700 Mile Tank Club

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 06:21 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 700 Mile Tank Club

Just got my TCH from NC, I live in Mississauga, ON. It was pleasure to drive back home. My first fillup was at 700 miles.

Old 09-03-2007, 02:18 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Good way to foul an injector

Shouldn't be an issue with a new car though - not too much gunk in the tank yet.

Old 09-06-2007, 09:16 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

So made my third 700+ mile tank... Final MFD mileage was 47.6, though just "topping off" to the next nickel it calculated to 45.8 mpg. Just starting the "no topping off" thing so still waiting to see how that will affect things (did someone say the "cruising range" doesn't increase when you top it off too much?).

But yeah, the weekend killed my mileage as expected! A full 1 mpg lost between having trouble finding parking in the city twice, running to the video store and back, and the gym and back, and doing laundry. After almost 700 miles to have that little driving have such an impact...! Sad. Hehe.

Looks like I probably could have made a 750 mile tank but just as well I didn't shoot for an 800-miler.

Old 09-06-2007, 09:41 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chestr
So made my third 700+ mile tank... Final MFD mileage was 47.6, though just "topping off" to the next nickel it calculated to 45.8 mpg. Just starting the "no topping off" thing so still waiting to see how that will affect things (did someone say the "cruising range" doesn't increase when you top it off too much?).
I fill until it clicks off, then hit it one more time. It almost always takes 2/10 of a gallon more. I finally saw my MTE display over 700 miles!

Old 09-07-2007, 07:22 PM
Enthusiast

How do you get it to have such a high cruising range? Is it based on your mileage for the previous tank? Mine only says like 515

Old 09-07-2007, 08:08 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I think you have to make that kind of mileage (meaning getting high mileage and going past cruising range of 0), and it's possible you have to do it without over-topping the tank. Someone mentioned somewhere (this thread? can't remember) that if you top it off too much it doesn't seem to adjust the cruising range. Maybe it just decides you're using all this gas but the tank is still full so it doesn't know what's going on? I've just started doing the no-topping thing and I see it seeming to go up now... Not sure what it was before my last couple of fills but solidly over 600 at this point. Guessing if I keep doing this it'll start showing closer to 700 before long.

That's just my take on it.

Old 09-08-2007, 12:37 AM
Active Enthusiast

The TCH has a pretty sophisticated evaporative emissions system (to meet the PZEV standards). I'm quite sure the manual warns against topping off the tank.

I don't remember the details (it's kind of late), but I think there is a charcoal canister that can get filled with gas if you overfill the tank.

Old 09-10-2007, 06:08 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nash
I fill until it clicks off, then hit it one more time. It almost always takes 2/10 of a gallon more. I finally saw my MTE display over 700 miles!

That pic is way cool Nash!

Old 09-26-2007, 10:12 PM
Enthusiast
Smile Re: 700 Mile Tank Club

Woo hoooo! I made it too. I hit 714.4 miles today, and when I filled the tank to the second click it was 16.023 gallons. Still had a gallon plus in the tank.

It was now or never for me. Winter is coming and the nights are already getting down to the 30's so it's harder to get good gas mileage (I think my new block heater is helping). I also lost my carpool partner for the week so my car was a little lighter with less hills to go up. I was hoping to do this before my car was much older and more crud in the tank.

Hmmm.....now if I could only figure out the right way to add my picture, but atleast I got it on here.

Attached Files
File Type: doc
Doc1.doc (67.5 KB, 19 views)
Old 09-27-2007, 05:40 AM
Dazed and Confused

With today's fuel formulations, there is not much change of getting "gunk" in your tank. (Unless you get some bad gas.)

Besides, if you have gunk in your tank, the fuel pickup will suck it up if the tank is full or empty. The fuel pickup is at the bottom of the tank regardless of how much fuel is in your tank.

Quick Reply: 700 Mile Tank Club

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands