700 Mile Tank Club

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 06:18 PM
Active Enthusiast
Arrow 700 Mile Tank Club

Now that the weather has warmed up and our FE is increasing, it would be interesting to see how many of us can reach 700 miles on a tank of gas.

I know that Nash and LOL TCH have both done it a number of times. I also recall that someone else reported doing it. It has been my goal for a while but I've chickened out several times because of uncertainty on how much gas I had left.

I expect to be able to do it soon.

Old 06-19-2007, 08:15 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 700 Mile Tank Club

Unless you can get around real 45MPG (17.2X45=774miles), I would not risk it at all (it is not worth it).

Old 06-19-2007, 08:23 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Funny thing, how fast one gets used to 500+ miles on one tank of gas. I've neared the 600 mile mark, but always chicken out once the crusing range hits 0. Then I put in a tad more than 15 gallons and think, jeeze, I could have gone another 70+ miles.

Old 06-20-2007, 05:30 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by agnosto
Unless you can get around real 45MPG (17.2X45=774miles), I would not risk it at all (it is not worth it).
I agree with agnosto. Unless the MFD says the tank is doing over 45 mpg I don't try. In my experience, the MFD is often 1 to 1.5 mpg higher than my manual calculation. My last tank was 700.3 miles, using 15.8 gallons. The MFD read 45.5, but I got 44.3 actual. I usually fill up at the same place (Shell) and the same pump.

As others have noted, the TCH has about 3 gallons left when the low fuel light comes on, and about 2.5 gallons left when the needle rests on the E mark. I usually zero the B trip at E, and go around 40 miles or so and fill up. I don't want to use the last gallon up - it helps cool the fuel pump and is my emergency reserve.

Old 06-20-2007, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by H2O Doctor
Now that the weather has warmed up and our FE is increasing, it would be interesting to see how many of us can reach 700 miles on a tank of gas.

I know that Nash and LOL TCH have both done it a number of times. I also recall that someone else reported doing it. It has been my goal for a while but I've chickened out several times because of uncertainty on how much gas I had left.

I expect to be able to do it soon.
Sorry in advance for my long post and ramblings...

Funny thing. You say "...now that the weather has warmed up and our FE is increasing..." Well..here in Tucson, on my last tank full, I had the worst mileage since my purchase last July, with the warm (read HOT!) weather we have had, over 103 degrees for the past several weeks. If there was ever any doubt that the A/C effects mileage on the TCH, I am now a believer that it does. My last tank was "only" 36.4mpg, while I had been averaging 39-40 consistantly, with the same type of driving. Not complaining, mind you, as the wifes V6 Highlander is getting 19mpg.

I have been using the ECO mode exclusivly, but this week I may switch it off, for a tank full as a test... as it doesn't quite get as cold. In fact, I set the auto temp at 74, and the fan has not dropped below 1 notch below high yet. In a test yeserday, I switched off the ECO, and within a few minutes, the fan dropped to #3 speed. I realize that the fan speed is also dictated by the solar sensor on the dash, and of course, we do have alot of direct sun here...(hence no daylight savings time, we certainly don't need to SAVE it)

Speaking of ECO mode, can anyone tell me exactly what the ECO mode does mechanicly (or electronically) in regards to A/C (and heat, although I have a very hard time even thinking about using the heat right now). I think I once knew, but my gray (or is it grey?) matter is getting up there in age...yada, yada.. seems I have forgotten...let's see, what kind of car do I drive again? Where did I put my car keys, I only find a grey thingy in my pocket.

Last edited by jbollt; 06-20-2007 at 07:24 AM.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:12 AM

Same thing in Phoenix - my last two tanks have been about 32.8 with a lifetime so far of 35.9.

The A/C is KILLING my FE !!

Old 06-20-2007, 08:26 AM
One year owner!

I am glad that I am not the only one seeing low MPG in the heat. And just think, here in Phoenix, we are going above 115 for the weekend!

Old 06-20-2007, 08:37 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nash
I agree with agnosto. Unless the MFD says the tank is doing over 45 mpg I don't try. In my experience, the MFD is often 1 to 1.5 mpg higher than my manual calculation. My last tank was 700.3 miles, using 15.8 gallons. The MFD read 45.5, but I got 44.3 actual. I usually fill up at the same place (Shell) and the same pump.
I agree with both of you. I find the MFD to read 1.2 mpg higher than actual. So my calculations show that my MFD should read 45.2 mpg or higher for me to get to 700 miles. I have had several tanks that were right at the ragged edge. For me to feel comfortable, I want the MFD to read 45.5 mpg.

I guess the heat is relative for FE. In our area, the heat means temperatures up to 80F not over 100F. It seems to me that 75F is about the ideal temperature for FE. No need for much in the way of A/C and ECO works fine.

Old 06-20-2007, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by RojoToro
I am glad that I am not the only one seeing low MPG in the heat. And just think, here in Phoenix, we are going above 115 for the weekend!
Summer heat and glare is the main reason I tinted the windows on my TCH. It made a noticeable difference in how hard the AC works.

In 100F weather, I see about a 3 mpg drop when I run the AC on the highway, using recirc and ECO. I am sure 115F would drop it further. My last trip to Phoenix was in 100F temps and the TCH only managed 40MPG.

Old 06-20-2007, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by nash
Summer heat and glare is the main reason I tinted the windows on my TCH. It made a noticeable difference in how hard the AC works.....

Here in AZ, tinted windows is almost a requirement. We are even "allowed" to tint the drivers and front passengers windows, as opposed to CA, where it is often done, but "not" allowed.

BTW, we are going to your neck of the woods (San Diego) for the weekend....to cool off. Yes, the Zonies are coming!

Quick Reply: 700 Mile Tank Club

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands