Break-in for TCH

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 11:56 AM
Active Enthusiast
Arrow Break-in for TCH

In reviewing my spreadsheet which has all the information on every fillup I've done along with other parameters, I have come to the conclusion that my recent experience with increased FE is partially due to break-in for the car. After 7,000 miles, I have seen at least a 2MPG increase in my FE.

Some may say that's due to warmer temperatures. That plays a part; however, I looked at my FE when I was driving under similar conditions of temperature and %Highway, and I still see that 2 MPG increase. Some of it is due to the engine, some due to the tires, some due to better understanding on how to drive. But I still feel that break-in is also a factor.

Old 07-15-2007, 12:28 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Break-in for TCH

I don't drive my cars very hard. My '94 Corolla took over 3000 miles to break-in. The 2003 Corolla took over 4000 miles. The 2006 Ford 500 (V6) took 8000 miles.

You are correct in saying 7000 miles for for the engine to be completely broke-in. I did notice with some of these cars of seeing a little improvement in power and gas mileage at about 1500 miles, some again at 300 miles. It's that final break-in thats best, full power and improved gas mileage of 2 or 3 mpg.

Our new THC should come in week. I will simply drive it and allow it to break-in slowly. I will be cautious of any highway speeds. I'm a gas mileage person so i'm easy on acceleration and the brakes.

Gee, I usually start my break-in by driving a hour or so on city streets. I get tired, I let the wife drive. With the hybrid my method won't work. Here were I live there it not much traffic on the 4-lane. I can do it there allowing the engine to run a while then let it shut off. The heating and cooling of the engine also is part of the break-in.

I have seen guys complain of no power on a new car test drive. What do they expect with a brand new engine that still tight from the factory.

Last edited by rburt07; 07-15-2007 at 12:39 PM.
Old 07-15-2007, 12:40 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Break-in for TCH

I don't drive my cars very hard. My '94 Corolla took over 3000 miles to break-in. The 2003 Corolla took over 4000 miles. The 2006 Ford 500 (V6) took 8000 miles.

You are correct in saying 7000 miles for for the engine to be completely broke-in. I did notice with some of these cars of seeing a little improvement in power and gas mileage at about 1500 miles, some again at 300 miles. It's that final break-in thats best, full power and improved gas mileage, usually 2 or 3 mpg.

Our new THC should come in week. I will simply drive it around and allow it to break-in slowly. I will be cautious of any normal highway speeds. I'm a gas mileage person so i'm easy on acceleration and the brakes.

I have seen guys complain of no power on a new car test drive. What do they expect with a brand new engine that still tight from the factory.

Last edited by rburt07; 07-15-2007 at 12:43 PM.