Driver's side door speaker buzzing

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 04:42 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Driver's side door speaker buzzing

Okay, here's what's happening. Some bass-heavy song comes on, and the door speaker buzzes at certain frequencies. I played around with it at a stop light today - and found that when I open my door, even slightly, it doesn't buzz.

I put my head down there by the speaker, and the buzz is definitely coming from the speaker - although it might be coming from the speaker housing, or something in the door near the speaker - I can't tell that. I can get the buzz to stop by applying pressure to the side of the speaker that butts up against the car, by wedging my fingers in the gap.

So, has anyone ventured to pop the cover on their door speaker and try to deal with this buzz? I'm curious what they found.

Last edited by elsifer; 07-23-2007 at 04:44 PM. Reason: more info
Old 07-24-2007, 05:20 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Driver's side door speaker buzzing

Nobody?

Old 07-24-2007, 05:22 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I can't say that I've ever heard any buzzing from any of the speakers, regardless of how loud or how bassy the music is.

Old 07-24-2007, 05:26 AM
Active Enthusiast

Well shoot - if I'm the only one in the world with a driver's-side door speaker buzz, then what are the chances that even the dealer can fix it? Urrrgh. Thankfully, it seems to be only certain songs that set it off.

Old 07-24-2007, 05:31 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by elsifer
Well shoot - if I'm the only one in the world with a driver's-side door speaker buzz, then what are the chances that even the dealer can fix it? Urrrgh. Thankfully, it seems to be only certain songs that set it off.
At least if it's easily reproducable, you should have a case for getting them to fix it (whether they know what they're doing is a whole other story).

Old 08-02-2007, 07:40 AM
Malcontent

I have this problem on the passenger side. I took apart the door and found that it was actually the plastic sheet that covers some of the door innards. I actually found that I couldn't prevent it from buzzing even if I used applied all 10 fingers to various parts of the sheet. I think that if any part of the sheet is under tension (any two points on its perimeter), it will act as a drum.

One solution might be to peel the sheet off its gooey mount (not easy--maybe impossible--I tried) and reapply it w/o tension. The other option might be to completely cover it with a sheet of Dynamat insulation. I didn't have any so I used a sheet of foam which may have helped.

I more or less decided to live with it for now. I think I only have 2-3 songs that have enough bass to get it buzzing so it doesn't happen very often.

Old 08-02-2007, 07:35 PM
Enthusiast

Actually, I do have it too -- but it's an interesting buzz -- it is not just when the XM is cranked, it happens when the music has a particular frequency in it.

I didn't hear it when the console was squeaking like mad -- but after the TSB repair and the car got quiet then I started noticing the other noises (the rear package deck, the speakers, etc.).

Not sure if I should resume my pre-TSB dealer visits, I didn't let them touch the console until there was a document and parts kit (that took weeks after order) -- and the sound system isn't a place for trial-and-error troubleshooting.

Since there wasn't a list of people agreeing, then there's not likely a TSB either.

Old 08-04-2007, 07:15 AM
Active Enthusiast

You know, I'm brain dead. I forgot that when I took the car in for its oil change, I mentioned that the PASSENGER side speaker was buzzing. They fixed that. Now it's the DRIVER side - I suppose they could've fixed that one too even without me asking - wonder why they didn't?

I guess next oil change, I'll ask 'em to fix it. The dealership is too **** far away for this...

Hey Squint - my buzz doesn't happen when the door is open - I explicitly tested that. So I'm wondering if the plastic sheet in the door would be causing my buzz. Hmmm...

Last edited by elsifer; 08-04-2007 at 07:18 AM. Reason: msg for Squint