Changing the cabin air filter DIY

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 11:03 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Changing the cabin air filter DIY

Originally Posted by fullofbeans
Was wondering what the procedure was for changing the cabin air filter?

I see it's behind the glove box. I'm sure it's very simple. I believe the dealer charges a bit to do this on top of the filter price. I'd rather save a couple of bucks and do it myself. tx
I haven't looked at my Camry's filter yet, but my last car was an 04 Corolla, and it was very, very easy - squeeze the glove box so it pops out (then clean up the stuff that I dumped onto the floor), undo a few snaps, pull out old, put in new, close it up, snap the glove box back in. I can't imagine the Camry would be any different in terms of ease.

Of course, I didn't realize that filter existed for the first three years, so last summer I was thinking the AC was already dying, until the guy at Superlube asked me if I'd replaced my cabin filter lately. That was when I decided I would start reading those letters the dealership kept sending me, which I had just assumed were attempts to get me to pay for their overpriced oil changes... :>

Old 04-02-2007, 09:45 AM
HSD Organic Interface

Originally Posted by SPL
The New Car Features Guide gives the recommended change interval for the Clean Air Filter, and it's different for the USA and for Canada! I wonder why? Here are the relevant pages — see page BE-49.

Stan
Very weird. Hey, if anyone is bored can they take a picture of their cabin filter? I would like to find out why a US filter costs half as much and last 3X as long as the Canadian version.

Old 09-05-2007, 06:38 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by martinmzfan
Change the HVAC filter before 10K miles. Trust me on this one. On my other car equipped with a HVAC filter, it was black at about 9K mi! On our Camrys, the HVAC filter is a snap to replace. Just unclip the glove compartment door and release the damper cord. The filter assembly is staring right at you. No special tools are required. Just strong fingers! Don't bother cleaning the filter element. Waste of time and messy. Just buy a few filters for $21 each and get a discount! Changing the HVAC filters on '02-06 Camrys is a real chore and a half! We have it made -- save your money and buy yourself a lunch at Chilis!

Where did u buy your filters for $21 each?????

Old 07-19-2010, 03:02 PM
Enthusiast

2007 Camry Hybrid, 39,000 miles. I just ordered a pair of replacement air engine and cabin filters on Ebay. I replaced the engine air filter, it looked to be just about time for the engine air filter to be replaced @ 36 to 39k miles, but the cabin filter was filthy, dark black with a generous layer of leaves on top of it. I will now adjust my cabin filter replacement cycle to 10,000 miles. Jim from Orlando FL

PS: it took all of 5 minutes, with no tools.

PPS: I have a 2008 4 cyl and it uses all the same filters for air and cabin.

Last edited by Captain Jim; 08-21-2010 at 06:40 AM. Reason: Additiional info:
Old 07-21-2010, 07:06 AM
Active Enthusiast

As for cost of replacement filters, I saw a Fram cabin air filter at Wal_mart last night for $18.94, and I thought that was overpriced! They are MUCH cheaper on ebay.

As for why they last longer in the US vs. Canada, we don't have all the lingering odors of Canadian Bacon in the air down here. Eh!?!

Seriously, though, dealers often significantly enhance their 'wish list' of things THEY want to do to your car at 10K, 15K and 30K intervals over what Toyota or any manufacturer recommends. This is how they pay for that million dollar expansion and the 'free' donuts and cofee in the waiting rooms. If you have the dealer do your service, tell your dealer you want to have exactly what Toyota recomends be done at specific intervals, not what they want to do.

Joe

Old 07-21-2010, 09:02 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I just picked up a Purolator C35667 cabin air filter at Pep Boys for $11.95. If anyone in curious, here is a link to a thread with photos showing how to remove the cabin air filter.

Last edited by nash; 07-22-2010 at 08:00 AM. Reason: correct the part number
Old 07-21-2010, 01:19 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nash
I just picked up a Purolator C35336 cabin air filter at Pep Boys for $11.95. If anyone in curious, here is a link to a thread with photos showing how to remove the cabin air filter.
Yep; just bought the Purolator at Pep Boys also. This is about what they come out to on ebay once you pay the shipping. And, the Purolator filter is American made; the Fram comes from China.

Although I only have 13,900 miles, the previous owner was a smoker. The dealer ionized the car, but he didn't change the air filter. LOTS better now!

Last edited by SanAntonio Joe; 07-21-2010 at 01:23 PM.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:07 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nash
I just picked up a Purolator C35336 cabin air filter at Pep Boys for $11.95. If anyone in curious, here is a link to a thread with photos showing how to remove the cabin air filter.
I assume you mean the C35667 unless things are different for the hybrid.

Old 07-22-2010, 12:41 PM
2009TCH w/NAV bought 4/08
Smile Re: Changing the cabin air filter DIY

Originally Posted by skywagon
Then why does it not take the dead cow smell out of the car that a few on this list have complained about?
You have to remove the cow from the back seat first! It's in the Owner's Manual.

Old 07-22-2010, 12:49 PM
2009TCH w/NAV bought 4/08

I can't find the original posting on this but someone said you could replace the filter by reaching over the back of the glovebox and changing it that way.
Worked great for me! I have average size hands. Using my right hand, I reached in while holding a flashlight with left to see. I popped right tab then with the same hand, moved hand to left side and popped left one, grabbing the cover. I took it and my hand out, then putting right hand back in, I grabbed filter with fingers and took it out. Putting the new one in was just as easy.

Note: I suggest you do as I did - write date and mileage with indelible marker on the front of the new filter before installing.

Quick Reply: Changing the cabin air filter DIY

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands