Cool HSD links pilfered from the Prius forum

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 06:20 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Cool HSD links pilfered from the Prius forum

I thought I would share these:

http://privatenrg.com/

This one is really cool - it is a little web application that shows the planetary gearset running at different speeds (with sliders to change the RPM of the inputs):

http://eahart.com/prius/psd/

Old 09-11-2006, 08:05 PM
HSD Organic Interface
Default Re: Cool HSD links pilfered from the Prius forum

Very cool diagram. It's interesting to note the number of combinations of MG2 and ICE speed that result in the generator being stationary. I wonder if the computer tries to avoid these combinations beyond the momentary change in spin direction of the generator.

It's also easy to see why the ICE must start turning at 42mph because the generator reaches max speed. But somewhat puzzling, the latest HSD system is suppose to have generators that spin up to 10,000 rpm yet this 42mph limit based on a 6500rpm generator still remains built into the basic logic of the system. Perhaps the extra rpm range of the generator is just used for better top speed without having to have high rpm on the ICE.

Old 09-11-2006, 08:31 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Jeff, great pilfering. That fun diagram (on the eahart link) FINALLY explained to me how this PSD thing works. Very very cool. Now go steal something else and bring it back for us to play with.

Old 09-11-2006, 09:06 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Freeze
Jeff, great pilfering. That fun diagram (on the eahart link) FINALLY explained to me how this PSD thing works. Very very cool. Now go steal something else and bring it back for us to play with.
lol