Crud On Side Windows

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 07:42 AM
Enthusiast
Question Crud On Side Windows

Does anyone else have the following issue. At the tops of my side windows, there is a very hard build up of something that seems to come from inside the weatherstripping. It is so hard that it won't wash off. I have to use a razor blade to remove it. I have tried several things to reduce it, but to no avail. I asked the dealer, and they suggested I keep the tops of the windows coated with silicone so it would come off easier??? Thanks!

Robb

Old 10-20-2009, 09:12 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Crud On Side Windows

i used a little paint thinner and it came right off. has not come back. acetone would work too.

Old 10-20-2009, 07:33 PM
Enthusiast

Must be a mind reader. I just posted this same exact question on Toyotanation.com. YES, I have the same problem and especially in the winter it sticks and almost think the glass will break when it breaks loose. No one at the dealer seems to know or care, they just say it is NORMAL! I told them it was not normal in my book. I clean it off and it comes right back on again.

Old 10-21-2009, 05:08 AM
Pragmatist

Mine has the same issue. Seems like something is leaching out of the black rubber weatherstrip, and adhering to the window glass. And it sticks the window to the weatherstrip. If I don't open a window for a long time, the power window motor has some difficulty getting the motion started.

rightforlineup -- The paint thinner idea is intriguing. I am thinking that you might have cleaned the volatile compound that is causing the issue from the surface of the rubber. How long has it been since you cleaned it with paint thinner? Did you also wipe the rubber, or just the glass?

Old 10-21-2009, 05:28 AM
Engineering Professor

This is not a problem that is specific to Toyota. I have seen it on other cars as well. A good solvent will remove it as other have said.

JeffD

Old 10-22-2009, 02:11 PM
Enthusiast

Steve: I did it once a couple months ago when I bought the car. If you think about it Paint Thinner or other solvent will evaporate completely from the glass. I would not do science experiments by rubbing stuff on to the rubber. If it melts the crud, it might melt the rubber too...

"rightforlineup -- The paint thinner idea is intriguing. I am thinking that you might have cleaned the volatile compound that is causing the issue from the surface of the rubber. How long has it been since you cleaned it with paint thinner? Did you also wipe the rubber, or just the glass?"

Old 10-23-2009, 08:55 AM
Enthusiast

So, they did clean up quite easily with a bit of acetone on a rag. Now we'll just wait to see if it comes back.

Robb