GAS MILEAGE

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 07:28 PM
Happy 07 TCH Owner
Default Re: GAS MILEAGE

SouthOfTucson: I'm glad to see that people on this forum have a great sense of humor.

Old 10-17-2006, 10:04 AM
Active Enthusiast

Is there any minimum mileage to be done each time to get a good FE? I drive only 3 miles each day to work on local roads and the FE even with all techniques applied is only 36.6. Sometimes I drive an additional 14 miles in the midday.

Old 10-17-2006, 10:28 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by greenvillehybrid
Is there any minimum mileage to be done each time to get a good FE? I drive only 3 miles each day to work on local roads and the FE even with all techniques applied is only 36.6. Sometimes I drive an additional 14 miles in the midday.
The car is it's least efficient while cold. You're not going to be in EV mode very much. Three miles each way getting 36.6 is pretty good.

Old 10-17-2006, 11:35 AM
Happy 07 TCH Owner

My wife drives 2 1/2 miles each way to and from work 5 days a week. Because of this her average is only about 29mpg. The temperature is now in the 50's and 60's. Sounds like you are doing great.

Old 10-17-2006, 01:54 PM
Active Enthusiast
Unhappy Re: GAS MILEAGE

Originally Posted by Orcrone
The car is it's least efficient while cold. You're not going to be in EV mode very much. Three miles each way getting 36.6 is pretty good.
If I did not ease up on the gas on the flat surfaces my FE would be much worse. Also, I am never able to apply the right pressure on the accelerator to move the vehicle forward using EV mode alone. I end up taking my foot off the accelerator which causes the battery to recharge (and maybe slow the car down). If car slows too much or I hit a grade I may have to press on the accelerator that usually starts the ICE. Only if I need more power boost does the EV kick in along with the ICE. I wish it had been the other way around. I end up having a fully charged battery with not much output from it.

Old 10-17-2006, 02:08 PM
Enthusiast

One thing to remember, when you get your oil changed remind the Dealer that it is a hybrid and it requires the oil weight on the filler cap. I had to take mine back in as they'd put in the wrong weight and my FE dropped 8mpg!!

Old 10-17-2006, 04:29 PM
Active Enthusiast

If I did not ease up on the gas on the flat surfaces my FE would be much worse. Also, I am never able to apply the right pressure on the accelerator to move the vehicle forward using EV mode alone.
Have you tried using crusie control in this situation? I have pretty good success accelerating up to 35 -- 40 MPH, engaing the cruise control and taking my foot off the accelerator. The car will often then drop right into EV mode.

Old 10-17-2006, 05:45 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Would you please take a picture of the consumption screen after you finish the 3 mile drive in the morning and post here?
The picture will help us to discuss more into detail referring the bar graph.

Ken@Japan

Old 10-17-2006, 05:50 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Orcrone
The car is it's least efficient while cold.
Would like to comment about this.
It is not TCH specific.
Any car needs a lot of fuel during warming up period, so the mileage number becomes worse on cold start.

Ken@Japan

Old 10-17-2006, 07:04 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ken1784
Would like to comment about this.
It is not TCH specific.
Any car needs a lot of fuel during warming up period, so the mileage number becomes worse on cold start.

Ken@Japan
Never suggested it was TCH (or hybrid) specific. Just specific to cars with a gas engine.

Quick Reply: GAS MILEAGE

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands