon as you start the TCH. Just drive gently for the first mile or so.

- Use ECO mode when possible. The defroster, MAX or MIN temp settings disable ECO. My ICE will not shut off at lights near as often with ECO off in the cold.

- Encourage the ICE to shut off when safe. I have noticed if my speed is 38 to 41mph and I start coasting, almost always the ICE shuts off. If my speed is under 35mph, it rarely shuts off unless I come to a complete stop. I can often coast/run on EV as I approach red lights and gain some FE.

- Avoid constant speeds around 40 to 45mph. I get my best FE at speeds between 30-35mph and 48-60mph.

- Avoid speeds over 70mph, your FE drops like a rock.

- Get up to speed at a "normal" rate. Don't try to accelerate on EV alone for more than a very short distance. Most times, it is better for FE to let the ICE start and assist than use the battery alone.

Old 01-25-2007, 02:08 PM
Dazed and Confused

I typically use the motor to start froma stop until I am going about 5 - 10 MPH, then nudge the ICE to wakeup and accelerate on both until I am just over cruising speed, then fall back to my cruising speed.

Old 01-25-2007, 08:30 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ag4ever
I typically use the motor to start froma stop until I am going about 5 - 10 MPH, then nudge the ICE to wakeup and accelerate on both until I am just over cruising speed, then fall back to my cruising speed.
Okay, I'm sorry. What is "ICE" and "EV"? "FE" is fuel efficiency (figured that out). --Benny

Old 01-26-2007, 04:12 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by benny
Okay, I'm sorry. What is "ICE" and "EV"? "FE" is fuel efficiency (figured that out). --Benny

ICE - Internal Combustion Engine
EV = Electric Vehicle

You'll see these a lot around here

Old 01-26-2007, 05:11 AM
Active Enthusiast

My FE dropped to 31 mpg from 36 mpg today. Frigid temperatures at 10 degrees and less must have caused it. I need warm weather!!!