Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 07:19 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Bad Smell in Air Filter or A/c

May be something simple lol!

Old 03-31-2007, 09:21 AM
Enthusiast
Red face Re: Bad Smell in Air Filter or A/c

You may laugh at the dealer, but on my last Camry while I was visiting Mexico my wife and I noticed a bad smell in the air conditioning. We tried everything to get rid of it. I finaly took it to the Toyota dealer in Guadalajara, and they took the system apart. While waiting in the dealership, one of the mechanics came out with a big smile on his face and showed me the fan assembly. There was a dried up old MOUSE wedged in the fan blades. They couldn't tell me how it got there!

Hopefully my new camry hybrid won't have that problem!!

Tom S.

Last edited by TomS; 03-31-2007 at 09:23 AM.
Old 04-29-2007, 05:55 PM
Enthusiast

Mine is new, and I'm sure I don't have any foreign objects in the HVAC unless they got in there at the factory or the dealer.

Anyway, I noticed I get the funky smell everytime approximately 15-20 seconds after I turn of the air conditioning. And the smell only lasts for about 5 seconds. Very weird. Anybody else have the same thing?

Old 04-30-2007, 07:16 PM
Active Enthusiast

Down here starting and stopping on hot humid days can build moisture in th A/C unit and causes a musty oder. My solution is to run the heater for ten minutes when the smell get too bad. Not much fun on a 90 degree day but it usually works.

Old 05-01-2007, 06:36 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Doubtful Owner
Anyway, I noticed I get the funky smell everytime approximately 15-20 seconds after I turn of the air conditioning. And the smell only lasts for about 5 seconds. Very weird. Anybody else have the same thing?

If I shut off the TCH with the A/C on, I notice a funky smell the next day like you describe. If I turn off the A/C about a mile or so before I shut off the TCH, I don't notice the smell the next day.

I think it is just a blast of humid stale air trapped in the evaporator.

Old 05-01-2007, 10:54 PM
Enthusiast

I've Got A Black Tch, With Nav. The Airconditioner Is Defaulted To Switch The Blower To "interior Circulation" When The System Needs To Quickly Cool The Vehicle - As When You First Get In The Car When It's Been Out In The Hot Sun, Or When You Re-set The Cooling Temperature To A Lower Cooling Setting.
The Smell Is Coming From The System Running On "interior Circulation", Which Through No Fault Of The Driver, Always Seems To Find Its' Way The The "on" Position.
You Can Try To Remember This, And Always Check Your Airconditioner Controls And Shut "interior Circulation" Off.
The Other Alternative Is To Have The Dealer Re-program The System So That "interior Circulation" Is Not The Default Setting.
I've Had This Problem With Other Vehicles. Just Run Your Airconditioner With Fresh Air Setting - Not Interior Circulation.
I Haven't Been To A Dealer Yet, But This Is One Of The Items I Will Have The Dealer Re-set.