Bad Smell in Air Filter or A/c

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 11:36 AM
Enthusiast
Default Bad Smell in Air Filter or A/c

Hi -- in both my brand new TCH as well as my 2007 regular Camry, I get a bad sweet smell which often comes from the air filter and/or a/c. This must be a common problem. Does anyone know what this is so I can have the dealer fix it? Thanks!

Old 01-10-2007, 03:48 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Bad Smell in Air Filter or A/c

Originally Posted by Palos Verdes Mag Grey
Hi -- in both my brand new TCH as well as my 2007 regular Camry, I get a bad sweet smell which often comes from the air filter and/or a/c. This must be a common problem. Does anyone know what this is so I can have the dealer fix it? Thanks!
Check your manual.... If I had mine handy I would look up the page # for you, but this is addressed in the manual. If memory serves me right Toyota recommends we turn the fan on full blast for a few seconds (with fresh air I believe?) before turning off the car to clear moisture out of the ducts when you smell that odor.

Anyone have there owners manual handy?

Old 01-10-2007, 05:20 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks very much --- you are more knowledgable than my local dealer, who thought that it was caused by mice or leaves getting into the system!

Old 03-27-2007, 10:59 AM
Enthusiast

I have the same problem, especially when I first start up my Camry Hybrid. Did the solution above solve the problem?

Old 03-27-2007, 12:06 PM
Enthusiast

Hi --- unfortunately, I still get the same smell sometimes. I think there must be a flaw in the air system (I noted that the Camry uses a new ozone air system made by Sharp), and it seems as though water must be pooling somewhere and generating bacteria.

I'll keep mentioning it to my dealer!

Old 03-27-2007, 12:43 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I also get a funky odor from the vents once in a while. I haven't paid enough attention to find out exactly what circumstances create the odor (a/c vs no a/c, fresh air vs recirculated air, etc...)

Old 03-27-2007, 03:35 PM
Active Enthusiast

Just wanted to chime in that I have the same problem. Never really placed much attention to it though.

Old 03-27-2007, 05:21 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Mine only does this when the A/C function has been off for a while, and was then turned back on. If I leave the A/C on all the time, I never smell anything.

Old 03-28-2007, 11:13 PM
Enthusiast

My car has 5,000 miles. The funny smell that I get smells like sweat or smelly water. I only get the smell as I first start up the car and the A/C. I'm experimenting with using the fan to blow out any moisture before turning the car off as suggested above. Will post an update on my results.

Old 03-29-2007, 04:16 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Palos Verdes Mag Grey
Thanks very much --- you are more knowledgable than my local dealer, who thought that it was caused by mice or leaves getting into the system!
LOL!

Mice or leaves? Thanks for the technical support, local dealer...

Quick Reply: Bad Smell in Air Filter or A/c

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands