Electric Motor question

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 11:34 PM
Ace
Enthusiast
Default Re: Electric Motor question

Originally Posted by SPL
if you do agree with me, then why are you trying to over-ride the TCH's ECU and force as much EV-mode operation as possible? My belief is that this is, in general, counter-productive, and will likely lower your FE.

I'm beginning to think that my TCH is the only one here with a heavy gas paddle.
My original concern was... 45hp behind the traction motor. All i could use it for is to keep me at a constant speed. Slightest pressure seems to trigger the ICE, hence lower my FE.

Old 06-15-2007, 06:10 AM
HSD Organic Interface

Originally Posted by Ace
I'm beginning to think that my TCH is the only one here with a heavy gas paddle.
My original concern was... 45hp behind the traction motor. All i could use it for is to keep me at a constant speed. Slightest pressure seems to trigger the ICE, hence lower my FE.
It definitely lowers your instantaneous FE. But for example let's say it was much easier to accelerate "normally" in EV. Suppose doing so saved 50ml of gas that would have normally been used to accelerate using the ICE. Your instantaneous FE is better because you accelerated without having to use that! But what if 10 minutes later the ICE consumed 55ml of gas in recharging the battery. The net result was actually a 5ml increase in gas consumption because you used EV to accelerate. The current HSD logic tries to avoid these situations by allowing EV only when it considers the circumstances to be highly optimal for doing so. I suspect the only time you get max power flow from battery is when you have the gas pedal flat on the floor and both the ICE and battery are giving all they have to give for maximum acceleration.

You may see references to techniques lile pulse and glide for getting better FE. This technique essentially recognizes that it's better to accelerate with the ICE for brief periods then coast or maintain speed with very little pedeal pressure in EV as long as you can. Get each system doing what it does best. ICE good at accelerating, but wasteful while coasting. EV good at steady speed or coasting, but wasteful while accelerating.

Old 06-15-2007, 07:39 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Originally Posted by Ace
Is a "gas paddle" a Canadian thing? Here they are "gas pedals". A pedal is something you use with your foot. A paddle is something my father would use I me when I misbehaved badly.

Last edited by schmidtj; 06-15-2007 at 07:42 AM.
Old 06-15-2007, 11:32 AM
SPL
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

schmidtj — You'll find gas paddles in ICE-powered Canadian canoes!

Stan

Old 06-15-2007, 11:41 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Originally Posted by SPL
schmidtj — You'll find gas paddles in ICE-powered Canadian canoes!

Stan
That's good to know.

Old 06-16-2007, 02:06 AM
Ace
Enthusiast

You may see references to techniques lile pulse and glide for getting better FE. This technique essentially recognizes that it's better to accelerate with the ICE for brief periods then coast or maintain speed with very little pedeal pressure in EV as long as you can. Get each system doing what it does best. ICE good at accelerating, but wasteful while coasting. EV good at steady speed or coasting, but wasteful while accelerating.
Point taken... Now I just need to home in on my P&G techniques.