6.1 VS 7.1 Nav Disk

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 07:33 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 6.1 VS 7.1 Nav Disk

I also agree $50 is high for basically no effort. Cost of supplies and mailing is maybe $10 at most. But I guess this is supply and demand 101.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:08 AM
Jer
Don't taze me bro!

Originally Posted by coolshock1
In nyceshirtz defense he did not ask anyone to send him money.
That doesn't mean that 1) he wasn't planning to take money and 2) he wasn't going to get more people onboard and make money on it. Like had he purchased the disc for $20 and then three more people paid him he would have sent me the $15? Yeah, right.

Originally Posted by mikieboyblue
I also agree $50 is high for basically no effort. Cost of supplies and mailing is maybe $10 at most. But I guess this is supply and demand 101.
That's the part where you're wrong. It was quite a bit of effort. I just paid $40 for a new map disc for an Eclipse aftermarket nav deck for my Supra and that was basically what I consider no effort. It was a direct copy with limited security protecting it. This v7.1 Hybrid disc takes more effort than that up front and I can tell you that it takes QUITE a bit more effort than the v6.1 version did. It took a lot of trial and error (read: time and money) to get a final working copy and to ask an extra ten bucks per doesn't seem like that much of a price hike to me and lots of people tend to agree and are all happy w/their purchase. My time is fairly important to me and, as I've stated already, I would have gladly paid someone $50 to have a completed copy w/o any of the effort I put into it. Considering the new v7.1 alone would run you $300+ and still wouldn't give you the ability to use your deck while in motion $50 seems like a bargain to me and is a price I would have gladly paid.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:23 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jer
That doesn't mean that 1) he wasn't planning to take money and 2) he wasn't going to get more people onboard and make money on it. Like had he purchased the disc for $20 and then three more people paid him he would have sent me the $15? Yeah, right.
I guess jer is now a soothsayer as well as a thief by saying what i was planning. as a matter of fact, i was planning on making a torrent to allow everyone the opportunity of getting the updated maps WITHOUT making a penny off of other TCH owners. Not like jer who stole information that he does not have the rights to (the 7.1 data) and is selling it at an extreme profit. jer is the one who is making the quick and illegal buck.

Last edited by nyceshirtz; 04-29-2008 at 09:30 AM.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:26 AM
Jer
Don't taze me bro!

Originally Posted by nyceshirtz
as a matter of fact, i was planning on making a torrent to allow everyone the opportunity of getting the updated maps WITHOUT making a penny off of other TCH owners. Not like you who is selling something that doesnt belong to you. you are the one who is making the quick buck.
Funny how your story changes now. Which is it, $5 a head or free? I assure it, it is anything but a quick buck. Just let it go man. It's over.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:35 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jer
Funny how your story changes now. Which is it, $5 a head or free? I assure it, it is anything but a quick buck. Just let it go man. It's over.
I don't want to jump in the middle too much, but $5 would be about the cost of making a copy. So, charging $5 to make a disc and mail it, or $0 as a torrent for someone who can make their own disc, makes sense since the torrent does not have overhead cost.

Just did not want to let that point slide.

Out of the middle now.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:38 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jer
my story hasnt changed. it was $5 up to 10 buyers to cover the amount YOU wanted for the data. As I only contacted 6 individuals, 2 said they were not interested as they already purchased it from you, so I had 4 buyers @ $5.00 each which is exactly the $20 amount I asked you to consider. YOU are the one ripping people off selling someone else's data that you do not own. Why dont you take your illegally obtained monies and donate it it a worthwhile charity instead of using it for your own gain? In case you arent aware of any wothwhile charities, the NYPD or NYFD or PAPD widows and orphans funds would be a good choice.

Last edited by nyceshirtz; 04-29-2008 at 09:44 AM.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:48 AM
Driving in stealth mode

Jer,

They have a point. First yes your time is valuable.

Second are you out to make a profit or break even.

3rd no one can really complain because what he is doing is technically illegal and we are wanting to get illegal content, technically. Personally I am willing to cover the cost to create the media and ship it. I own a version 6.1 disk and am willing to buy the 6.1 hybrid and not feel immoral about it. All want is the unlocked version.

I don't think nyceshirtz is out to make a profit, if he was he would have tried to sell me his V6.1 hybrid for $50 and he didn't. I'm not going to call anyone shady here but I think people can see what is going on.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:53 AM
Jer
Don't taze me bro!

Originally Posted by nyceshirtz
my story hasnt changed. it was $5 up to 10 buyers to cover the amount YOU wanted for the data. As I only contacted 6 individuals, 2 said they were not interested as they already purchased it from you, so I had 4 buyers @ $5.00 each which is exactly the $20 amount I asked you to consider. YOU are the one ripping people off selling someone else's data that you do not own. Why dont you take your illegally obtained monies and donate it it a worthwhile charity instead of using it for your own gain? In case you arent aware of any wothwhile charities, the NYPD or NYFD or PAPD widows and orphans funds would be a good choice.
Who says I'm not. I'm glad you know what I do with the proceeds as well as my time that stuff like this affords me. How am I ripping anyone off when they know what they're paying and getting exactly what they're paying for? Everyone who has a copy is more than happy. Seems to me that the only people complaining are those who want something for free.

Since when is NYPD, NYFD or PAPD a charity? Last I checked those were government funded agencies. I'm not a greedy person and I do a LOT of good things with my money and my time and don't need to explain myself to you. You came off as being VERY shady so I don't understand how all of a sudden you are trying to come off as some savior for your work. I never professed to be anything that I'm not nor do I seek glory for what I do to give back to the community (and I'm not speaking of this 'community' either). I don't see people who own navigation units (myself included) as a needy cause but do work with those much more in need on a daily basis. The things I do allow me the time to work with those truly in need and I'm not looking for a pat on the back for my efforts so I'm not going to talk here about what I do any further.

It's just a disc. Let's not turn this into something that it's not.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:57 AM
Jer
Don't taze me bro!

This is turning into a huge storm of unrelated stuff so I'm going to bow out of this thread now. I don't have the time to try to defend myself on the internet so say what you will. The information is there for those that are interested and if you're not, cool. I'm not forcing anyone to buy anything so not sure where all the negativity came from.

Old 04-29-2008, 10:02 AM
Driving in stealth mode

Originally Posted by Jer
This is turning into a huge storm of unrelated stuff so I'm going to bow out of this thread now. I don't have the time to try to defend myself on the internet so say what you will. The information is there for those that are interested and if you're not, cool. I'm not forcing anyone to buy anything so not sure where all the negativity came from.
Yes you have been an adult about it and no we (at least me) don't know you. You could be a saint for all we know.

Also you have to admit that sh@t was getting slung both ways.

See both sides of the story though.

I personally can live without the disc.

Quick Reply: 6.1 VS 7.1 Nav Disk

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands