800 mile tank!

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 11:06 AM
Happy 07 TCH Owner
Default Re: 800 mile tank!

Speed, terrian, weather, ECO mode, AC, distance traveled, (short trips kill FE), and driving habits all effect FE. There are other threads that discuss most all these factors if not all in this forum.

Old 07-04-2007, 01:47 PM
SPL
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

chestr — If your TCH isn't yet ready to shut its ICE down and go into EV mode, you can force it to do so by taking your foot off the accelerator and briefly shifting into 'B' (it's perfectly safe to do this, even at speed) and then back into 'D' after you hear the ICE rev up ("engine braking"). This procedure will put the TCH into "fuel-cut" mode — the ICE is spinning powered by MG1 with electricity from MG2, but using no fuel — and it will enter EV mode when your speed drops below ~64 km/h (~40 mph).

Stan

Old 07-10-2007, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by LOL TCH
Your reading too much into my posts. Going "fast" down hill is about 68mph, and going "slow" uphill is about 63mph. These speed fluctuations never influence traffic in a negative way. What is dangerous is the aggressiveness of drivers doing 80mph. Also, going 45-50 mph on a road that is parallel to the freeway that I could take is simply doing the speed limit. The additional time spent behind the wheel because of driving more slowly is really minimal. It adds only minutes to the commute and I get great gas mileage. Don't get me wrong, I still have to use the freeway but I avoid it as much as I can. On this particuar tank of 260 miles, 230 are pure highway and I'm getting 49.9mpg so far. If going the speed limit, or a few miles under, is considered being a "blue hair" then I guess I'm one.
Well I didn't start witht he blue hair comment but it's true that most blue hair drivers that I've encountered drive below the limit or at. So yes you are... and no you should not take that in a negative way. But driving below the limit or at the limit is not the norm. I am not saying that you should drive above the limit but your mpg numbers should reflect the way it was achieved.

I am more impressed with achieving excellent mpg while maintaining the exact same commute time. Than achieving excellent mpg at the cost of more commute time.

Old 07-10-2007, 11:15 AM
Active Enthusiast

Adding 5 minutes to my regular commute time and avoiding big fines and tickets is more worth it to me than doing over the limit and having to slow down every time I see a police patrol car on the highway.

My regular commute time was 55 minutes doing speeds 70mph+. Now it is 1hr doing speeds 60mph+ (Sometimes I can get up to 85 mph depending on the slopes of the road). I definitely am positive that now I won't get a speeding ticket and I don't have to slow down when I see highway patrol cars.

I don't consider that driving like an old blue haired lady. I consider it as driving wisely (I'm only 23 btw and I used to drive crazy up until 1 month ago doing speeds as high as 120mph).

Old 07-10-2007, 11:37 AM

You guys ROCK (I mean suck ... ) just kidding....

Old 07-10-2007, 01:46 PM

Let me see if I can add few thoughts here:
1. Usually when you see highway patrol it's too late to slow down, if you were really speeding and they were out to fill quotas for a month you got ticket, at least how it is around my area, besides here they have unmarked police cars, you don't even know it's a cop even if you crash into him, unless he puts those flashing lights on.
2. I also drive very fast sometimes and it's fine as long as you remember that at 120MPH, even something as simple as tire blow up could be very dangerous and if you get into accident, even if it's the other guy screw up at that speed chance of walking away alive is not that big. You would also loose you driver license and possibly your car if the cops clock you that fast in my state (NY)
3. Usually people who accuse others of driving like old ladies are the ones I pass everyday park on the side of road with smashed front ends, causing traffic for miles.
At the end of the day, it's not important how fast you got there, but that you got there at all. I did my share of some really crazy driving but I came to conclusion that I can't be lucky all the time.

Originally Posted by chiedoziedike
Adding 5 minutes to my regular commute time and avoiding big fines and tickets is more worth it to me than doing over the limit and having to slow down every time I see a police patrol car on the highway.

My regular commute time was 55 minutes doing speeds 70mph+. Now it is 1hr doing speeds 60mph+ (Sometimes I can get up to 85 mph depending on the slopes of the road). I definitely am positive that now I won't get a speeding ticket and I don't have to slow down when I see highway patrol cars.

I don't consider that driving like an old blue haired lady. I consider it as driving wisely (I'm only 23 btw and I used to drive crazy up until 1 month ago doing speeds as high as 120mph).

Old 07-10-2007, 07:07 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pete4
Let me see if I can add few thoughts here:
1. Usually when you see highway patrol it's too late to slow down, if you were really speeding and they were out to fill quotas for a month you got ticket, at least how it is around my area, besides here they have unmarked police cars, you don't even know it's a cop even if you crash into him, unless he puts those flashing lights on.
2. I also drive very fast sometimes and it's fine as long as you remember that at 120MPH, even something as simple as tire blow up could be very dangerous and if you get into accident, even if it's the other guy screw up at that speed chance of walking away alive is not that big. You would also loose you driver license and possibly your car if the cops clock you that fast in my state (NY)
3. Usually people who accuse others of driving like old ladies are the ones I pass everyday park on the side of road with smashed front ends, causing traffic for miles.

At the end of the day, it's not important how fast you got there, but that you got there at all. I did my share of some really crazy driving but I came to conclusion that I can't be lucky all the time.

Truth is I've been stopped a few times and gotten lucky with warnings and other fines.... I totally agree with your statement "it's not important how fast you got there, but that you got there at all."

Old 07-09-2008, 06:17 PM
700 Mi Camry Club Member

The "Bugs" Camry has a real good shot at 810-830 miles this go around. At 51.4 mpg...she has been sipping in the Hot Sun of the Cajun Coast . I'm just "over" 1/4 of a tank left at 600 miles. I'm hoping around 700 miles when the yellow light ticks off . In any case...I'm proud she has done so well gliding through the flatlands. She has been as high as 53.0 mpg at times but seems bent on settling in around 52 mpg towards the finish line. Honestly, the price of gasoline has really driven me to do my very best. Wish me and my "Bugs" luck. I will post updates as I near the end.

Last edited by bugs; 07-09-2008 at 06:22 PM.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:25 PM
700 Mi Camry Club Member

Update: Currently 750 miles on bugs Camry. MFD shows 51.6 mpg. I estimate the following gallons used based on subtraction of:

2 from 51.6= 49.6 mpg = 15.12 gallons used. Should hit 800 miles on a tank of gas with 16.2 gallons used.

3 from 51.6=48.6 mpg = 15.43 gallons used. Should hit 800 miles on a tank of gas with
16.5 gallons used.

4 from 51.6= 47.6 mpg = 15.75 gallons used. Should hit 800 miles on a tank of gas with 16.7 gallons used.

Since the bugs has been around 50+ mpg for as long as I can remember on this tank...I believe I will use 16.2 gallons used with 1 gallon to spare. I'm confident and going for the 800+ run.

Old 07-17-2008, 08:28 AM
700 Mi Camry Club Member

I filled up this morning at my favorite Shell station. So here are my results :

800.1 miles
MFD 51.7 mpg
Filled up with 16 gallons of Shell regular unleaded
Price per gallon at Shell was $3.99
Yellow Fill Light came on at 678 miles

The Bugs was really impressive. I got the impression it was sipping in the sun
Will add picture tonight when I get the compact Flash disk back to the house.

Obviously, I'm impressed with the Camry Hybrid. Just what the doctor ordered during high
oil prices.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
800.pdf (53.9 KB, 33 views)

Last edited by bugs; 07-17-2008 at 05:31 PM.

Quick Reply: 800 mile tank!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands