Is this car too high-tech for my wife?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 10:55 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Is this car too high-tech for my wife?

My wife and I are day sleepers due to her working deep nights most of her life. Its her idea as were both retired and I have to do the same to ever see her. lol

We go town at dusk to eat then shop for groceries. They are many times we walk up to the car and the interior lights up as were within 3 or 4 feet of the car. So if it ever gets down to 2 feet we replace the fob battery. Never been any problems as the FOB low battery warning comes on the MFD readout so it easy to see in advance when replacement is needed.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:27 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Just go for it. You'll be fine. Just realize that no matter what car you choose, your wife won't be happy when something doesn't work. Thankfully, in 6 years, there have been very few of those times for me.

Old 04-03-2012, 05:59 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Aptos Driver
I just turned in the '12 TCH we rented for the weekend. We loved this car. My wife is now totally on board with it and we'll be buying one for sure within the next 6 months. I plan to wait until sometime this summer when, I hope, dealers will have more on their lots at the trim level we want (XLE with moonroof, leather package, convenience package (required with either moonroof or leather, or both; don't remember), and the least expensive required premium stereo/NAV option (EX).

As I said, we loved the car. With its smoothness and quiet, driving/riding in it is a Zen-like experience. Everything reviewers have said about its power is true; punch the accelerator and it goes! It feels almost as powerful as our '07 V6 RAV4, and that's saying a lot. We drove close to 243 miles over several days, some in town and a lot on freeways, and the freeways weren't always flat. We racked up most of the mileage Sunday, driving from Santa Cruz to the SF East Bay. Outbound, we drove Highway 17 through the Santa Cruz Mountains, climbing over a 1,800-foot summit and then followed Highway 280 (it runs along the San Andreas Fault) to the Bay Bridge. Highway 280 has a lot of long uphill grades. The needle on the gauge to the left of the speedometer was up in the power range a lot on this route. I kept the TCH in "eco mode" the whole way. When we reached our destination, the car reported 40-plus MPG for the trip! We took a different route going home, driving down the East Bay on Highway 880, which is flat, and then over the Highway 17 summit again. This time the car said we'd gotten better than 46 mpg! For the three days, the car reported, we'd averaged 41 mpg. We were in Eco mode the whole time.

These MPG figures are great, but I'm now wondering how accurate they are, because when I filled up the tank prior to returning the car, I computed average MPG at 37 -- figuring it by dividing miles traveled by gallons of gas consumed. That may be so last century, but it indicates to me that the TCH computer is over-reporting MPG by about 10%. Any comments on this?
could also be consistency of fill-up, coupled with just how full the car was when you started out. Over 42K+ miles, the 'fuel in /miles driven' method has consistently been 2 MPG lower - and a consistent 39 and change.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:40 AM
Active Enthusiast

My wife doesn't like too much gizmos in the car, she prefers to drive the truck with regular key in the ignition and the sense that you don't forget to leave the car running when going out. Ever since I bought it she only drove it once, lucky for me !

Old 04-04-2012, 12:31 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KenSoren
The TCH will be on our shopping list but will be seriously looking at the Ford Fusion Hybrid - according to Consumer Reports just as reliable as the TCH but starting in '13 much better mileage.
I looked hard at the FFH last year. The main problem with it for me is that if you get one with a moonroof, the headliner is too low. I'm 5'11" and I felt like the car roof was bearing down on my head. There's even less headroom in the back seat. The TCH XLE with moonroof, on the other hand, has plenty of headroom front and back -- headroom in the back seat is important to us, because I have some tall friends who visit from time to time.

In addition, the FFH just has too many bells and whistles for my wife, who'll be driving our prospective hybrid. She didn't like the instrument panel display with the leaves. (I know you can change it to a more simple display, if you want.) It has too many bells and whistles for me as well. I just don't want to pay for all that stuff, and I think it would be hard to find an FFH with moonroof and leather without it. Plus, I've been lurking in an FFH forum, and I've seen too many complaints about the display resetting itself and so forth. Also, I've seen too many instances of people reporting that they could not start their cars, or the cars died because their 12V batteries discharged. (Two or three such complaints are two or three too many for me.) I haven't seen any complaints about this re. the TCH, but maybe I missed something.

Also, I rented an '11 TCH last year and drove the TCH and the Ford product back-to-back (actually a Lincoln MKZ hybrid; but with the same drivetrain as the FFH), and I thought the TCH was much smoother. The '12 TCH is smoother still, and more powerful.

In the FFH's favor, Ford's Sync system is really, really good and from what I can tell, blows Toyota's system out of the water. But that's not enough to sell me on this car.

And finally, Toyota's dealerships have had a lot more experience with the Camry/Prius hybrid systems than Ford dealerships have had with Ford's system, which is still relatively new. You have to work maintenance issues into the equation when you're choosing between the two. The FFH might be the "cooler" car, but how cool will it be when it develops some kind of problem that the Ford mechanics can't diagnose? Consider also that Ford has produced far fewer hybrids than Toyota has, and each of its dealers have sold far fewer hybrid cars than Toyota dealers. So Ford mechanics haven't had the opportunity to service as many hybrid cars for as long as Toyota mechanics have. I'd rather go with the more experienced service departments.

I decided last year that I didn't want to be the first on my block with an FFH. Call me stodgy, but I sure wouldn't want to be one of the first buyers of a radically redesigned FFH with a lithium-ion battery pack.

Well, obviously, I have a lot more concerns about this car than its lack of headroom. I hope my observations are helpful.

Old 04-04-2012, 01:31 PM
Active Enthusiast

I have owned mostly Ford cars over the years and I wouldn't recommend buying anything with high end electronics from Detroit. They're mostly shortsighted products with no long term reliability, if you ever get one get an extended warranty that covers everything (some of them won't cover the nav) I was also able to compare the engine compartment of FFH vs TCH and the FFH (and most Fords) have the worst service accessibility to the components. Think of how everything is tightly squeezed in FFH and the space in TCH. How many layers of components you have to remove just to service a part which equates to high amount of labor charges if you let the dealer fix it.

I can't even see a single FFH driving around in Kansas City, as for the TCH there are lots of them including the 2012 models.

If they couldn't build a decent CD player that last, how about a Hybrid system?

Old 04-04-2012, 04:44 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Aptos Driver
I decided last year that I didn't want to be the first on my block with an FFH. Call me stodgy, but I sure wouldn't want to be one of the first buyers of a radically redesigned FFH with a lithium-ion battery pack.
I agree with you about not wanting to be the first year buyer but I will look at it after the '14 year model comes out. Consumer Reports has it's highest reliability marking so far so we'll see if that holds up. I haven't test drove one yet so can't say anything about head room but I am 6' 2" and that mighte end up being a problem. Also the '13 redesign looks real nice in the pictures I have seen.
Anyway, I will look at the TCH and FFH about this time in two years and see what they have to offer.