In case you ever wondered....

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 04:08 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: In case you ever wondered....

Originally Posted by cmartinez95
I did, it's bent a little and the tabs that hold the bumper are bent.
If I'm oriented correctly, that's looking from the muffler across the car, right? In that case, I'd make sure that the damage is truly confined to the corner and didn't 'telegraph' and displace the forward edge of the stamping. Also, I'd be concerned about the integrity and water/air-tightness of the rear seam. Given the spare well isn't frequently accessed, a compromise of that seam can easily breed water puddles inside the tire well and resulting rust.

Bumper under-ride can create all sorts of damage that's not visible at first look...

Old 12-01-2008, 07:08 PM
Active Enthusiast

You are correct (sorry for the upside down angle of the pic!). I got a call tonight saying that they car is ready. I went by earlier today to check on the work and they appear to be doing a good job. Unfortunately the new bumper cover was already installed so I couldn't see what they did behind the scenes. And since they were buffing the new paint and there was white dust all over the place I couldn't get down on the floor to take a good look under there (my black slacks wouldn't have done too well!). But tomorrow I am going to go over it with a fine tooth comb before I accept it back from the dealer. I plan to take out the spare tire and to crawl up under the car to inspect their work. I hope everything is in good shape. I really want my car back!!!

Update and new pics will be posted tomorrow afternoon.

Old 12-02-2008, 11:09 AM
Active Enthusiast

Ok, got the car back this morning! I am pretty happy with the work Don Magill's body shop did. I'll really get under it when I get home, but my initial inspection didn't raise any red flags. Here are the pics:

What do you all think?

Now I'm waiting to hear back about my diminished value claim. I know it wasn't severe, but I'm sure I won't be able to sell it for the same amount when/if I decide to get rid of it. Allstate's been good so far. I hope that doesn't change now.

Old 12-02-2008, 03:02 PM
Active Enthusiast

It looks like they did a great job. Everything seems to align perfectly. I doubt if your TCH suffered any value drop. The insurance company will probably deny that part of your claim.

Old 12-03-2008, 06:47 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Al Froio
It looks like they did a great job. Everything seems to align perfectly. I doubt if your TCH suffered any value drop. The insurance company will probably deny that part of your claim.

You really don't think it will be affected? I am looking at it from a buyer's perspective. If I am going to buy a car and I see that it has been involved in a collision I don't think I'll be willing to pay the same as I would for one that's never been hit. Even if it looks like nothing ever happened and even if the hit wasn't severe. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to scam allstate just to get money out of them. I just want to make sure I don't end up taking a loss due to something that was not my fault if I ever decide to sell the car. In my last accident (about 8 years ago) I didn't even bother with this type of claim because I was driving a beater. But THIS car was in **** near perfect condition before this happened. So therefore I care more about taking a loss down the road.

Old 12-03-2008, 06:20 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cmartinez95
You really don't think it will be affected? I am looking at it from a buyer's perspective. If I am going to buy a car and I see that it has been involved in a collision I don't think I'll be willing to pay the same as I would for one that's never been hit. Even if it looks like nothing ever happened and even if the hit wasn't severe. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to scam allstate just to get money out of them. I just want to make sure I don't end up taking a loss due to something that was not my fault if I ever decide to sell the car. In my last accident (about 8 years ago) I didn't even bother with this type of claim because I was driving a beater. But THIS car was in **** near perfect condition before this happened. So therefore I care more about taking a loss down the road.
I'm not on the insurance company's side and i hope you can recoup something but I think the insurance company would only pay out for diminished value if there was severe strucural damage that had to be repaired i.e. a bent frame member or major sheet metal replacement . If the only damaged parts were quickly replaced , then your car was restored to its original condition. If you had to sell your TCH while it was damaged then 'diminished value' would certainly come into play

But as Dennis Miller says "That's just my opinion, I could be wrong"

Old 12-03-2008, 06:36 PM
Enthusiast

I'm impressed with so little damage done to the car. Glad to see you are OK.
I also have this same car, and am really glad to see that there is so little damage. I'd be worried about the battery(s) being damaged. Keep us informed on the final damage and damage estimate will you?

Old 12-04-2008, 05:46 AM
Active Enthusiast

I'm not on the insurance company's side and i hope you can recoup something but I think the insurance company would only pay out for diminished value if there was severe strucural damage that had to be repaired i.e. a bent frame member or major sheet metal replacement . If the only damaged parts were quickly replaced , then your car was restored to its original condition. If you had to sell your TCH while it was damaged then 'diminished value' would certainly come into play

Well, we'll see what they have to say. I'll let you all know the final outcome.

Old 12-04-2008, 06:01 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HotDoogity
I also have this same car, and am really glad to see that there is so little damage. I'd be worried about the battery(s) being damaged. Keep us informed on the final damage and damage estimate will you?

I was worried about that too and even asked the adjuster about it. After looking over it I was told that the damage I received didn't appear to have affected the battery or any of the hybrid components. Not sure if I posted this in my original post, but when I was hit the car never died or do anything weird. I even turned it off when I pulled over to the shoulder and when I was done it started right up. I honestly don't think they were affected (and that's a GOOD thing!! ).

I went back and re-read the invoice from the dealer and the total damage was $1343.20. For some reason I was thinking it was more (due to the way they itemize everything) but as it turns out the actual total was only $1343.20. That's $500 less than an estimate a different body shop gave me. I'm not complaining though. I'm just glad it was fixed correctly the first time.

Old 01-22-2009, 08:00 PM
Active Enthusiast

Ok, I finally heard back from the insurance company and after reviewing everything they will be giving me $2250 for my diminished value claim. I was surprised to hear that it was that much, but I'm not going to argue with them.

Quick Reply: In case you ever wondered....

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands