2007 hybrid, this could be dangerous....

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 12:44 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2007 hybrid, this could be dangerous....

Originally Posted by jay_man2
At least we can sit in the comfort of our own homes or offices and gripe about the operation of features on our automobiles on the Internet, and not have to worry about walking to school uphill both ways barefoot in the snow carrying our ham biscuits in a tin bucket.
lol

Old 02-19-2008, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by jay_man2
...carrying our ham biscuits in a tin bucket.
You had a tin bucket? My paper bag was always getting wet.

Old 02-19-2008, 02:21 PM
SPL

My previous Camry (1993 LE V6), came out just after they mandated DRLs in Canada. It was sort-of kludged onto the non-DRL (US) version of the time by adding an additional fuse/relay box under the hood to implement the DRL function. It switched on all the tail, side marker, and running lights together with reduced-intensity (high-beam) headlights when one took the car out of Park. The reduced-intensity DRL headlights were achieved by putting the L and R high-beams in series (nominally 1/4 the normal power). So, that vehicle had the feature you're requesting, but burned out side-marker bulbs every few years. If I think that mist, fog, or other conditions make seeing my TCH difficult from the rear, I switch to the "running lights" position of the headlight switch. If it's really bad, I go to full headlights.

Stan

Old 02-26-2008, 10:37 AM
HSD Organic Interface

Originally Posted by chris_h
Cars are dangerous. I need it to stop for me if I forget to put my foot on the brake, otherwise I might crash... ;-)
Already on its way. I believe Lexus is already beginning install of such systems. But it will only slow you down and not stop completely, just in case you really did want to crash into something.

Lots of human frailty gizmos coming out. Cameras that watch your eyes to make sure you're watching the road and not dozing. What's next, a built in heart monitor? And for the successful aging man, when is Lexus going to start offering prostate exams while you drive!?

Old 02-26-2008, 11:17 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SPL
My previous Camry (1993 LE V6), came out just after they mandated DRLs in Canada. It was sort-of kludged onto the non-DRL (US) version of the time by adding an additional fuse/relay box under the hood to implement the DRL function. It switched on all the tail, side marker, and running lights together with reduced-intensity (high-beam) headlights when one took the car out of Park. The reduced-intensity DRL headlights were achieved by putting the L and R high-beams in series (nominally 1/4 the normal power). So, that vehicle had the feature you're requesting, but burned out side-marker bulbs every few years. If I think that mist, fog, or other conditions make seeing my TCH difficult from the rear, I switch to the "running lights" position of the headlight switch. If it's really bad, I go to full headlights.

Stan
Interesting comments Stan.

I too live in Canada and I owned a 1992 Camry LE V6 that I sold at the time I purchased the Hybrid.

I believe it had the same system for DRL's and in the 15 years I owned the vehicle I replaced the tail lights and headlamps once. The side marker lamps were still functioning at the time of sale and they had never been replaced.

Cheers
Steve

Old 02-26-2008, 11:36 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Droid13
Already on its way. I believe Lexus is already beginning install of such systems. But it will only slow you down and not stop completely, just in case you really did want to crash into something.

Lots of human frailty gizmos coming out. Cameras that watch your eyes to make sure you're watching the road and not dozing. What's next, a built in heart monitor? And for the successful aging man, when is Lexus going to start offering prostate exams while you drive!?
I believe Volvo's one partially brakes. MB, Toyota (Lexus) and Honda systems fully brake down to 0km/h. I'm sure you're aware of the A-PCS on the LS then?

Volvo S80 has a heartbeat monitor but it's used to monitor for intruders, not the driver.

The LS has infrared sensors to monitor body temperature (those equipped with the 4-zone automatic climate control system) to adjust the climate system accordingly to keep the passengers comfortable.

Old 02-26-2008, 12:19 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Droid13

They do, its called the Serbian lol