Am I driving wrong

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 07:22 AM
World Traveler
Default Re: Am I driving wrong

I'm still in my first week of using mt TCH and I seem to be getting better mileage when I use the highway, even through there is lots of traffic, but it's mostly steady with few stops.

Old 08-09-2007, 08:14 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mikelan6
I'm still in my first week of using mt TCH and I seem to be getting better mileage when I use the highway, even through there is lots of traffic, but it's mostly steady with few stops.
The highway forces us to drive more efficiently using the techniques previously mentioned; Specifically, 1)No frequent starts and stops & 2)Minimal brake usage.
If you can figure out how to maximize those conditions within the city limits at city speeds of 25-35mph, your mpg will surely increase.

Old 08-09-2007, 01:17 PM
Enthusiast

well i guess i just have to do longer driving trips i went to san jose last night and back this morning. things i learned...

1. the car is more effecient going 68 mph than going 65 mph.
2. the slow lane is more practical and gets you to the same point.
3. gas in san fracisco is 3.29 while in san jose it's 2.86!!!!
4. minivans should not be allowed to drive more than 70 mph!

so with all this i was able to achive 42.7 mpg per the fe and the tank avg was 38.2. so much better.

thanks guys.! and Gals!!!

Old 08-09-2007, 01:23 PM
Old Boomer Techie
Post Re: Am I driving wrong

nash pretty well nailed it, but I have two points of refinement.

1. Accelerate briskly, but not with the pedal all the way to the floor. Overacceleration can also cause a drop in FE. As a rule of thumb, I start at around 10 MPG and rapidly get to a range of 20-25 MPG on anthing near level. If it is uphill, you need to be a little more aggressive - remember that it is the TIME spend in low MPG that harms FE.

2. When starting to reduce power after the initial acceleration, back down fairly quickly on the pedal. The rate of the pedal change seems to relate to the ratio that is initially set by the ECU for the PSD. At speeds above about 55 it will go right to a point where the sun gear is very slow or reversed (heretical mode). This is equivalent to a very high gear ratio, (sort of like overdrive), but you don't need to worry about the ICE RPM being too slow because the ECU will prevent it by either fine-tunig the PSD or demanding some short-term power from MG2.

Old 08-09-2007, 02:02 PM
Enthusiast

I had to "teach" my sister to drive her TCH to get the same mileage I'm getting. It takes a much "softer foot" and allowing the car to coast a lot more. That said, my sister lives in Portland, OR and takes this fairly steep road through the mountains on her way to work. On the trip home she climbs and has to stop a number of times. This would kill the gas mileage of ANY car. Last time i was in San Fran, it was pretty hilly, so that may be part of the issue.

Another thing, remember that one of the MPG rating on the display is per tank. The other is MPG per trip (that's the one with the bar graph). The only time I get the super great mileage on the tank reading is if I travel all highway from pump to pump, like on a long trip. But, when I check the trip MPGs it is often much better than the tank MPGs - i hope that makes sense.

I have also found that if I take my time and practice, my mileage has improved. In other words, I am getting better mileage now than I did a year ago, and that's because of my behavior and not the car.

Last edited by jbrandt04330; 08-09-2007 at 02:05 PM.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:37 PM
Active Enthusiast

Hey One1Cat!
Congrats on getting a TCH! I chuckled as I read your postings since I live just down the road from you in Pacifica. And yeah gas is definitely cheaper in the South Bay. If you aren't going that far, the Arco at 92 and Delaware just off of 101 is usually the cheapest on the upper peninsula here.

Want to add to Nash's and other suggestions, this tip. Just before you are ready to crest the hill ease off on the gas and let your momentum carry you over. This really helps me. And checking your route and alternatives for longer non-signalized downhills like Edgemar grade coming into Pacifica is great for mileage and battery charging.

Old 08-09-2007, 11:14 PM
Active Enthusiast
Arrow Re: Am I driving wrong

Originally Posted by one1cat

the slow lane is more practical and gets you to the same point.
I prefer the 3 lane to the 4 lane, since I drive with Cruise Control on. There are too many cars going in and out to effectively stay with Cruise in the #4 lane.

Cruise control when no big hills really helps your FE.

Old 08-10-2007, 04:38 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CA Girl
Want to add to Nash's and other suggestions, this tip. Just before you are ready to crest the hill ease off on the gas and let your momentum carry you over. This really helps me. And checking your route and alternatives for longer non-signalized downhills like Edgemar grade coming into Pacifica is great for mileage and battery charging.
Yes! I keep thinking about mentioning this tip myself! My way of putting it is basically take your foot off the gas just a little bit _before_ your natural tendency. You want to push it all the way till you get over the crest, but any meaningful uphill ground you can cover in EV mode has to be a significant benefit, and you can generally coast or just push in EV mode to get over that last bit of hill without losing much/any meaningful speed. Think of the FE you're getting on those uphill stretches, and what is it--10mpg? 5? And compare that with what's technically infinite mpg? There's this one hill I hit on my way home that has a traffic light at the top, at a 5-way intersection, and a short light, so I'm pretty much guaranteed not to get a green light there. I get a silly little thrill trying to EV mode all the way up it (or as much as I can, occasionally slightly heavy on the pedal and it kicks on the gas for a second) so I can use 0 gas instead of having low FE on the way up--it's reeeally slow going but that's one place people behind me are usually not in a huge hurry, so I just don't care! But yeah every low-FE situation where you can reduce or eliminate the use of the ICE makes a significant difference. And the hill thing is something I hadn't seen anyone else mention explicitly before--glad to see I'm not the only one!

Old 08-10-2007, 06:55 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nash
For San Francisco, 35mpg with a 15 mile commute is not bad. You will see noticeably better mileage when you take trips in the 20 to 30 mile range. Here are a few things that can help you get better mileage:

Look ahead and try to avoid using the brakes, instead coast to slow down when possible. On down hill sections, ride the brakes to slow down gradually instead of stopping all at once at the next light or traffic jam.

Accelerate at a reasonable rate past your target speed by a few mph. Then back off the gas until you can hold 45 to 55mpg on the mpg gauge. Going up hill, get moving, then back off and maintain your speed. Slowly accelerating up a hill kills mileage. So does speed. Avoid going over 70mph, and keep it between 60 and 65 on highways when safe for best mileage.

Mileage will improve if you air up the tires to 40psi, use ECO mode, avoid A/C or defroster usage, and avoid slow acceleration.

Force full hybrid mode by stopping while the warmed up ICE is running (tap the gas to force the ICE to start if needed) and letting the ICE stop after 7-10 seconds. Once in full hybrid mode, the ICE will almost always stop anytime you coast or slow down from any speed under 40mph.
This is great advice!!! Thank you for taking the time to compose this reply. THanks!!

Old 08-10-2007, 06:59 AM
Enthusiast

Great advice! Thanks for taking the time to post a reply!

Quick Reply: Am I driving wrong

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands