Dark colors bad for hybrid battery in sunlight?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 11:15 PM
Enthusiast
Default Dark colors bad for hybrid battery in sunlight?

Hi all, I've seen people mention that it's best for the hybrid battery to not get too hot.. so I was wondering if the darker colored models would make the battery warmer than the light colored models when parked outside in direct sunlight. Did anyone consider this when choosing a color? I like the Magnetic Grey Metallic (it seems a lot of people do).

Old 06-22-2007, 03:43 AM
Hybrid True Believer
Default Re: Dark colors bad for hybrid battery in sunlight?

dark colors also give the impression that hybrid owners are boring. As much as I love my 2003 HCH, I'm considering a Prius next time just so that I can choose red, blue, or green. Honda's hybrid options are grey, dark grey, blue-grey, and white-grey. Gimmie a break!

Old 06-22-2007, 04:34 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I wasn't too worried about the battery, but I wanted to be certain not to get a gray colored car. I had a car once that was medium gray metallic...

I got hit in that car 3 times in ten years. Each time it happened the other driver said exactly the same thing: "I never saw you".

After a while I figured it out. The car was the same color as the road! At dusk, or at night, or in bad weather, I simply disappeared into the background.

My last 4 cars were all brightly colored. And I haven't been hit since.

Old 06-22-2007, 05:59 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I was not worried at all. I wanted black for the professional look and I got it. No issues in three months.

Old 06-22-2007, 07:42 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by McGyver
I wasn't too worried about the battery, but I wanted to be certain not to get a gray colored car. I had a car once that was medium gray metallic...

I got hit in that car 3 times in ten years. Each time it happened the other driver said exactly the same thing: "I never saw you".

After a while I figured it out. The car was the same color as the road! At dusk, or at night, or in bad weather, I simply disappeared into the background.

My last 4 cars were all brightly colored. And I haven't been hit since.
My TCH is titanium metalic...fancy words for silver. I never thought about the blending in aspect so I'll have to be more careful, and make sure I keep the DRL's on!

Old 06-22-2007, 10:20 AM
Active Enthusiast

In regards to the TCH, it has a vent on the rear deck, and a fan to cool the battery down if it gets too hot, so I'm guessing it's ok for dark colors in respect to the batteries.

Old 06-22-2007, 10:25 AM
HSD Organic Interface

Originally Posted by ToyotaGoblin
Hi all, I've seen people mention that it's best for the hybrid battery to not get too hot.. so I was wondering if the darker colored models would make the battery warmer than the light colored models when parked outside in direct sunlight. Did anyone consider this when choosing a color? I like the Magnetic Grey Metallic (it seems a lot of people do).
Bring it on, the hotter it is the better my FE is. Of course, the Canadian version of "hot" is a lot different than the Texas version of "hot".

Old 06-22-2007, 11:50 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Geckoboy
In regards to the TCH, it has a vent on the rear deck, and a fan to cool the battery down if it gets too hot, so I'm guessing it's ok for dark colors in respect to the batteries.
Does that fan go on if the car is parked or only while you are driving?

Old 06-22-2007, 12:54 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Unless you're planning on leaving the car parked next to (or in) a blast furnace, I doubt that ambient temperatures are going to have any impact on the battery. The heat source of concern is more likely just what the battery itself is generating under load. It would be for this reason that the battery is being cooled. So I would guess that the fan might come on while the car is parked, but only after it has recently been driven.

Old 06-23-2007, 09:11 PM
Active Enthusiast

Why would Toyota design a car that will fail just because of sitting in hot sun?

Quick Reply: Dark colors bad for hybrid battery in sunlight?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands