dashboard rattles

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 01:30 PM
Enthusiast
Default dashboard rattles

i have a rattling sound on the driver side on my 09 TCH anyone has also this problem?

Old 05-11-2008, 01:53 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: dashboard rattles

My 09 does not have anything like this.

Old 05-11-2008, 06:17 PM
Enthusiast

Search this group for "console crickets" - Very common problem. Mine worse in winter/cooler months.

Old 05-12-2008, 09:08 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

A real easy test to determine a solution is take some cardboard, fold it to be about a half inch thick, and stuff it between the dash and windshield (between the driver side speaker grill and the large semi-circle piece where the clock is). Move it around or add others if the noise does not stop. I currently have a piece in my car.

Once you have determined the location of the noise, acquire some black foam (pipe insulation works well) and stuff it in the needed locations.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:51 AM
Enthusiast

I have rattles coming from the dash area as well, I was going to take it to the dealer and see if they can fix it. I realize that I can fix it with some foam...but should'nt the dealer take care of this?

Old 05-14-2008, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by robs24
I have rattles coming from the dash area as well, I was going to take it to the dealer and see if they can fix it. I realize that I can fix it with some foam...but should'nt the dealer take care of this?
Depends on how good your dealer is. You run a very high risk of having more problems when you get the car back. There are a number of horror stories in this forum. I don't trust mine.

On a side note, I still have not figured out what sounds like a piece of plastic bouncing around in my car. It wasn't there before (for the last year) and just started. I thought it was my sunglasses because I moved them and the sound was gone for a day but now it is back! It is random...and it sounds like it is coming from above my head. Since I need to be in motion and on a CERTAIN kind of terrain to here it, it is a pain in the butt to diagnose (while driving).

Old 05-14-2008, 12:28 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by robs24
My dealer would fix this by following the TSB issued for the issue. This fix requires removing the steering wheel and the entire dash. I've seen pictures in this forum and all I can say is . I don't trust these guys to take everything apart, apply the fix, and reassemble everything without causing other problems.

The dealer would not offer to do anything else because apparently they may not get reimbursed by Toyota since they would not be following the approved procedure.

I'm going to stuff some rubber in there myself. I'll post my results whenever I get around to doing this. I've been living with tacky cardboard for about 2 months now....

Old 05-14-2008, 12:36 PM
Driving in stealth mode

Just remember not to block the front air ducts for the climate control system. I remember reading about someone doing that and then having to move or remove some of the foam.

Old 05-14-2008, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by coolshock1
Just remember not to block the front air ducts for the climate control system. I remember reading about someone doing that and then having to move or remove some of the foam.
Yeah, I really don't think that part is true. The vents in my car are just past the close and not right along the line between the dash material and the glass.

Old 05-14-2008, 01:33 PM
Driving in stealth mode

So you're saying I'm lying about reading that??

Quick Reply: dashboard rattles

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands