Check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2019, 10:42 AM
Enthusiast
Default Check engine light

Hello everyone, New to the forum. Just bought an 07 camry hybrid with 190k and it simply runs and drives like a brand new car but the check engine light when on and it said from the reading that it was possibly a crankshaft or camshaft position sensor so I replaced both and now the check engine light came back after I reset it. Anyone help? Thanks.

Old 12-18-2019, 08:32 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Check engine light

P0016: Deviation in crankshaft and camshaft position sensor signals (2-trip detection logic)

Causes:
  • Mechanical system (Timing chain has jumped tooth or chain stretched)
  • Hybrid vehicle control ECU
P0340 indicates possible issue with camshaft position sensor. You do not have this. Camshaft position sensor replacement not warranted.
P3190 and P3191 are low power/fail to start codes and can be caused by faulty camshaft position sensor. However, these are also accompanied by poor running and failures to start.

Given that the car performs very well, you likely have an issue with the Hybrid vehicle control ECU.

Old 12-19-2019, 04:34 AM
Enthusiast

Is that serious? Any idea what that involves and around how much it would cost to fix and is it something I can do myself? Thank you for the info.

Old 12-19-2019, 05:43 AM

It's serious enough that you have a perpetual CEL. It could be a problem with the connector, pin corrosion or internal corrosion. Running around with a perpetual CEL means you start ignoring it, and you'll never know if you have a new problem unless you periodically check your codes.

You can likely obtain one from a salvage yard. Component location:

The HV control ECU connector:

Probably also worth disconnecting and using compressed air to blow out the connectors.

Old 12-19-2019, 06:02 AM
Enthusiast

Thank you for the info S. Keith. so would you say that it's a question of unplugging the old one and plugging in the new one or is there more to it that that?

Old 12-19-2019, 10:50 AM

I believe it's as simple as that. There is no mention of VIN encoding in the service manual, so it SHOULD just be plug and play, but I can't guarantee anything. Definitely disconnect the 12V before and during the process.

Old 12-19-2019, 12:26 PM
Enthusiast

It doesn't show in the diagram that the break fluid reservoir is there. Is it under it against the firewall?

Old 12-19-2019, 01:03 PM

I don't have a camry. Based on the graphic, I would start at the passenger side on the firewall. It could possibly be on the interior side of the firewall.

Old 12-19-2019, 05:48 PM

I have to change my answer. I did find another section of the manual that references the VIN. It will need to have your VIN flashed into it. It will generate a P0630-804 error, and it's not explicitly stated if it will run that way or not.

I did find the ECU removal procedure:

Disconnect 12V
Remove HV safety plug
Remove both wiper arms
remove LH and RH front fender to cowl side seals
Remove cowl top ventilator louver sub assy
Remove windshield wiper motor and link
Separate brake master cylinder reservoir sub-assy
Remove cowl top outer panel sub-assy
Remove ECU

When you're really ready to tackle this, probably best to get a 2 day subscription for $20 and you can print out all the instructions.

Old 12-19-2019, 07:16 PM
Enthusiast

What does this other code mean?

Quick Reply: Check engine light

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands