Do you get sensor with new tires?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2019, 08:57 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Do you get sensor with new tires?

In DEC 2018, I ordered & had 4 brand new Michelin Tires installed at Costco on my 07TCH, 2 weeks ago, I saw the law pressure warning light and I drove to costco and they put air and the light went away. Yesterday , I saw the light again and it was the front driver side tire that was 29. I had to go to a gas station to get air for the tire and light went away. Today, I drove to costco to check to see why I am having low tire pressure issues. They called me back saying " the sensor is bad and you need new sensor and it will be $45 before tax". I don't know automotive things so i said yes. I paid $50 total. The guy said the reason I am losing air is due to bad sensor.

I want to ask you pros here. is this true? Don't they install 4 new sensor when you first buy & install new tires at costco? 1 month ago, I noticed something hanging down, something almost touching the road underneath my car when I park. I took my car to an independent auto mechanic shop. They lifted the car and it is the " Emergency brake cables are broken,detached. They were honest to tell me unless I park in road that is slope, I don't need to spend $500 to replace them. They just tied the broken cable to hide them.

Thank you

Old 07-24-2019, 09:53 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Do you get sensor with new tires?

You only get new sensors if you pay for new sensors.

Old 07-25-2019, 08:45 AM
Active Enthusiast

They said the tire pressure loss I am having is due to BAD SENSOR. Is this true? Sensor and TPMS are same thing right ? I thought this is to only warn you of leak or pressure loss and change if the light doesn’t go off after fixing the tire. Didn’t know sensor causes tire pressure loss or leak. Thank you

Old 07-25-2019, 08:50 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

In order for a sensor to sense pressure, it must have tire pressure on one side and ambient pressure on the other. Since there is a pressure across it, it could conceivably be a source of a leak. I have personally never heard of that, but it may be possible just as it's possible for the Schrader valve to be a source of the leak.