Dropped TCH

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 08:05 PM
Hooked on Hybrid
Thumbs down Re: Dropped TCH

Originally Posted by schmidtj
Uhm, I see NO difference between the two pictures. Even the shadows are identical.
Oh Dr. House... and you are usually so good at noticing the little things with your patients! Here... I repainted the car and added 24" bling-bling wheels. Now can you see a difference?

Before:

After:

And the shadows are still the same!!

Old 10-22-2006, 05:51 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Dropped TCH

i don't have the Toyota camry hybrid, but i have the LE model. If i was installing a 200 pound system in my trunk should i just wait and get the TCH specific springs instead of just getting the trd springs made for the ce,le,se,xle

Old 10-23-2006, 06:34 PM
Hooked on Hybrid

If your setup would put you close to the weight of a TCH in back then you would be having to modify the install with spacers etc. It's not a simple bolt-in project. Best bet for you and any TCH owners would be to wait for another application specific for TCH that handles the extra 200-300 lbs in back and leaves car setting level. Problem is that would be very low volume item and may not be produced soon. Good luck with your choice and project!

Old 10-23-2006, 07:06 PM
Enthusiast

i was wondering what do spacers look like and where would you install this at?

Old 11-26-2006, 08:09 PM
Active Enthusiast

Sorry to bump such an old thread on my first post

LThompson,
could you give us some more detail on what you did when you installed these springs, and post some pictures that actually show the car after the drop from more than one side angle instead of some obvious photoshops? I'm confused how the 1" spacer makes that much of a differece or Eibach engineers would have caught that in order to sell more springs. Please update us since you seem to be the ONLYHyCam that has been dropped.

Thanks

Last edited by kris; 11-26-2006 at 08:17 PM.
Old 11-26-2006, 09:36 PM
Enthusiast

also do spacers affect anythinG? I am HOPING eubach, tein or someone will make coil overs for the 07 camry's

Old 11-27-2006, 10:40 AM
Hooked on Hybrid

Originally Posted by kris
Sorry to bump such an old thread on my first post...

No problem... there are updates anyway! Car is now back to stock springs after additional rear end settling. After filling gas tank (70+ lbs) and some driving, the front drop was still at 1 1/4" but the back went down to 1 3/4". A thicker spacer would require rear strut modification and made continuing the project a no-go safety wise or I would have to leave the car looking like a low-rider! Sold all the parts to an eager non-Hybrid Camry owner and will wait for an Eibach/TRD kit engineered for TCH if they ever do one...

Old 03-17-2007, 10:47 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Months later, and still no lowering springs designed for the TCH. Everyone that has tried the TRD springs has ended up taking them out due to rear-end sag.

More and more factory SE springs are starting to show up on EBay, as those owners put in the TRD/Eibach springs. I wonder how the TCH would look using the SE springs? Obviously not the fully-lowered look that I would want, but it's still an inch lower than XLE/TCH standard. ANyone out there try installing SE springs?

Old 04-11-2007, 03:39 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I tried an experiment on my TCH with mixed success.

I know an SE-V6 owner who dropped his car with the TRD springs. Well, the SE springs are much tighter than an LE/XLE, so I thought those springs might give me just enough drop with the added weight in the TCH trunk. So I bought his SE springs and installed them on my TCH. Well, I was right.... almost!

I swapped the springs on all 4 struts, and sure enough, the rear dropped a smidge over 1/2". Rear fender gap looks much smaller but still plenty of clearance for my oversize tires (see above posts). However, front fender gap actually INCREASED by 1/2". I'm guessing the SE-V6 engine must weigh more than the I-4 hybrid engine, even with the electric motor, so the SE-V6 springs are not being compressed as much as they were designed.

So... now I'm going to buy the TRD springs and only install the fronts, so hopefully I will get the same 1-1/4" front end drop that LThompson saw on his car. That should still give me plenty of clearance in the fender well, and also give the car as nice rake to it since the rear will be slightly higher. My only worry is that the springs on the front end will be tighter than the rear, but it's not like I'm going to be taking a TCH out onto the track anyway, so it should be fine for daily highway driving.

Once everything is installed, I'll post pics.

Old 04-11-2007, 05:02 PM
Active Enthusiast

I'm sure you already know this, but the suspension geometry of the car is going to be farked after that.

Quick Reply: Dropped TCH

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands