Camry Hybrid on the road

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 12:05 AM
Enthusiast deluxe
Default Re: Camry Hybrid on the road

Don't we all wish gas would jump to 10 bucks a gallon, even if just for a week to **** off people like those who would tailgate a TCH??
LOL
:-)
Spence

Old 10-12-2007, 05:25 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Honestly, I have to say my experience is there are a whole lot of Volvo drivers out there who drive like complete idiots. Maybe more than the car's fair share, even. Whether speed or just totally stupid behavior. So me, seeing a Volvo, my first thought these days is definitely not "oh, Volvo driver, safe/slow", it's more of "uh-oh, Volvo driver..."

Ok not really, hehe. But when it comes up and it's yet another Volvo, I do add it to the mental tally as "see, another one reinforcing my conclusion that maybe a lot of people buy Volvos because they _need_ a safe car"?

Old 10-12-2007, 05:56 AM
Active Enthusiast

I've personally have not had this problem with the TCH... Occasionally, when I'm going 10-15 over the limit and see a fast approaching car in lane one, I move over... Some people like to go alot faster than 10-15 over the limit, and I respect that. If 10-15 over the limit in lane 1 is too slow, I'll stay in lane 2 or 3 or whatever. You go with the flow.

Old 10-12-2007, 11:36 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by megamonsterman

They just were pushing me to go faster when there is no where to go in front of me. As the traffic is like bumper to bumper. At times it really gets into me and wanting to race with them. Then i just calm down and forget about it.
I occasionally have that similar problem in the evenings when people are headed home from work. I sometimes have to speed up the TCH with some almost pushing me when I take off from a red light. It's worse when i'm the lead car. Many times I see the average mpg display go down from .1 to .3 of gallon after a rather quick takeoff. I simply try to make up for it later when there is little traffic. Driving in the EV mode below 40 miles per hour helps most. Cruising at 45 miles per hour on the though streets in town also helps.

Old 10-12-2007, 10:53 PM
Active Enthusiast

Years ago I got angry when tailgated, but now I just wonder what misfortunes the guy tailing me is going through. I drive about the speeds everybody else is going, and get out of the way when somebody wants to zoom. Why should I care? They'll get the ticket, and I can continue to enjoy my 5-10+ over the speed limit. I've never had a speeding ticket or stop, but I never drive at or under the limit, and my mpg is not great (34 mpg) because I love to accelerate, and the TCH is so smooth with its torque.

I know people get harrassed on the road, and I wonder why I don't. I previously drove an older Toyota Corolla, and now a black TCH with all the badges and I've had the same experience with both. No agressors leaving any impression upon me. I think I decided long ago that pretending to be submissive to speedy guys was much more amusing than "holding my territory."

Old 10-16-2007, 03:50 AM
blahhhhhh!

I just thought of something on my drive into work that happened to me a few months ago, when I still had my envoy. I was at a gas station in another state filling up (not an uncommon occurrence) and this lady in a prius pulled up at the next pump and glared at me for a good minute before getting out of her car to pump her gas. Maybe she just wanted to glare because I had NY plates, but at the time I was pretty sure she was just glaring at me because she was probably averaging 40 mpg better than I was