Dropped TCH

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 07:35 PM
Hooked on Hybrid
Default Re: Dropped TCH

Thanks for posting your latest project activity... I hope the front swap gets your ride height where you want it. I may try again on this after your success on the back using SE springs... what was your ground to fender lip measurement back there with the SE's? Thanks!

Oh yeah.... to whoever posted the "you're messing up your geometry" item... if you don't have something positive or informed to contribute to the post please just read them.

Old 04-11-2007, 08:23 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LThompson
Oh yeah.... to whoever posted the "you're messing up your geometry" item... if you don't have something positive or informed to contribute to the post please just read them.
lol, oh really?

Can you tell me the spring rate of both springs, and how using two types of springs will change the camber and load allowance after the swap?

Old 04-17-2007, 08:11 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kris
I'm sure you already know this, but the suspension geometry of the car is going to be farked after that.
Kris, I understand exactly what you are saying, but with all due respect, are you making a factual comment or just posting your opinion? Just like you said in your last post, do you know the actual spring rates for the SE springs and the TRD springs? And do you know how they compare to the stock hybrid springs, and how they react with the additional hybrid weight? I'm asking these rhetorical questions because I don't think you really know either, so warning me about the suspension geometry is well-intentioned, but saying it's going to be "farked" is useless unless you can provide me with some data.

I'm actually trying to get my hands on that data, so I've posted on other Toyota Camry boards which have participants who are more into modifying their 07 Camry's than this board. Remember, I'm using springs on both ends that are not specifically designed for the TCH or the extra weight of the hybrid batteries. The TRD springs are not certified for use in a TCH, and the SE-springs are definitely not designed with the TCH in mind. Hence, how do you know that what I'm doing is not actually putting together a set of matched springs for the TCH? If the car sits in the correct stance, then I would think the geometry is in-line. As it is, using a matched set of SE-springs in my TCH has created a r ake in the car's stance, so I would think that the geometry is currently "farked" (b.t.w. first time I've ever heard of that phrase) even though I used a matched set.

The worst thing that happens is if the car drives funny, then I undo everything I did and the stock TCH springs go back into the car.

Old 04-17-2007, 08:54 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by flopshot
I'm using springs on both ends that are not specifically designed for the TCH or the extra weight of the hybrid batteries. The TRD springs are not certified for use in a TCH, and the SE-springs are definitely not designed with the TCH in mind.
You said it right there.

I've lowered my last two Toyotas before I got purchased the TCH. Both used TRD springs and were aligned after the drop. So trust me, if I felt comfortable lowering the car as you are planning to do, I'd be all over it as well. But honestly, you nor I for that matter, have the spring rate data in front of them, although it can be found. I sure would expect your struts and tires to take a serious hit unless you set the proper camber and toe and you replace the struts with an properly rated aftermarket sturt (not sure if one even exisits yet for the Camry). Plus, as I'm sure you know, forget your suspension warranty. TRD and Toyota don't spend serious money on R&D for nothing.

Either way, good luck with it, your car already looks great, and I commend you for possibly throwing yourself in the fire. Mod on bro.

Old 05-14-2007, 07:37 PM
Enthusiast

I'm new to the world of Toyota, coming from 25years in VW/Audi products (still have a 93 S4--great car!)
I love the TCH, but, after only 700 miles, I'm really annoyed at the suspension---and my wife is close to getting carsick, even though I'm driving very gently.
I see the last post on this thread was last September. Any one have an update on the strut/spring situation? I really don't want to lower the car, just firm it up.
Thanks for any ideas.

Old 05-14-2007, 07:39 PM
Enthusiast

That was dumb. I didn't notice (!) there were 5 pages of posts. i'll read them, and THEN ask a question...hopefully not a dumb one!!

Old 06-14-2007, 03:42 PM
Smile Re: Dropped TCH

So I completed my experiment, and I couldn't be happier with the result. By installing TRD springs in the front and leaving the SE springs in the rear, I lowered the front 1.0" from stock (and 1.5" from the SE springs I installed), and the rear 0.5" from stock. This creates the same 1.5" gap on all 4 wheels, which is exactly the look I wanted. Also, the car now has a very nice agressive forward rake to it, since the front was lowered more than the rear. You can see this in the profile picture below, where you can compare the line of the side skirt against the curb of the street.

So how does it drive? Wonderfully. The handling is much improved, and the car doesn't come close to rolling side-to-side as much as before when going thru turns. There is a little series of turns I need to drive thru on my way home each day, and the car used to roll heavily if I took the turns at more than 20mph. Now I can go thru them at 35mph and the car hardly rolls at all. It feels like the proverbial "driving on rails". And I feel no ill effects of having unmatched springs installed. I think it's because the extra weight of the EV battery in the trunk compresses the SE rear springs enough that they are equal to TRD springs in a non-hybrid Camry. Because the car has dropped to have an even gap on all 4 wheels (which is exactly what TRD springs are designed to do on an SE), I feel comfortable that I am not going to screwup the suspension on my car.

Reminder that I am running 18" wheels with slightly oversized tires, so I have a smaller gap than if I were still using the stock wheels/tires. For anyone else that tries this experiment, YMMV.

I'm happy to answer any questions.

Here is the Before and After picture... top is stock, middle is with SE springs all around, bottom is TRD springs in front and SE springs in the rear.

Last edited by flopshot; 06-14-2007 at 08:15 PM.
Old 06-14-2007, 05:16 PM

Better pics where the sun is not casting a shade on the wheel wells...

Last edited by flopshot; 05-01-2008 at 02:03 PM. Reason: updated pics
Old 06-14-2007, 08:05 PM
Active Enthusiast

Wow, quite a difference with a much more handsome stance. Love the last shot because it's so wierd to see a lowered TCH. I'm giddy.

I'm really glad it worked out for you because I had my doubts, but you were right on.
How long did the swap take you?

Old 06-14-2007, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by kris
Wow, quite a difference with a much more handsome stance. Love the last shot because it's so wierd to see a lowered TCH. I'm giddy.

I'm really glad it worked out for you because I had my doubts, but you were right on.
How long did the swap take you?
All 4 of the SE springs were installed by my mechanic at $60/strut, so $240 total. I watched him do the last one and said "heck, I can do that myself!".

I have no air tools, but all I needed was a torque wrench, hand ratchet, and the appropriate ratchet bits. (9/16, 3/4, and a couple of others). I "rented" the coil spring compressors from AutoZone, which is a free rental (I wish I could remember who told me about the free tool rentals at AZ so I could thank them properly). It took me about 4 hrs total to replace the front two springs with no air tools. It could have gone at least twice as fast (maybe more) if I had an air ratchet.

Quick Reply: Dropped TCH

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands