Fumoto Oil Drain Valve

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 02:29 PM
2nd Driver
Default Fumoto Oil Drain Valve

A while ago several members posted information about using the Fumoto oil drain valve.

I'm considering installing such, and would appreciate feedback from those who've installed and used - as to benefits and any problems.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Originally Posted by mikieboyblue
What size quick oil drain valve do we use? 12mm? http://www.quickoildrainvalve.com/Se...ts.asp?Cat=187

That is the one I got for my 2007 TCH.

This is the reply I got back from them when I initially asked them what I needed since their "catalog" didn't have an entry for the Camry Hybrid at the time:

Quote:
Thank you for your inquiry of Sept. 29.

Our part # F103 (size 12mm-1.25)
is a suitable application for 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid.

Regards,

YM International Company
On-line Distributor of Fumoto Oil Drain Valve
www.fumotovalve.com

Old 04-06-2009, 02:58 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Fumoto Oil Drain Valve

I have used them for years with no problems.

Put one on the TCH last week, I highly recommend them.

Regards,

habu968

Old 04-07-2009, 02:00 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I've been using mine for almost two years and about four oil changes. It works quite well although I offer a few points on interest:
  • Because the valve opening is smaller than the oil pan drain hole and because the valve protrudes into the oil pan ever so slightly, the oil drains quite a bit slower than without a valve.
  • Make sure you use a wrench to tighten the valve so that a good seal is formed. The first year or so the valve was not as tight as it could be and over 5000 miles oil would be on the valve (nothing that was ever a visible drip -- so no big deal). It could also be "leaking" form the valve itself.
  • You should still remove the valve at some interval and replace the gasket. I did this at the 20000 mile oil change.

Now if only removing the filter was a bit less messy....

Old 04-07-2009, 02:50 PM
Super Moderator

The only comment I will make is to ask mechanics around your area if they use one.

Old 04-11-2009, 08:37 AM
Active Enthusiast

Why would a mechanic spend $25 to put one on a customers car?

That makes no sense...............

Old 04-11-2009, 10:16 AM
Active Enthusiast

Read down the page on this link as far as endorsements. Also note that it is being installed at the factory on some heavy duty trucks. The point is that it makes it easier to change your oil at home. Please research and understand before you make comments condemning a product..........particularly one you have never used.

http://www.quickoildrainvalve.com/

Old 04-12-2009, 10:23 PM
Super Moderator

habu,

I have never met a mechanic that had one on HIS car. If a customer wants one, they will put it on. I HAVE tried them. It takes too long to drain, has a tendacy to seep oil and might, and I mean might, make things easier for a DIY'er.

How difficult is it to remove one bolt and then tighten one bolt?

Old 04-13-2009, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by GeorgiaHybrid
habu,

I have never met a mechanic that had one on HIS car. If a customer wants one, they will put it on. I HAVE tried them. It takes too long to drain, has a tendacy to seep oil and might, and I mean might, make things easier for a DIY'er.

How difficult is it to remove one bolt and then tighten one bolt?
It's the "mess" issue. That's all.

Old 04-13-2009, 07:13 AM
Super Moderator

Michael,

That makes sense. I have been working on cars for so long I don't think about it. If I do, I just slip on some nitrile gloves and have at it. It only takes 15 minutes to change the oil, check the tires and everything under the hood so I never could understand why it was "faster".

Old 04-13-2009, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by GeorgiaHybrid
Michael,

That makes sense. I have been working on cars for so long I don't think about it. If I do, I just slip on some nitrile gloves and have at it. It only takes 15 minutes to change the oil, check the tires and everything under the hood so I never could understand why it was "faster".
Yes, certainly not faster at all. However, I suppose on large vehicles, if you have a lot to do at once and don't care about time you could quickly start the draining.

I probably wont get one on my future car. I figure, I have this one, might as well use it. Although, if they improved the flow, it would be well worth it.