Auxiliary cable for MP3 Player

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 08:26 PM
Enthusiast
Default Auxiliary cable for MP3 Player

Is there a specific name for the Auxiliary cable to hook up an IPOD to the Aux port in the Camry? Anyone have a link to buy one?

Old 03-21-2007, 08:46 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Auxiliary cable for MP3 Player

You need a 3.5mm plug on both ends - your local Radio Shack should have one.

I bought the Belkin Car in-Line Connection for iPod which is a retractable 3.5mm Cable from the Apple Store though its way pricey at $19.95 (hey I had gift card) - here's the link - http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...lm=TK879LL%2FA. Clearly one found on-line or at the Shack will be cheaper. Good Luck

Old 03-22-2007, 04:02 AM
Led-footed HyBrid geek

Originally Posted by titaniummd
Is there a specific name for the Auxiliary cable to hook up an IPOD to the Aux port in the Camry? Anyone have a link to buy one?
A realy nice cable that works well is the Belkin auto kit.
http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_Id=149006
(It comes in black or white)
I purchased mine at Target

It plugs into the power source and the AUX connection in your console.
Connects to the iPod with the dock connector.
Charges your iPod
iPod turns on/off with car ignition.

You will need to purchase a short (6") cable to connect the belkin to the aux port in your console cubby hole

Old 03-22-2007, 05:16 AM
Electricity Guzzler

I plugged in my new Sansa E260 (4 gig) this morn. with one of those cables and only got sound from the left speakers. (very weird)

I checked the balance on the cars stereo. it was proper but I couldn't get sound of the right speaker using the mp3 player.

I checked the settings on the player, they were balanced. the player sends proper stereo sound to the earphones when they're plugged in.

the cable I used I had lying around the house, probably for some time. I can't remember how or when I got it.

Are there versions of these cables that are mono? I will go to the Shack to get a new one, but I can't imagine that there's a mono and stereo version of these cables. Maybe my cable is old and has a short?

any ideas?

tx

Old 03-22-2007, 05:43 AM
Enthusiast

3.5MM cables can be Mono or Stereo - here's a link to Cables-to-Go which shows both - this is page 1, for mono, then go to page 2;

http://www.cablestogo.com/product_li...FQtpGAodqDrMJg

Also the Belkin Auto Kit is great if you need power to the iPod but you still need a dual 3.5MM plug cable as I beleive this kit only has a 3.5MM jack for use with their FM transmitter or Aux cable. I used this in my Murano before buying my TCH. I wouldn't go back to FM transmitters after having AUX.

So far I'm A-OK with using only the Aux jack to connect my iPod or Sirius Starmate4. I was considering a VAIS SoundLinQ SLI to interface my iPod with the TCH audio system but the sound quality via AUX is so good (& in stereo) that I'll save my $$$ for now.

Last edited by tjd24; 03-22-2007 at 05:47 AM.
Old 03-22-2007, 06:00 AM
Led-footed HyBrid geek

Originally Posted by fullofbeans
I plugged in my new Sansa E260 (4 gig) this morn. with one of those cables and only got sound from the left speakers. (very weird)

I checked the balance on the cars stereo. it was proper but I couldn't get sound of the right speaker using the mp3 player.

I checked the settings on the player, they were balanced. the player sends proper stereo sound to the earphones when they're plugged in.

the cable I used I had lying around the house, probably for some time. I can't remember how or when I got it.

Are there versions of these cables that are mono? I will go to the Shack to get a new one, but I can't imagine that there's a mono and stereo version of these cables. Maybe my cable is old and has a short?

any ideas?

tx
There are mono versions of cables. I have a set of PC speakers that use mono cables for each speaker.
You can determine the type by the number of rings around the chrome plug. 2=stereo 1=mono
If it is a stereo cable, you need to make sure it is plugged all the way in, in both devices. If the cable is not plugged all the way in, you will only get one channel.

Old 03-22-2007, 06:08 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fullofbeans

any ideas?

tx
Bound to be the cable - that's the first thing I'd try. Find the shortest one you can - and good luck with that. Also, if you end up needing one of these
http://cgi.ebay.com/PAC-SNI-1-3-5-Gr...QQcmdZViewItem
to filter out noise - I bought two, but my husband didn't need one, so I have an extra. I can make you a deal, if I can find the thing laying around the house...

Old 03-22-2007, 06:18 AM
Led-footed HyBrid geek

Originally Posted by elsifer
Bound to be the cable - that's the first thing I'd try. Find the shortest one you can - and good luck with that. Also, if you end up needing one of these
http://cgi.ebay.com/PAC-SNI-1-3-5-Gr...QQcmdZViewItem
to filter out noise - I bought two, but my husband didn't need one, so I have an extra. I can make you a deal, if I can find the thing laying around the house...
My filter arrives today. I purchased one from Crutchfield.
I think proximity of the AUX to the power outlet may be some of the reason for the noise in the TCH

Old 03-22-2007, 07:53 AM
Electricity Guzzler

thank you everyone for your feedback.

after reading your replies. I know remember learning about the 1 ring mono, 2 rings stereo rule. (it's been a while)

I just checked my cord and yes it was mono. it must have been some freebie that came with an old walkman I had.

tx again.

- now I won't look like such a hockey puck when I go to the store tonight. I'm hoping I won't need a filter.

Old 03-22-2007, 01:13 PM
Enthusiast

its just a generic 1/8" to 1/8" plug, its possible that the .99 store could have one.

Quick Reply: Auxiliary cable for MP3 Player

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands