Econ mode ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 03:31 PM
Enthusiast
Default Econ mode ?

I'm new to hybrids and I've read some posts re: how to maximize mileage. I've noticed that sometimes when I take my foot off the gas the MPG gauge falls all the way to Econ mode and sometimes it only drops to "60". My mileage seems to be pretty low around 33 mpg combined. What do I need to do to consistently get into this mode? I've been trying the pulse and glide metheod.

Any thoughts?
Matthew

Old 02-08-2007, 03:43 PM
Along for the ride.....
Default Re: Econ mode ?

Not sure where you live but if it's cold, your mileage will suffer. The gas engine needs to run more. In summer it should jump 5+ mph

Old 02-08-2007, 03:46 PM
Enthusiast

thanks for your reply. I live in Northern Calif. (Bay area) so it is not too cold - maybe 60 degrees. Any thoughts on why the Ev mode doesn't kick in at times?

Matthew

Old 02-08-2007, 03:53 PM
Active Enthusiast

AC on?

Old 02-08-2007, 04:58 PM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Originally Posted by Matthewob
I'm new to hybrids and I've read some posts re: how to maximize mileage. I've noticed that sometimes when I take my foot off the gas the MPG gauge falls all the way to Econ mode and sometimes it only drops to "60". My mileage seems to be pretty low around 33 mpg combined. What do I need to do to consistently get into this mode? I've been trying the pulse and glide metheod.

Any thoughts?
Matthew
If it drops to 60 the Internal Combustion Engine (ICE) is still rotating. Due to the geometry of the Power Split Device (PSD) and the Hybrid Synergy Drive (HSD) components, the ICE will spin (but may not be consuming fuel) at all times above 43 mph. Below 43 mph the engine may shut down completely as it does at a full stop. Then the fuel consumption meter goes to Econ (or is it Electric Vehicle?) mode.

Old 02-09-2007, 06:33 AM
Dazed and Confused

I have found the best way to ensure the ICE turns off is to:

ensure the eco switch is turned on

accelerate over 35 - 38 MPH (If you are under 35 MPH the engine might or might not shut off)

let off accelerator

once ICE shuts off gently roll back onto the accelerator to keep the desired speed under 35 MPH

Old 02-09-2007, 08:08 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ag4ever
I have found the best way to ensure the ICE turns off is to:

ensure the eco switch is turned on

accelerate over 35 - 38 MPH (If you are under 35 MPH the engine might or might not shut off)

let off accelerator
I have noticed this as well. I find more consistant ICE shut off occurs if I can get close to 40mph before coasting.

Other interesting behaviors I have found for urging the ICE to shut off:

Sometimes I need to accelerate from a stop to ~15 or 20 mph then maintain or slowly coast up to another light. If I briskly accelerate (guessing about a quarter to half throttle) and suddenly let off the accelerator, most times the ICE will shut off. If I normally accelerate, it keeps running until I stop again.

I hit slow traffic during freeway rush hour - often 15 to 30mph speeds. I find if I can draw down the SOC a bit (one bar is enough), then the ICE starts shutting off anytime I let off the accelerator, even at speeds between 20 and 30mph. I don't know why, just that it is very repeatable. Once I get get the SOC down to the "ICE shut off zone", I can accelerate with the ICE (to avoid excessively depleating the SOC) and coast/maintain slow speeds in EV mode at will.

Despite taking 60 to 90 minutes to go 25 miles during rush hour, I often gain mpg on my tank average if I can get the SOC into the zone. If I can't, I typically loose a little mpg in rush hour traffic.