Heat-A/C unit - How does everybody use their's?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 10:06 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Heat-A/C unit - How does everybody use their's?

How does everyone use their heat-A/C unit? Do you just have it set to auto (at a particular temperature) and have it on all the time OR do you just turn the unit on when you want cold/hot air? What's the best (efficient) way to use the heater, A/C, and misc (eg, defrost, etc.)? I noticed that when I set the unit to "AUTO" (set at 22*) the heater comes on but so does the A/C. Is this normal? Should I be turning the A/C off? Shouldn't the A/C only be used when you want cold air? Does the Plasmacluster only come on when the A/C is on?

Old 10-20-2006, 12:57 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Heat-A/C unit - How does everybody use their's?

My system is alway on Auto in Eco mode. I bump the temperature up a few degrees if the interior feels too cool and bump it down a few degrees if its feeling too warm. Simple!

Old 10-20-2006, 01:09 PM
Enthusiast
Question Re: Heat-A/C unit - How does everybody use their's?

I have the same issue - A/C comes on if I use the AUTO mode even when the temp is set to 28C. At 28 only the heater should be working. I have to manually turn the A/C off everytime. Any ideas why the A/C comes on with the heater?

Old 10-20-2006, 01:11 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dalerb
My system is alway on Auto in Eco mode. I bump the temperature up a few degrees if the interior feels too cool and bump it down a few degrees if its feeling too warm. Simple!
Do you alsways have it "on Auto in Eco mode" with the A/C on or off?

Old 10-20-2006, 01:32 PM
2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid

Originally Posted by Roger7
I have the same issue - A/C comes on if I use the AUTO mode even when the temp is set to 28C. At 28 only the heater should be working. I have to manually turn the A/C off everytime. Any ideas why the A/C comes on with the heater?
Yes. To make sure the humidity levels inside the car are kept low enough so that the windows don't fog up on the inside when it is cold outside.

Old 10-20-2006, 01:41 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TKCamry
Yes. To make sure the humidity levels inside the car are kept low enough so that the windows don't fog up on the inside when it is cold outside.
Does having the A/C on all the time (regardless of temperature, more so when it's hot air) have a detrimental effect on the system? Does having the A/C on constantly mean that you have to recharge the A/C quite regularly?

Old 10-20-2006, 01:46 PM
2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid

Originally Posted by leepark
Does having the A/C on all the time (regardless of temperature, more so when it's hot air) have a detrimental effect on the system? Does having the A/C on constantly mean that you have to recharge the A/C quite regularly?
I can't say for sure, but I doubt that the auto climate system suffers from being on all the time. In my last car I set a temp on the system and left it that way the whole time for 6 yrs. Never had 1 problem with the AC on that Car(Pontiac Bonneville) and never touched the AC charge..

Old 10-20-2006, 02:42 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by leepark
Do you alsways have it "on Auto in Eco mode" with the A/C on or off?
I leave the A/C on. As TKCamry said, it dehumidifies the air. If the TCH is like most other cars, the A/C compressor should have a clutch that disengages when the system decides it isn't needed so even though the A/C light is on, I don't think that necessarily means the engine is using energy to run the compressor. Given all the other engineering that went in to the TCH to make it efficient I'd assume they would make the climate control system as effecient as possible as well.

Old 10-20-2006, 02:55 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

There is no clutch on TCH compressor, it is powered by electric motor. Clutch is required on belt driven compressor to disingage it from ICE in regular car. Here the electric motor turns on and off, as required. Running compressor at least every few weeks is required for it's longevity, so all the parts get properly lubricated. Since the feeling of hot or cold is relative to humidity, your own body temperature, the way you're dressed and even wind I adjust it accordingly. After all the controls are under my fingertips, right side of steerring wheel.

Old 10-20-2006, 04:48 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pete4
There is no clutch on TCH compressor, it is powered by electric motor. Clutch is required on belt driven compressor to disingage it from ICE in regular car. Here the electric motor turns on and off, as required.
Interesting, thanks Peter. So it does potentially cycle on and off then? Meaning that even though the A/C light is on, the compressor may or may not be running.

Quick Reply: Heat-A/C unit - How does everybody use their's?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands