Getting my Camry on Friday, now what?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 12:56 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Getting my Camry on Friday, now what?

Finished the iGuide (is that from Apple? iPod, iPhone, iCal and now iGuide?)
I have a few questions:
  • What's the story with the "two week of non use and you have a dead car, call your dealer"?
  • I was a little foggy on jumping the battery
    • Can a tradional car jump a hybrid?
    • Can a hybrid jump another car?
    • Does AAA deal with dead hybrids?
  • How is the battery in extreme cold?
  • Can you elaborate on engine breaking, is that like downshifting a car with manual transmission?
  • Do the brakes wear out like a traditional car? Are there brake pads or is the braking system all the regeneration system? Does this need to be replaced?
  • Based on Prius' experince (since the Camry is too new), what is the expected life of the battery?
  • The bluetooth phone set up looks interesting. Will the display show caller information, if the person is in my Treo's address book?
Thanks!

Last edited by haroldo; 11-15-2007 at 03:26 AM.
Old 11-15-2007, 04:13 AM
blahhhhhh!

Originally Posted by haroldo
I have a few questions:
  • The bluetooth phone set up looks interesting. Will the display show caller information, if the person is in my Treo's address book?
Thanks!

I have a Treo 680 and I have yet to make a successful bluetooth connection People with other models have been able to, though, which makes it all the more frustrating.

Old 11-15-2007, 06:25 AM
Enthusiast

I have a few questions:
  • What's the story with the "two week of non use and you have a dead car, call your dealer"?
  • Can you elaborate on engine breaking, is that like downshifting a car with manual transmission?
  • Do the brakes wear out like a traditional car? Are there brake pads or is the braking system all the regeneration system? Does this need to be replaced?
  • Based on Prius' experince (since the Camry is too new), what is the expected life of the battery?
Thanks!
Spend a little time and do a search on each item as they have been hashed over many times.

Old 11-15-2007, 06:54 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

As for the extreme cold question, I'll say I never had any problem. This past Feb it got well below freezing for a while there (my FE dropped under 30 mpg for a tank, a pretty big hit), but never had any problems with the car, starting it, running it, anything. Engine braking isn't quite comparable to downshifting but I don't remember what I've read about the mechanics of it to really give much more. At least not clearly. With my half clue I could maybe give you a quarter of a clue, hehe.

Old 11-15-2007, 07:10 AM
Active Enthusiast

I have a few questions:
Other threads site months for the hybrid battery. The 12volt battery can be drained by the keyless entry system (although it has an automatic shutdown). You can always disconnect the 12v battery for long periods
Yes (but read instructions), No (bad idea), 12v can be jumped by AAA but hybrid battery cannot -- they will tow to Toyota dealer.
No problems reported with starting. Efficiency drops, of course.
"B" position in gear shift give engine braking similar to a manual transmission, but it is better to use the brake which gives regenerative braking (and recharges the battery).
Brakes last longer but do wear out eventually. The regenerative system (which is part of the power train) doesn't wear out, only the brake pads.
In most cases it appears to be the life of the car.

Old 11-15-2007, 02:00 PM
Dazed and Confused

Originally Posted by Mystifier
Looking at that page I see it mentions to avoid "Racing the Hybrid system".

Can anyone elaborate on what that means exactly?

Thanks!
That is when you try and get the body of the car going faster than the hybrid system, so the body will win the race and the hybrid system will lose.

Just a guess.

Old 11-15-2007, 05:06 PM
Active Enthusiast

I have a few questions:
  • . . .
  • . . .
Thanks!

Enjoy the car.

2 weeks = dead car: Normally hog-wash. Item to watch out for: in '07's, the rear seat lights were NOT on the automatic 20 minute shut-down timer. (Driver and Passenger interior lights would shut off 20 minutes after turning off car to keep battery (small 12V one) from being drained.) Not sure if it has been fixed in '08.

Engine braking -- As has been mentioned. One thing to add: dropping into "B" to control speed down a long hill will disable Cruise Control. (In my previous cars w/ automatic transmissions, I would drop into 2nd (or 3rd)
and leave CC on to keep speed at desired setting.)