Changing the cabin air filter DIY

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 08:06 PM
700 Mi Camry Club Member
Default Re: Changing the cabin air filter DIY

I like the build on the Fram FreshBreeze CF10139 for my Camry 2007 Hybrid. The filter fits fine and Walmart has them on clearance for 13 dollars. This is not the cheap flimpsy filters. They are rock solid with charcoal activated feature as well as baking soda added in for that clean fresh smell. Found the cabin filters in the auto department in the clearance section.

Sorry have not posted in awhile. Nothing wrong with the Camry yet. Knock on wood.

Old 08-30-2011, 04:35 PM
Enthusiast
Default Good price on cabin filter... $8.64 each

A local area Toyota dealer advertises $60 for a cabin filter change...

I just changed the cabin filter on my 2009 Hybrid Camry just hitting 14K miles. (Bought it used with 6K miles on it a year ago.)

Took around 5 minutes and will be faster next time now that I know how much pressure to apply to the glove box to get it to drop down.

Locally AutoZone wanted just about $18 (before tax of 8.5%) for a cabin filter. I didn't visit any other place to find their costs and Pep Boys is not a convenient place to drive to except in the middle of the day due to traffic.

I discovered on Amazon.com the C335667 PUROLATOR cabin filters for $13.64 apiece.

Buy 2 of them to get the cost over $25 so without a Prime membership you get free shipping.

That makes $27.28...

When they arrive DO THE PAPERWORK for a $5 each REBATE from PUROLATOR.

Thus your cost becomes $8.64 apiece plus first class postage to send in the rebate. Offer good through 10/29/11.

Sorry, but you can only get TWO rebates. If you have a friend who'll order 2 for you 4 of them should be a good investment.

Ordered them over the weekend and arrived today, Monday...!

The filter paperwork has a sheet to explain how to remove and replace the filter but it's not easy to view the pictures as they appear to be copies of copies of copies. I just looked in my Toyota manual under Air Condition.... and found a much easier to follow picture and explanation of how to replace the filter.

Next time it'll only take 3 minutes rather than 5 + the time to find a tree across the street so I can work in the shade out of the hot garage where I can't get the passenger side doors open.

The filter diagram included shows a carbon layer in the middle of the 3 layers so it theoretically should help remove odors. My old filter was quite dark, almost black in areas, and as others reported with leaves in it. I figure 10K miles is a good replacement interval.

Maybe I should have waited to change the OEM filter until after I return from a trip across the the Sierra via Tioga Pass at the end of September. At my destination at 10,000 feet I'll be exposed to quite a bit more dust for a week than I am at home.

...and the picture in the owner's manual shows blowing the filter with an air hose to remove the dirt...I don't think it'd work very well and didn't even start the compressor to see. The OEM filter is rigid with heavier edges. The Purolator is pretty floppy but I don't think it was as limp as the one that I removed from the box examine at AutoZone.

Old 09-03-2011, 10:45 AM
Active Enthusiast

So how much pressure did you need to use to drop the glove box - any tricks you want to pass along?

Our TCH is close to three years old with 33k miles and has the original filter. Once I get the filter and change it out I'll report what I find.

Last edited by KenSoren; 09-06-2011 at 11:56 AM.
Old 09-03-2011, 12:20 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Not much, don't break it, but be firm and you should be okay. Make sure you check for 'critter nests'. I've had a mouse make bedding behind my filter. He wasn't home, so I removed it. My daughter's Corolla had 30 acorns in hers.
Toyota...Official Car of Critters.

Old 09-05-2011, 07:29 PM
Active Enthusiast

Got my cabin filter replaced. I was surprised that the dealer will charge $65 for a work that can be done in less than 5 mins, no tools or no greasy parts being handled at all.

It's OK if the plunger (as I call it) is accidentally removed, it can be returned easily to its proper spot.
Most of the plastic parts in this process are flexible enough that it won't cause any breakage (no brittle parts here)

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...7627800&type=1

Old 09-06-2011, 12:03 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by haroldo
Not much, don't break it, but be firm and you should be okay. Make sure you check for 'critter nests'. I've had a mouse make bedding behind my filter. He wasn't home, so I removed it. My daughter's Corolla had 30 acorns in hers.
Toyota...Official Car of Critters.
The car is garaged and our cat spends the nights there so there shouldn't be any mouse nests, etc. If I do find critter nests then I finally have an excuse to get rid of the cat.

Old 09-12-2011, 11:48 AM
Active Enthusiast

Got the filters and changed the old one out. Didn't have any major problems but did need to apply more pressure than expected to spread and drop the glove box.

The old filter was almost three years old so it was dark with dirt and had lots of fuzz - looked like carpet fuzz - but only one small leaf. Not too bad but good to change it out.

Didn't find any critter nests so I guess the cat is doing her job keeping the garage clear of mice.

Thanks 09CAMRY20 for the heads up on the filter deal! That's what I needed to push me into changing the old one out. Next project is my 2002 Dodge Grand Caravan's cabin filter - hasn't been touched in just shy of 10 years.

Old 09-13-2011, 01:57 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KenSoren
...Next project is my 2002 Dodge Grand Caravan's cabin filter - hasn't been touched in just shy of 10 years.
Older cars might not have them, this is a relatively recent innovation

Old 09-15-2011, 11:02 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by haroldo
Older cars might not have them, this is a relatively recent innovation
Purolator listed one for the '02 Grand Caravan and the owners manual gives directions on how to change it out. I'll pick a Fram filter up at my next trip to Walmart and give it a go - hopefully there are no critter nests in there.