Am I driving wrong

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 07:21 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Am I driving wrong

I have owned my Toyota Camry Hybrid ("TCH") since October 2006, I wish I knew about this website earlier... I have averaged around 34-36 MPG.

My current strategy for driving the TCH: (any feedback would be appreciated)
1) Maximize The Electric Mode ("EM") - I avoid highways and try to drive between 35/40 MPH. It appears to me that the TCH can go long stretches with out having to use the Internal Combustion Engine ("ICE"). On a good day, using this method the Trip MPG, Bar Graph, is off the charts.
2) Coasting to stop lights - I definitely look ahead and see what the lights are doing and drive accordingly, if its yellow and turning red, I let up on the pedal and coast to the stop light. This seems to help re-charge the EM.
3) Heretical Mode ("HM") - I am still learning how to best use this mode. Thanks to these forum!! Basically, and please correct me if I am wrong, when accelerating or maintaining certain cruising speeds, the ICE and EM will work together resulting in better Fuel efficiency ("FE"). I have not been able to consistently recreate HM driving. Seems to come and go based on a bunch of variables. If anyone can shed more light on HM driving that would be much appreciated.

In closing, I have noticed that I sacrifice time, by driving in the city vs taking the highway, driving slower vs driving faster, taking longer routes that allow more EM usage, look for city roads with 35 to 45 speed signs, etc. My friends still let me drive but they make fun of me a lot for "taking the long way". I still do not have a strong handle on how some folks are consistently getting 40+ MPG. Any feedback overall would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-10-2007, 08:57 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SilverCamryHybrid
In closing, I have noticed that I sacrifice time, by driving in the city vs taking the highway, driving slower vs driving faster, taking longer routes that allow more EM usage, look for city roads with 35 to 45 speed signs, etc. My friends still let me drive but they make fun of me a lot for "taking the long way".
Keep in mind that the real goal is to decrease total gas consumption. If the "long way" ends up using more gas, because it is further to travel, than the "short way", it isn't as good, even if it results in higher mpg.

Last edited by talmy; 08-10-2007 at 10:06 AM. Reason: got "higher" "lower" wrong
Old 08-10-2007, 12:11 PM
SPL
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

FastMover — Actually, it's the distance travelled at a given FE, and not the time spent at that instantaneous FE, that matters as far as the trip's overall FE is concerned. This may sound counter-intuitive, but I proved it in a post some time ago. It's because the measure we're using (mpg or L/100 km) is a fuel-quantity-versus-distance ratio. Time doesn't come into it at all. Thus, what you need to do (which is not so easy to achieve!), is to make your distance-averaged instantaneous FE (not your time-averaged instantaneous FE) as low as possible.

Stan

Old 08-10-2007, 12:21 PM
Old Boomer Techie
Thumbs up Re: Am I driving wrong

Stan - Quite true, but we are talking here about rules of thumb that can be used without excessive attention to fuel over time / distance over time calculations. The "recovery" time or distance at a specfic semi-coasting or cruise MPG for a timed or distance fuel expenditure over a target FE can be calculated easily enough, but it should not be done while driving. Rule of Thumb, as stated in my previous post, agressive acceleration, but not so agressive as to have the EUC put the engine into the raw power demand (pedal floored ). Not many of us are going to do mental gymnastics like "If I want 40 MPG average FE and I spend 12 seconds at 30 MPG going up a hill, then I need to spend at least 12 seconds at 50 MPG going downhill to offset it.", and that is a simple one with no ratios and rounded numbers. Imagine trying to do that constantly as a cumulative value for a whole trip.

Last edited by FastMover; 08-10-2007 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Rephrasing of minor wording.
Old 08-10-2007, 01:24 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Sure but on the other hand it's easy enough to say "for every .2 (or 2, or 20) miles i drive at 20 mpg i need to cover the same distance again in EV or .6/6/60 more at 60 mpg to average out to 40 mpg", hehe.

Old 08-10-2007, 09:55 PM
Enthusiast

This is a great thread, I'm glad the questions got asked.

I remember when I first got my TCH and the gas milage wasn't as good as what's reported on these forums. It takes some time for the car to brwak in, but probably the real change happens as you get used to driving it.

After 1200 miles I really noticed an improvement in MPG.

Take it easy, and don't use brakes. But when I'm in traffic I try to play along without going too slow. 40PSI on the tires helps and doesn't affect the ride too much.

Old 08-11-2007, 06:47 AM
HypoFueler

Originally Posted by SPL
FastMover — Actually, it's the distance travelled at a given FE, and not the time spent at that instantaneous FE, that matters as far as the trip's overall FE is concerned. This may sound counter-intuitive, but I proved it in a post some time ago. It's because the measure we're using (mpg or L/100 km) is a fuel-quantity-versus-distance ratio. Time doesn't come into it at all. Thus, what you need to do (which is not so easy to achieve!), is to make your distance-averaged instantaneous FE (not your time-averaged instantaneous FE) as low as possible.

Stan
Actually - this is true if the distance averaged "FE" is using "gal/mile or l/km" not MPG. So, Canadians can do this in their head, but in the US this mental math will probably cause more accidents

In general though - better FE for as much of the trip distance (or time) is a good goal.