Getting Canadian eco-rebate on US hybrid?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 07:23 PM
Enthusiast
Default Getting Canadian eco-rebate on US hybrid?

I understand some Canadian car dealerships/brokers are buying hybrids from the US and selling them in Canada for a small premium (usually about $1000). Since they bring in the car as an inter-dealership transfer, the first "sale" will be made in Canada. Has anyone bought such a car and been successful in getting the eco-rebate? Technically, I would think that such cars should still be eligible, as all Canadian Camry Hybrids come from the US anyway.

Subu

Old 02-27-2008, 10:24 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Getting Canadian eco-rebate on US hybrid?

Originally Posted by subu
I understand some Canadian car dealerships/brokers are buying hybrids from the US and selling them in Canada for a small premium (usually about $1000). Since they bring in the car as an inter-dealership transfer, the first "sale" will be made in Canada. Has anyone bought such a car and been successful in getting the eco-rebate? Technically, I would think that such cars should still be eligible, as all Canadian Camry Hybrids come from the US anyway.

Subu
Technically, yes.

But you know the gov't. It won't give it to you even though it's supposed to promote the purchase of fuel efficient vehicles. Only Canadian bought TCHs will be eligible.

Look at the 2009 TCHs. Their prices have dropped considerably ($30,660 for a base TCH with power moonroof, dual illuminated vanity mirrors and rear reading lights standard).

Old 02-28-2008, 10:21 AM
Enthusiast

But, if 2009 models are not eligible for the Federal eco-rebate, it's still working out cheaper to buy the car in the US. It's $5000 cheaper down there. As it's made in the US, no customs duty to bring it across the border. Only additionals are the RIV fee, AC fee, safety inspection, and putting in a block heater--all of which cost less than $500 total. The minus I see is that the US 2009 TCH doesn't have a moonroof as standard. Don't care for the vanity mirrors and read reading lights.

Sorry, but I need quite some convincing to buy the TCH (or any car for that matter) in Canada.

Subu

Old 02-28-2008, 12:28 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by subu
But, if 2009 models are not eligible for the Federal eco-rebate, it's still working out cheaper to buy the car in the US. It's $5000 cheaper down there. As it's made in the US, no customs duty to bring it across the border. Only additionals are the RIV fee, AC fee, safety inspection, and putting in a block heater--all of which cost less than $500 total. The minus I see is that the US 2009 TCH doesn't have a moonroof as standard. Don't care for the vanity mirrors and read reading lights.

Sorry, but I need quite some convincing to buy the TCH (or any car for that matter) in Canada.

Subu
Something like that unless you find a 2008 which currently has $1,500 off (I'll wait til next week if I were you) so you can get the $1,500 EcoAuto rebate which you can't get on the US TCH (a few ppl here have tried).

The DRLs need a bit of work since they have a DRL OFF function so just find a way so that you can't turn it to that DRL OFF position then you'll pass.