Gentlemen: STOP your engines!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 09:00 AM
WVGasGuy
Default Re: Gentlemen: STOP your engines!!!

I'll do my best to help us hit a 39 mile average for our database

I was looking at my milage database and playing with my EXCEL spreadsheet of my milage info, and I find it incredible as to how sensitive MPG figures are when you're at this high of a level of FE. I have over 5000 miles logged now and am averaging 38.61 mpg. To get to the 39 level I would have only had to use 1.3 less gallons.

While it's fun to see who can top who, I realize only the truly fanatical can keep this up, especially over the life of a car. So, I want to invite even more of you to be adding your milages to the database so we can prove that the TCH is truly a remarkably effecient family sedan and that anyone can average 37 if they are truly interested in FE. Don't be intimidated by the 40+ people. This "upper level" of milage is really dependant on weather, climate and geographical areas. Being able to maintain 37 in a mountain state is possibly more incredible than averaging say 42 in Arizona. The real indicator would be impossible to prove anyway and that's comparing the milage of your TCH against another vehicle in the same area doing the same driving. EPA estimates are only good as guidelines between vehicles. I will say that the TCH is the ONLY vehicle I've owned (37+ cars and trucks) that has consistantly been able to meet (and beat) the EPA estimates. It's the only one I've seen that has the ability to far exceed the EPA ratings by the average person.

Point is those of you getting 37 versus those getting 40 mpg, over your first 1000 miles there is only 2 gallons difference in the amount of gas you've used.

If you had a gas guzzler in the past then you're saving money and using a lot less gas reguardless if your number is 37 or 40. Enjoy driving again!

Old 06-25-2006, 10:16 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Arrow Re: Gentlemen: STOP your engines!!!

Since yesterday, our average moved from 37.4 to 37.5 MPG. We got our groove back!

Old 06-25-2006, 10:50 AM
2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid

Originally Posted by stevenvillatoro
Since yesterday, our average moved from 37.4 to 37.5 MPG. We got our groove back!
Do you mean the average for all cars or just yours?

The average for all Camry Hybrids has dropped to 37.0 median and 37.3 mean.

Copied from database:
Toyota Camry Hybrid 2WD ECT-i
37.0 37.3 35.8–38.9 2.4 0.4 39

Old 06-25-2006, 11:10 AM

I meant the average for all cars. In the blink of an eye, we dropped from 37.5 to 37.0... one minute we're up, and the next minute... < dialing suicide hotline >

Old 06-25-2006, 11:19 AM
2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid

Originally Posted by stevenvillatoro
I meant the average for all cars. In the blink of an eye, we dropped from 37.5 to 37.0... one minute we're up, and the next minute... < dialing suicide hotline >
I think getting to your goal of all TCHs averaging 39 MPG here will be hard to meet. The Camry is targeted more at the average driver than the people who bought a Prius or Honda Civic. And their drivers won't be as interested in attaining maximum MPG. Their is interest in getting better mileage, just not as fanatical as a Prius' drivers would be. After all, like myself, the Camry Hybrid base is moving from cars getting 20 to 22 MPG for the most part. Getting 35 MPG or more without changing driving habits is the TCHs big selling point. And attaining that will satisfy the majority of owners.

Old 06-25-2006, 11:54 AM

Not sure if it will be easy or hard... it just seems like a fun (optional) way for many of the people here to participate together, and an incentive to learn more about how to get better mileage meanwhile.

Now when I get asked why I'm driving so slowly, I can say I'm just doing it "for the team."

Old 12-04-2006, 10:51 AM
Recent Hybrid convert

Originally Posted by <it could've been anyone of us>
I'll do my best to help us hit a 39 mile average for our database
Just bringing this thread back to the "top", reminiscing about those naive days when our cars were still spankin' new...

With the winter lurking ahead, I fully expect our combined averages to get even lower pretty soon. As of today, we're at 37.0 median, 37.1 mean, range of 35.3–39.2 for middle 50%... Those are actually pretty darn good #'s when you consider that the ones back in late June (37.0, 37.3, 35.8–38.9) were achieved by many of the "early" owners, i.e. likely die-hard FE-seekers (unlike myself, GRIN).

Finally, I can't agree more with the following (save for the part where I added my extra comment):
Originally Posted by WVGasGuy
While it's fun to see who can top who, I realize only the truly fanatical can keep this up, especially over the life of a car. So, I want to invite even more of you to be adding your mileages to the database so we can prove that the TCH is truly a remarkably efficient family sedan and that anyone can average 37 if they are truly interested in FE [extra comment: yes, some of us cannot reach 37 due to extenuating circumstances: duly acknowledged and completely understood!]. Don't be intimidated by the 40+ people. This "upper level" of mileage is really dependent on weather, climate and geographical areas. Being able to maintain 37 in a mountain state is possibly more incredible than averaging say 42 in Arizona. [...] If you had a gas guzzler in the past then you're saving money and using a lot less gas regardless [of whether] your number is 37 or 40. Enjoy driving again!
Happy motoring!!! and keep up with -- or start adding your #'s to -- the database, thanks!

Last edited by HybridFan; 12-04-2006 at 10:59 AM.
Old 12-04-2006, 11:13 AM

Thanks for the reminder, HybridFan... you made me smile!

Old 12-08-2006, 11:18 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Winter months are doing it. Mine is down.

Old 12-11-2006, 09:39 AM
Enthusiast

I'm new to this posting site, but I can say that "Feather-footing" is the way to go! Just don't do it when you've got a type-A driver on your tail. My daily commute is 76 miles round-trip, with 72 of it highway miles. I manage around 42-44 MPG if I'm careful. My biggest magilla is the stop 'n' go traffic during the busy morning commute. Best mileage seems to be in the steady 35-45mph range (you know, less wind resistance, higher speed at medium torque requirements for the tranny). I find that I challenge myself to try and maximize the tank MPG, and boy is it great to see the "EXCELLENT" flashing on the "Mileage this trip" whenever I turn off the engine. I'll start posting my mileage today!!

Quick Reply: Gentlemen: STOP your engines!!!

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands