Headrest uncomfortable?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 09:19 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Headrest uncomfortable?

I was thinking about it from the very beginning but this tubing looks like it's going to crack if bended and then what?

Old 07-31-2007, 10:55 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I personally don't have a problem with the headrests. As mentioned previously my head typically doesn't touch the headrest. I took about an 1100 mile trip without a problem.

Old 07-31-2007, 04:26 PM

As mentioned before not everybody has the same posture and that's the problem even with the safety tests. I'm tall, slim and have straight back so my head rests on top of every headrest of every car I ever drove and TCH is pushed too much forward for me. I don't feel comfortable even on my 2 hour daily commute. I'm not sure where it's going to end, because if people keep on leaning forward, away from the headrest, are the car makers going to push the headrests forward even more to protect them? I think this weekend it will be hammer time for me. I have some heavy duty driving coming up and as it is my neck begins to hurt after few hours and if I take the headrest off any rear end collision will break my neck, since the back of the seat barely reaches top of my shoulders. I wish I had some junkyard close by, I really think those metal posts will break if bended back.

Old 07-31-2007, 04:32 PM

double post

Last edited by Pete4; 07-31-2007 at 06:50 PM.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:47 PM
Roy
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pete4
As mentioned before not everybody has the same posture and that's the problem even with the safety tests. I'm tall, slim and have straight back so my head rests on top of every headrest of every car I ever drove and TCH is pushed too much forward for me. I don't feel comfortable even on my 2 hour daily commute. I'm not sure where it's going to end, because if people keep on leaning forward, away from the headrest, are the car makers going to push the headrests forward even more to protect them? I think this weekend it will be hammer time for me. I have some heavy duty driving coming up and as it is my neck begins to hurt after few hours and if I take the headrest off any rear end collision will break my neck, since the back of the seat barely reaches top of my shoulders. I wish I had some junkyard close by, I really think those metal posts will break if bended back.
I'm looking at a couple of 20+ hour trips and am not looking forward to them with the head rest in it's current cnfiguration. As mentione not everybody has the same posture. I'm thinking of looking around to see what else will interchange with it. Does anybody have a Hollander book?

Old 07-31-2007, 04:59 PM
Roy
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Roy
I'm looking at a couple of 20+ hour trips and am not looking forward to them with the head rest in it's current cnfiguration. As mentione not everybody has the same posture. I'm thinking of looking around to see what else will interchange with it. Does anybody have a Hollander book?
I just tried a bit of a alteration. I reversed the head rest. It won't adjust as the notch's are on the other side but it does move it back a couple of inches. I'll try it in the morning for comfort.

Old 07-31-2007, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Roy
I just tried a bit of a alteration. I reversed the head rest. It won't adjust as the notch's are on the other side but it does move it back a couple of inches. I'll try it in the morning for comfort.
I tried that already, in backward position it's too far away, since not only it is bended the other way, the majority of padding is on the other side, but maybe it will work for you? Funny thing is my GF bought me small pillows for my car, the type you would attach to the headrest and I have never ever mentioned anything to her and they would almost work if I could keep them somehow attached to the middle of the headrest, as it is they're held by single rubber band and they drop down to position right between the headrest and seat, which is too low for me (of course that's with reversed headrest). I would imagine you could cut your own notches with dremel tool or even simple metal file and you don't need much.
Maybe if I had some tight headrest cover, that could keep the pillow in proper position, I think I may try that. Reverse the headrest, get some cover for it and stick pillow underneath for better support.

Old 08-01-2007, 08:16 AM
Roy
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pete4
I tried that already, in backward position it's too far away, since not only it is bended the other way, the majority of padding is on the other side, but maybe it will work for you? Funny thing is my GF bought me small pillows for my car, the type you would attach to the headrest and I have never ever mentioned anything to her and they would almost work if I could keep them somehow attached to the middle of the headrest, as it is they're held by single rubber band and they drop down to position right between the headrest and seat, which is too low for me (of course that's with reversed headrest). I would imagine you could cut your own notches with dremel tool or even simple metal file and you don't need much.
Maybe if I had some tight headrest cover, that could keep the pillow in proper position, I think I may try that. Reverse the headrest, get some cover for it and stick pillow underneath for better support.
I tried it for a 30 mile ride and it was fine. It is back a bit farther that I would like but it is way more comfortable than the factory position. I can always lean back to.
If I get hammered from the back it will do it's job.

Old 08-01-2007, 09:02 AM
Veracitorian Muser

How about trying a cushion, such as a nice sheep's skin, over the seat, not including the headrest. The extra inch or so of seat thickness would be equivalent to moving the headrest back an equal amount.

-- Alan

Old 08-01-2007, 02:47 PM
Roy
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by alan_in_tempe
How about trying a cushion, such as a nice sheep's skin, over the seat, not including the headrest. The extra inch or so of seat thickness would be equivalent to moving the headrest back an equal amount.

-- Alan
That is a thought worth looking into.

Quick Reply: Headrest uncomfortable?

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands