Gentlemen: STOP your engines!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2006, 09:29 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Arrow Gentlemen: STOP your engines!!!

For those of you who 'compare' mileage (admit it... which of of us doesn't compare?), you may have noticed that we experienced a sad loss today.

For the first time since the Camry Hybrid forum opened, our average mileage for all Camries in the database lost 1 MPG, slipping from 38 to 37.

Now, if you investigate a little further, you'll notice that it's really just 37.4, which gets rounded down to 37 on the summary screen. But still, it'd be nicer to see the numbers going UP rather than DOWN, as we get more proficient with our new metal beasts.

Anyone else up for the challenge of hitting a 39 mile average for our database?

Old 06-24-2006, 09:56 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Gentlemen: STOP your engines!!!

Steve,

A fantastic idea and I will do my darndest to help the cause (hey, I just gotta get my 'Excellent!' fix, ya know?) but I'm usually dragging around a family of four in my TCH and may not be able to beat the goal. Sure, I have a photo showing 86.6 MPG, but I bet I'll get a tad less than that as an average.

Old 06-24-2006, 10:06 AM
Arrow Re: Gentlemen: STOP your engines!!!

Family of four... reducing weight will improve mileage... try running your errands before mealtimes to avoid hauling around unnecessary burgers and chicken thighs. Possibly have your three other family members all use the rear seat, so that you can eliminate the weight of the front passenger seat... (more ideas to follow)...

Old 06-24-2006, 10:25 AM

It's the french fries I'm concerned about. Too bad the TCH isn't biodisel compatable: I could have the fast food grease poured directly into the engine, and it would help my tank FE.

At this moment, we have a no food policy in the car. I'd really like to get at least 1000 miles in it before the seats are stained with Hi-C.

BTW, if anybody out there reading this is considering this as a family car, it's great. The back windows are high, but the kids are in boosters so they can see out. There's also a little seat belt clip tucked up in the seat (check it out - every TCH has them) that lowers the belt across the chest of children...very cool. I programmed all four doors to unlock when I touch the driver's door, too. What a car.

Old 06-24-2006, 08:09 PM
Enthusiast

Family of 4 - argggh! That is what dragged my mileage down. My 1st tank too. Oh well. Plus the 100's in heat everyday this week and next. Oh well. Maybe I can just drive down hill all week.

Old 06-24-2006, 08:17 PM
HSD Organic Interface

Originally Posted by Freeze
There's also a little seat belt clip tucked up in the seat (check it out - every TCH has them) that lowers the belt across the chest of children...very cool.
I was actually a bit dissappointed with these. They aren't anything new, my old 98 base model ultra cheapo Cavalier had them too, and they actually worked a bit better (probably because the Cav had smaller rear setting more so that the clips did a better job). I wish the rear seat belts were adjustable like the fronts, but I can understand why that is hard to do...

Old 06-24-2006, 08:19 PM

With any luck I'll be able to help boost the MPG this Friday. My 2nd tank average is showing 45 mpg after 210 miles, despite a few short (10 minute) trips today.

I'll do my best to help us hit a 39 mile average for our database

Old 06-24-2006, 08:23 PM

Thanks, everybody, for helping the 'Undermiler.' I was always the last to be picked on kickball teams, too...darnit.

Wait, I think I have a solution! I'll have the kids and wife run along side the car. This way, the car will get better FE, everybody will get exercise, and I'll look way cool in my new ride. Sweet.

Old 06-24-2006, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Droid13
I was actually a bit dissappointed with these. They aren't anything new, my old 98 base model ultra cheapo Cavalier had them too, and they actually worked a bit better (probably because the Cav had smaller rear setting more so that the clips did a better job). I wish the rear seat belts were adjustable like the fronts, but I can understand why that is hard to do...
I see. My TCH replaces a 1995 Dodge Neon, so I heck, the electric windows in the TCH seem way too cool. Heck, I didn't even really have headlights with my Neon...just bright parking lights.

Old 06-24-2006, 10:10 PM
Active Enthusiast

And I'll stop letting my husband drive the car, he's not a mileage fanatic like the rest of us. On the freeway today I kept seeing 20 mpg on the gauge when he was driving!!! I only said something once then gave up to keep the peace...I guess a marriage is more important than an extra 2 mpg or so...right???? (Of course, I'm debating that one since he's ruining my tank average...)

Quick Reply: Gentlemen: STOP your engines!!!

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands