Got a new Camry Hybrid w/ Navigation, but ... read on my 9 issues, a bit disappointed

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 03:38 PM
AKM
Somewhat hard driver
Default Re: Got a new Camry Hybrid w/ Navigation, but ... read on my 9 issues, a bit disappointed

Have you ever had your hearing tested? It sounds (pun intended) like you have extraordinarily good hearing?

Old 08-21-2006, 10:25 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Arrow Re: Got a new Camry Hybrid w/ Navigation, but ... read on my 9 issues, a bit disappointed

Regarding point #2, please see my recent post about Bluetooth. I had the same problem, and never imagined it could be my mobile phone. However, when I changed to a different Bluetooth phone, the *apparent* microphone problem completely disappeared. Hard to believe, but true.

Old 08-22-2006, 05:59 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Got a new Camry Hybrid w/ Navigation, but ... read on my 9 issues, a bit disappointed

I actually checked with the Toyota Customer Service; and my new Samsung T809 is an approved phone. Well, that's what they say at least. But, I'll certainly try with another phone. The fact that I also have simialr problem with my voice command recognition makes me think that it would be a microphone problem.
Thanks

Old 08-22-2006, 06:05 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

I find the Voice Recognition system VERY problematic. I find it problematic on my wife's '07 XLE-V6 as well as on my traded-in '04 Prius. IMO Voice Recognition is still not ready for prime time.
J

Old 08-22-2006, 08:17 AM
Enthusiast

My Bluetooth system has it's quirks, especially the first day I paired the cell phone with it but since then it seems to work pretty well.

Old 08-22-2006, 08:27 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by schmidtj
I find the Voice Recognition system VERY problematic. I find it problematic on my wife's '07 XLE-V6 as well as on my traded-in '04 Prius. IMO Voice Recognition is still not ready for prime time.
J
I agree. I don't have any trouble "dialing by name" since it's matching what I've already recorded. But recently while "dialing by number" it would always get at least one number wrong, regardless of how slowly or clearly I spoke. I started shouting at the system, told it where to go and dialed it on my cell phone.

Old 08-22-2006, 10:54 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Got a new Camry Hybrid w/ Navigation, but ... read on my 9 issues, a bit disappoi

Originally Posted by billy
1- Voice commands are not recognized by the system; microphone seems like not working...
Not recognized or not responded to at all? If it is the same system they use in the Prius, it is not 'user trainable' which is unfortunate. I don't use mine much, but if I say something it doesn't 'get', the response is something like "That command is only available on..." or "setting temperature to ..." etc.

In the Prius, the microphone is in the mirror. You have to speak 'naturally', run the words together don't:
enunciate
every
word
as
you
speak
3- While the car is moving; a metal scraping or a metal scratching noise comes from somewhere; this is more audible when the driver window is open. It gets slightly louder while breaking.
Um, you didn't just come from a camping trip with 'campfire stories' did you? Is there a hook hanging from the door? Sorry, couldn't help what popped it my head

Old 08-30-2006, 12:01 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Got a new Camry Hybrid w/ Navigation, but ... read on my 9 issues, a bit disappoi

Regarding the strange static sound that you hear as cars drive by, I have also noticed this strange sound. I did some research and figured out why this happens. Lucky for you, it means that this is most likely not a problem with your car. Here is a very brief summary:

Basically, the special glass in the Camry works it's magic by absorbing an additional, specific frequency range of sound that are most noticable (and annoying) inside a vehicle (like rushing air), compared to normal glass. When a frequency of sound is introduced that is not within this specific range, it is passed into the interior of the car. The staticky noise of passing cars' tires rolling on pavement is one of those sounds that is not absorbed by either type of glass. On the cheap glass, the tire sound is passed into the vehicle along with the louder wind sounds and other misc sounds. On the TCH glass, the tire sound passes through without any louder sounds to mask it out, thus making it more noticable.

Initially, I had been spooked by the odd noise of cars rushing by, until I did research and experimented with a 2005 Camry and my 2007 Camry Hybrid. The 2007 TCH is much quieter inside, even with the odd sound of passing cars. I hope this helps... It was VERY difficult turning a 4 page scientific research paper (with language I had trouble understanding) into a short post on this site. I'll see if I can find a link to the paper to post in this thread.

Last edited by andrewbmoore; 08-30-2006 at 12:03 PM.
Old 08-30-2006, 12:16 PM
Enthusiast

Thank you for the feedback, it is just that this sound is really annoying as well. I wish they had done a better job in filtering that frequency as well. Sometimes that sound gets so bad that I can hardly hear the music on.

Old 08-30-2006, 03:34 PM
Active Enthusiast

Hmm... The staticky sound shouldn't be that bad. It almost seems as though you have a leak or gap in your door area that is letting the sound in.

Quick Reply: Got a new Camry Hybrid w/ Navigation, but ... read on my 9 issues, a bit disappointed

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands