Heat-A/C unit - How does everybody use their's?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 10:36 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Heat-A/C unit - How does everybody use their's?

The reason for electric motor running compressor is to provide AC when ICE is stoped. I would imagine compressor would either cycle or run different RPM's, but I would lean towards cycling, probably is more efficient but there is really no way to tell for sure. I can not tell when compressor is running and when it is not.

Old 10-21-2006, 09:29 AM
Enthusiast

This is a great thread. For those less mechanically-inclined of us, I gather a reasonable setting for the climate controls is ECO on, AUTO on, and AC on, with adjustment of temperature as needed. This will provide comfort without excessive energy use. Am I on the right track?

Old 10-21-2006, 05:29 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pete4
The reason for electric motor running compressor is to provide AC when ICE is stoped. I would imagine compressor would either cycle or run different RPM's, but I would lean towards cycling, probably is more efficient but there is really no way to tell for sure. I can not tell when compressor is running and when it is not.
From the TCH Manual:-

The A/C amplifier calculates the target speed of the compressor based on the target evaporator temperature (which is calculated by the room temperature sensor, outside temp. sensor, and the solar sensor) and the actual evaporator temperature that is detected by the evaporator temperature sensor in order to control the compressor speed.

Last edited by Paulgw; 10-21-2006 at 09:40 PM.
Old 10-21-2006, 05:41 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by alc13
This is a great thread. For those less mechanically-inclined of us, I gather a reasonable setting for the climate controls is ECO on, AUTO on, and AC on, with adjustment of temperature as needed. This will provide comfort without excessive energy use. Am I on the right track?
This from the TCH Manual gives a little more insite into the ECO mode:-

During cooling under ECO mode control, the cabin temperature is maintained at 25°C (77°F) even if the set temperature is below 25°C (77°F). Since the power consumption of the electric inverter compressor is limited under ECO mode control, this does not indicate a malfunction.

To decrease the cabin temperature to below 25°C (77°F), the MAX COLD temperature (18°C (64.4°F)) must be selected or ECO mode control must be canceled by turning the ECO switch OFF.

Old 10-22-2006, 06:40 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

This is the first car I have left on AUTO mode. I leave it on AUTO ECO mode and set temp accordingly. The one thing I did not that it seems there is a fine line between cool and warm air. I find that if I am comfortable it is possible the TCH will start blowing cool air, and if I want to bump it a degree or 2 then I notice some warm air starting to come from the vents. You would think they would have a 1-3 degree range where they would not cycle back and forth between AC and heat. During the warm months this was fine as it stayed in minimal cool mood, but during the fall I suspect I may override the AUTO a bit.