Canadian TCH Rebate Increases by $1500

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 08:41 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Canadian TCH Rebate Increases by $1500

Originally Posted by SPL
Sooty — Because this is the government, not a for-profit corporation.

Stan
So please explain why it is different because it's government?

Old 03-27-2007, 06:21 AM
Dazed and Confused

So Stan, how far back do you want to go to be fair? Should all people that EVER bought a hybrid be entitled to the rebate? That is not fair to people who bought normal ICE cars that are very efficient. So should they be included? Well, then if so, how far back should that go? Then that is not fair to the people who bought just slightly less efficient vehicles, should they be included?

The fact of the matter is, ALL programs must have a start date, and unfortunatly, you were ahead of this start date.

Old 03-27-2007, 01:54 PM
SPL
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Guys, all I've said all along is that in my view, because of the fact that the new federal legislation in Canada lists only specific 2007 model-year, fuel-efficient vehicles (including the TCH) for the rebate, this rebate should be available to all purchesers of these vehicles. There is no mention of pre-2007 vehicles in the legislation. I never suggested that the rebate should be extended to pre-2007 vehicles, and indeed this would be unreasonable and unworkable. Nor did I suggest that already-bought gas guzzlers should be subject to the additional penalty tax. Don't stretch it out of context! You may disagree with me — what I've said is just my opinion.

It might be worthwhile for you to have a look at the actual legislation (I did!). See:
http://www.budget.gc.ca/2007/bp/bpc3e.html
and
http://www.tc.gc.ca/programs/environ...rt/ecoauto.htm
for the specific details from the Finance Department and from Transport Canada respectively.

Stan

Old 03-27-2007, 02:30 PM
Active Enthusiast

hi
has this budget passed?, im looking at a hybrid to buy really soon just went for a test drive today, best i can do is about $1300 off msrp
i know i can get the pst (or rst as they call it) but the fed money, is it a sure thing, or does it still have to go through various reading? i mean they will be on summer break soon!
thanks
dan
its not a deal breaker, but every bit helps

Old 03-27-2007, 07:28 PM
HSD Organic Interface

Originally Posted by camrydan
hi
has this budget passed?, im looking at a hybrid to buy really soon just went for a test drive today, best i can do is about $1300 off msrp
i know i can get the pst (or rst as they call it) but the fed money, is it a sure thing, or does it still have to go through various reading? i mean they will be on summer break soon!
thanks
dan
Not yet, but if it's not a deal breaker, no worries. If the budget passes, and it should as the "Bloc" has indicated they will support it, the rebate will be retro-active to the announcement date.

I bought my TCH last spring right after the Ontario Govt announced in last year's provincial budget the increase in the PST rebate from $1000 to $2000. I sat on the application for about 6 weeks before sending it in while I waited for the provincial budget to formally be passed into law, and then to make sure the gov't workers responsible were then properly informed of the changes. At that point there was already a rebate in place, only the amount has changed. For this one, it's brand new so I expect you'll have to be patient while they do the setup.

So if you're gonna buy anyway, no reason to wait.

Old 03-27-2007, 07:46 PM
Active Enthusiast

hi
i see on the news the budget was passed (today) so i think its a go for tch! need to sleep on it, (if i can!) blue ribbon
if somebody wants a 2003 mini cooper s, black.white 24k let me know..soon, as in trade in soon, asking $24700, in autotrader, toronto area
dan

Old 03-29-2007, 06:45 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by camrydan
hi
thanks
dan
Hi,

I am also looking to buy an civic hybrid, and from your earlier note, i wanted to ask, that is the provincial rebate dollar for dollar, or is it something that you use during filing your tax return?

thanks

Old 03-29-2007, 07:13 PM
HSD Organic Interface

Originally Posted by maverick7
Hi,

I am also looking to buy an civic hybrid, and from your earlier note, i wanted to ask, that is the provincial rebate dollar for dollar, or is it something that you use during filing your tax return?

thanks
The Ontario provincial rebate is a rebate on your provincial sales tax, up to a max of $2000. If, for example, you only pay $1700 in PST, then that is the most you can claim for a rebate. Making a trade in will lower the tax you pay, thus possibly lowering your rebate so something to consider. After buying the car you simply send in the application with appropriate documents, nothing to do with filing your tax return.

Old 03-29-2007, 07:40 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Droid13
The Ontario provincial rebate is a rebate on your provincial sales tax, up to a max of $2000. If, for example, you only pay $1700 in PST, then that is the most you can claim for a rebate. Making a trade in will lower the tax you pay, thus possibly lowering your rebate so something to consider. After buying the car you simply send in the application with appropriate documents, nothing to do with filing your tax return.
Thanks for ur help..really appreciate it.