Camry Hybrid Windshield replacement -- FINAL/real info

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 01:38 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Camry Hybrid Windshield replacement -- FINAL/real info

Ok, after hours on the phone and researching, here's the deal for us TCH owners with cracked windshields. I'm posting this in a new thread so it's easy to find--it would have saved my a lot of time and frustration.

First, the hybrid DEFINITELY does use a different windshield than the non-hybrid 2007 Camrys use and it is an acoustic-dampening glass. The hybrid part number is 5610133680. And they do cost over $1,000 and are in very short supply.

Safelite, and most other autoglass places show the only options for 2007 Camrys are those with and without auto-dim/electrochromatic rearview mirrors. Some simply don't list the hybrid as a separate model/option, and others appears to list the hybrid in with the gas versions. Either way, they show a part number (non-OEM) of FWO2628GBY and a price of $450-$500. In other words, they will tell you the hybrid doesn't use a special windshield and will try to put the wrong one in your TCH.

I had to give them the 5610133680 part number and request they do a cross reference search on it. Even then, only one glass place in my town(Columbus, OH), Guardian Autoglass, was willing/able to figure out what was going on. I spoke with Gary there and he was very helpful.

The autoglass place will have to go through a special approval process because you will be specifying that you want original OEM glass.

I'm supposed to have mine installed in 5 days. I'll update if there are any changes/major surprises.

Old 08-16-2006, 01:53 PM
Keeping Toyota Solvent
Default Re: Camry Hybrid Windshield replacement -- FINAL/real info

Just what is "acoustic-dampening glass" and how does it differ from "non-acoustic-dampening glass"?

Old 08-16-2006, 02:26 PM
2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid

Originally Posted by schmidtj
Just what is "acoustic-dampening glass" and how does it differ from "non-acoustic-dampening glass"?
It is just what it SOUNDS like. It cuts down on some noise infiltration in the car making it quieter while on the road. The short version - they use plastic laminates(PVB's) embedded in the glass to attenuate sound in certain frequencies.

Here is something DuPont did to deaden sound with auto glass:
With SentryGlas Acoustic™ – a new polymer designed specifically to reduce noise – DuPont transcends the acoustic performance of traditional laminated glass by deadening sound (dampening) at frequencies most objectionable to human ears: in the range of 1000 to 3000 Hz.
A short article explaining it: http://www.glassfiles.com/library/22/article446.htm

And if you are a glutton for details, read this multi-page article:
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...12/ai_n9303485

Last edited by TKCamry; 08-16-2006 at 03:01 PM.
Old 08-16-2006, 05:01 PM
Too Smug

Great job ntguru. Thanks for your persistence. I will file this away should my little chip ever widen into a crack.

Old 08-16-2006, 07:03 PM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Heck,my '57 Chevy had a laminated windshield. I think all the window glass was laminated. A car before it's time I guess.
J

Old 08-16-2006, 09:14 PM
Active Enthusiast

Well, I'm having my windshield replaced tomorrow. (See the thread about how expensive a cracked windshield is for the full story).

Have to tell you, I had a much different (and better) experience. I orginally called Koons Toyota in Tysons Corner VA and they referred me to the glass company they use (Windshield City).

Mike at that company is fantastic. He made some phone calls, and within 10 minutes told me that basically there is no aftermarket glass, the Camry Hybrid does indeed take a different windshield, and its in very short supply.

A few minutes later he called back--he checked with Toyota's OEM supplier, a company called AP Technoligies I believe. Apparently they are having trouble just keeping up with Toyota's demand, let alone excess windshields for resale.

Mike then ordered factory glass through Toyota directly from their supplier. Cost of the glass alone is $1102. The glass was sent to him from the supplier directly. He then ordered a molding for it, which was sent directly from Toyota in Los Angeles.

Total cost of the job is $1406. I ran it through AllState. I pay my deductible, they pay the rest. Mike made it clear to them that there was no other glass even available, so they approved it no problem. He did warn me that insurance companies try to use Safelite, which he described as crap. Any car 24 months or newer should get a factory windshield through their insurance company.

So, tomorrow morning I bring my baby in for a new windshield. I'll let everybody know how it turns out.

Old 08-25-2006, 05:42 AM
Enthusiast

Hi MFLetou,

Thank you, this is great info. Well, sadly, our windshiled got hit with a stone on a highway. big noise and an immediate nice quater size half moon. we had a guy come in to repair it the follwing day. as he started to drill, the half moon started to crack towards the middle and the side. so, now we have an unrepairable crack from the side to the middle - and it continues to spread every day. i hope it won't get into the driver's field of vision. of course, i am wondering - maybe if we had let it be the crack would not have started. the guy, predictably, said that it should be be fixed and at the end we went with his expertise. he did admit afterwards that a crack during a repair happens very rarely...
At any rate, about 3000 miles on and we need a new windshield - we will probably drive with the cracked one for a while but sooner or later will have it replaced (maybe when it gets another chip? . anyone any recommedations what shop to use for the new windshield? Harmon Glass/ Doctor Glass chain?? MFLEtou - how did you instalation go? Any issues? Any tips? When I called the HG, they did quote me about $1200 for the windhshield and about $250 for the installation. And, they did say that they are in short supply and it will take about a week to get it from Toyota.

Originally Posted by MFLetou
Well, I'm having my windshield replaced tomorrow. (See the thread about how expensive a cracked windshield is for the full story).

Have to tell you, I had a much different (and better) experience. I orginally called Koons Toyota in Tysons Corner VA and they referred me to the glass company they use (Windshield City).

Mike at that company is fantastic. He made some phone calls, and within 10 minutes told me that basically there is no aftermarket glass, the Camry Hybrid does indeed take a different windshield, and its in very short supply.

A few minutes later he called back--he checked with Toyota's OEM supplier, a company called AP Technoligies I believe. Apparently they are having trouble just keeping up with Toyota's demand, let alone excess windshields for resale.

Mike then ordered factory glass through Toyota directly from their supplier. Cost of the glass alone is $1102. The glass was sent to him from the supplier directly. He then ordered a molding for it, which was sent directly from Toyota in Los Angeles.

Total cost of the job is $1406. I ran it through AllState. I pay my deductible, they pay the rest. Mike made it clear to them that there was no other glass even available, so they approved it no problem. He did warn me that insurance companies try to use Safelite, which he described as crap. Any car 24 months or newer should get a factory windshield through their insurance company.

So, tomorrow morning I bring my baby in for a new windshield. I'll let everybody know how it turns out.

Old 08-25-2006, 05:49 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Isn't that covered by Comprehensive?
I carry $0 deductible on Comp.
It's cheap compared to Collision and Liability insurance.
J

Old 08-25-2006, 08:24 AM
Active Enthusiast

Well I had my windshield done last week for about $1500 total. My comprehensive deductible was $250. The company I used was local--Guardian Glass--and they did a fine job.

It cost me $1/mo to drop my comprehensive deductible from $250 to $100, and I may drop it to $0 assuming the cost is linear. If I get another broken windshield within 150 months then I've got my ROI. Based on how small the impact was for my last windshield, I'm pretty confident I won't go even half that long before the next rock break.

Old 08-25-2006, 07:10 PM
Active Enthusiast

In Florida there is no deductable for comprehensive. Front bumper was torn by a raccoon and replacement was covered 100% No out of pocket. Same situation for a windshield. They will try to repair it first but if that is not possable it gets replaced.

Quick Reply: Camry Hybrid Windshield replacement -- FINAL/real info

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands